“Ultimate relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

20% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 175 Hotels in Bophut
“Ultimate relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I have never written a review before but I certainly read them. I read them to the extent that a week before our trip to Thailand I was so concerned by some of the reviews of the hotel I wished to change to another hotel. Thank goodness we couldn't.

Having travelled a lot in Thailand before this hotel retains real Thai charm that you just don't get in other hotels. The grounds are beautiful, the pool very clean and sun loungers always available (even at peak times). The staff were great and the breakfast had much more choice than we expected. The rooms could be bigger and perhaps have a bit of an update but that doesn't take away from the fantastic views (we stayed in a delux sea view- room 302 is very near the front so the view was amazing) and little touches that make your stay unique. I haven't stayed in a hotel where the manager holds a drinks and canapes evening for all guests in the grounds making for a pleasant start to an evening and genuinely makes you feel that the company is grateful for your business.

Nearby Fishermans village was fantastic- great reasonable restaurants. Don't miss the Friday night market. Anantara is literally 5 mins away so you can also pop over for lunch.

Yes drinks around the pool are expensive (unless you get them in happy hour) but I'm not sure what people expect from a 5 star hotel- its the same anywhere you stay around the world. Yes there are mosquitos, its a tropical country- just buy jungle spray before you go.

My only regret is that I would like to have stayed longer than the week we did.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
ManishJha, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2011
Dear WJB1981 ,

Thank you very much for your comments. As mentioned in my previous response that we pride ourselves on ensuring that guests leave with a fond memory and a few wonderful stories of their stay at our resort. We all at Anantara Bophut are glad to know that we have been successful in making your stay a memorable one. Your comments have been shared with all our staff members which helps them motivated and offer 5 star standards.

Thank you very much for highlighting all the positives. We hope that you would offer us the opportunity to serve you again in future.

mjha@anantara.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Thai first
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

i stayed in this hotel in the second week of jan..and it was all that i hoped for.. .as i had researched extensively on the net ..this place was exactly what it projected on its website..the staff was courteous.never intruding..the rooms though small were cosy
being a tropical country ..i expected mosquitos ..but they were not a problem!!!..
the beach ,the sunrise the sunset...are imprinted in my memory..
i must add that manager ..manish is so full of life,, always smiling& so helping..
i am definatly coming back next year!!!

Dear Green_Rachel,

Thank you for your comments and we are glad to know that you had a wonderful time at Anantara Bophut.

Your comments help us improve as well as keeps us motivated in this competitive world. We hope you would give us many more opportunities to serve you our best.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

The rooms were very small and the bathrooms in need of revamping in a serious way.The amenities of the hotel were good,location great,however it took a mere 10 mins to get a cup of coffee at breakfast,prices very expensive approx 15 USD for 24 hr internet and a 1/2 litre of water at the beach costs 4 USD compared to a beach vendor at 1 USD.Overall not worth the money,much better hotels nearby at half the price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ManishJha, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear Bobbokye,

Firstly, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa.

It is really unfortunate that you did not like your stay at Anantara Bophut.
As far as rooms are concerned the room specification for each room category is mentioned in our web site and is well communicated to all the agents too.

I apologies if the coffee took 10 minutes during breakfast. Consequently, I have shared your feedback with the team; and they were disappointed too, and did impart with me that your feedback was very much taken to heart.

As far as internet is concerned I have posted earlier too that we have just upgraded our band width and the charges are in line with our competitors. However we are providing Free Internet in our Library.

Your time with us should have been a much smother and enjoyable experience.
We hope that you would return to give us the opportunity to serve you once again.
Tallinn, Estonia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Our family (with 2 small kids) had a 2-week vacation at Koh Samui. We picked Anantara Bo Phut due to 2 sources - Tripadvisor and SLH (Small Luxury Hotels). Our previous experiences with SLH had given us confidence that the hotel shall be a small boutique hotel, where real efforts are made to make the quests comfortable.

I booked the hotel directly. I was nevertheless promised same complimentary upgrade as to SLH Club Members (to next grade room, upon availability). Before flying I checked and all higher grade rooms were available. Upon arrival to the hotel I was told that everything is booked. I checked the website on spot and all higher grade rooms were available, for the whole period. Then I was just told that the hotel website does not contain correct information and all higher grade rooms are booked.

During our stay we were invited to a presentation of Anantara Vacation Club, adjacent to the hotel, opened just a couple of weeks ago. We were shown nice suites and villas, there were tens of them. Most of the rooms were vacant. We were told that as only few Vacation Club packets are sold, the hotel sells the rooms. In response to our question why should anyone trust Anantara for the next 30 years, we were proudly told that the Honourable King is a shareholder and Anantara could not risk doing anything to annoy clients.

In short - we were just bluntly denied the promised room. Explaining that guests can not rely on the hotel's website. Though the hotel had more than sufficient possibilities to offer sucbstitute rooms, they just did not care to do so. After numerous complaints the hotel offered that I visit them again and receive then a couple of free nights - if not cynical, they really do think that guests treated in poor manner do come back.

There were as well other problems, for example bed linen got changed only after a week and special request, they just forgot their promise to remember our anniversary, etc. Overall they do smile, but behind it the attitude was of a typical large arrogant hotel. Therefore we are annoyed that such hotel is marketed as a SLH hotel and felt the need to recommend other travellers to be cautious. They do know how to market themselves, but show no actual regret to tell you later that you can not rely on their promises, website.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
ManishJha, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear Guest,

I once again apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and your family during your stay at Anantara Bophut. As you are aware that we have exchanged several emails since your departure which clearly showed that at no point was an upgrade promised to you by our reservation team as it clearly mentioned that the upgrade is subject to availability. We have gone through the entire correspondence to ensure if any such promise was made which I still see as none. During your stay our team tried very hard to offer you the best of service and also provided you with a late check out. I personally sent you emails and offered you compensation but you refused, instead demanded cash refund which we are unable to do.
At the same time to ensure any such promises made we consulted with SLH and having received in writing from them that no such upgrade was promised.
I also read in your review that you are now mentioning about bed linens not changed during your stay, I see that you did not mention this concern of yours either in any of your emails exchanged with me or during we met.

Nevertheless we are heartbroken seeing Anantara termed as “arrogant hotel” where as we tried our best in offering genuine service and the staff could do their best to satisfy your stay. Unfortunately, the only thing that we cannot do is the cash refund that you demanded for after your stay.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

we stayed at the anantara bohput for a week from 14th January 2011 before moving down to the langham place for the second week of our holiday. if there was a 3.5 mark (out of 5) then that’s what i’d probably give, but it was nearer 4 than 3 so 4 it is. and the mark of 4 is almost entirely down to the absolutely charming staff who never failed to greet you with a smile and hello, in fact so nice were they that it’s difficult to be critical about the hotel without getting pangs of guilt!

our standard room was nice enough if a little tired, the bed for me wasn’t the best and the frosted glass bathroom won’t be to everyone’s taste. still there was a dvd player, good selection of tv channels, ok cosmetics. i seem to remember things being better at our last anantara stay at si kao, south of Krabi.

grounds were beautiful as was the pool which is bigger than it looks in the pictures. the stagnant pond either side of the drive was a bit of a stomach turner, must have been worse for the fish living in it. the hotel also had a great air conditioned gym with a good selection of equipment.

the location is cool as well, on a long rough sand, man-made beach. supermarkets a few yards from the gate along with eateries, massage etc. there is also a road down to the romantically named fisherman’s village where there are loads of restaurants/ bars / shops from very nice to nasty. the fishermen are long gone and it’s all a bit tacky but it’s less hectic than lamai or chaweng.

breakfast was top class at anantara. the other anantara food was expensive by local standards but of very good quality.

our biggest ‘probably won’t return grumble’ was the crowded sun bed area around the pool. if bored you could count the pimples on the person next to you (see picture). if they put their umbrella up it would take your sun. it was also crowded on the beach in a similar fashion. we expected more for the level of the hotel. they’ve recently completed an extension next door which focuses on some big suites and these front the beach. beach sun beds hadn’t been spread in front of these presumably to enhance its exclusivity. i think they should have considered the facilities for the average punters rather than a few elite guests. to add insult you had to pay for water around the pool, £2 for a bottle of local water that retails at the shop next door for 20p is plain wrong.
our other significant grumble was the absence of free wi-fi or broadband. ok you could use a pc in the library to access the internet but it’s not the same. i’m sitting on the veranda of my room at the next hotel listening to internet radio over the free wi-fi (drinking free water!)

there is also no real bar to start the evening at anantara, we went next door to the beautiful new hansar hotel and enjoyed cocktails at their happy hour. we’ll definitely have a look at this hotel in future.

overall we had a good stay but wouldn’t return unless there was some significant investment and the ‘nickle and diming’ was replaced with an ‘all part of the service’ attitude to looking after guests.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ManishJha, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Dear Markstar,

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa this month.

As mentioned earlier in my response that the weather play a major role for mosquitoes. We do fog on regular basis. For free Wi- Fi it is a misperception that Internet and Wi-Fi is cheap nowadays. In order to provide a good coverage and speed in a resort, we have to make a significant investment into infrastructure, bandwidth and software. We have upgraded our band width and also providing Free Internet in our Library and also 1 hour Wi Fi in guest room during your stay.

We do offer complimentary bottle of water in our guest room and also serve water during breakfast. We are truly sorry for the frustration and inconvenience during your stay. This is especially saddening because we at Anantara would like to bring happy memories to the guest and make the experience worthwhile and easier for everyone who chooses to spend their holiday with us.

The lily pond that we have is a traditional Thai pond designed by Bill Bensley, who is a very famous designer within our trade. Although it is an individual liking I would not like to comment on the design of the hotel.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff’s hospitality and the same has been communicated to our staff members.
Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and provide you the positive Anantara experience you have come to expect from us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Being a loyal customer and having stayed at the Anantara for the last 5 years and booking at least 2 rooms I have to say I was quite disappointed on this occasion , i stayed from 1st Jan to the 15th and noticed a considerable drop in the high standards that had made me re visit so often,

Being a frequent traveller and always staying in 5 star hotels i find its the little touches that make a hotel stand out, the Anantara branded bathroom accessories have been replaced by cheaper versions, Housekeeping no longer fold a little towel up in the shape of a monkey ( that was a nice little touch ) I had a suite and found it to be quite dark and dingy the cushions on the terrace were not cleaned during my stay, They have done away with the complimentary cocktail hour when you book a suite, In the evening more often than not there was no hot water in the shower and on the odd occasion no water at all.

The other thing i found irritating was the time share salesman buzzing around the pool and beach all day trying to get you to sign up for a time share on the new suites they have built.

The previous year the manager had said he would upgrade me to a nicer room as a reward for loyalty and bringing many friends to stay at the hotel, Unfortunately this did not happen which I found a bit disappointing .

I just believe that when you sell yourself as a 5 star and by no means cheap hotel you set the standards then you have to keep to them, , The mosquito problem was horrendous this year and in 2 weeks i only saw the grounds sprayed twice, Also whatever anyone says the majority of 5 star hotels supply free wi fi ( not just in the library )

On the positive side although they have clearly lost some staff the old ones, like Tooky and the pool team, the girls in reception , Oy , Don the chef , Lilly at breakfast and the new addition Sebastian are all superb ,very helpful, very friendly and really do make you feel special.

I love the location and the fact you can walk into fishermans village where there is an plenty of excellent bars and restaurants to cater for everyones budget and tastes.

I will miss all the staff but for me the place is starting to look a bit dated , having visited the Hansar next door and being shown around by a very helpful manager who had already emailed me before i arrived home I will be giving that one a go, There is some top Hotels opening on Samui and I really think Anantara need to up there game a bit if they want to market there self at the top end.

Dear Flairman,

Being a regular guest of Anantara we upgraded you to our Anantara suite and a bottle of wine as a special gesture. As far as the room amenities are concerned in all of our guest’s room, we have changed and upgraded it to higher standard with more professional packing. I take your comments that you did not like it personally. We will monitor this with many of our other guests and should their not be a liking we would certainly review them.

My sincere apology if our newest Vacation Club has not been clearly introduced to you. I have shared your comment with the team in order to ensure that the concept of it will be better communicated. I am sure that you must have enjoyed the THB 3,000 voucher which you received after attending the introduction with the vacation club team.

I am sorry if the previous manger promised to you that you will be upgraded to higher category. We did upgrade you to Anantara Suite but unfortunately Royal Anantara suite was occupied during your whole stay, should that have been available we would have been more than happy to offer you the same at no extra cost.

As mentioned earlier in my response that the weather play a major role for mosquitoes. We do fog on regular basis. For free Wi- Fi it is a misperception that Internet and Wi-Fi is cheap nowadays. In order to provide a good coverage and speed in a resort, we have to make a significant investment into infrastructure, bandwidth and software. We have just upgraded our band width and also providing Free Internet in our Library and also 1 hour Wi Fi in guest room during your stay.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff’s hospitality. The old staffs which we have lost in-fact moved on for better opportunities within our company. Few of them have moved to Maldives and few within Thailand.

We are evolving on regular basis to be with the trend. I am sure you must have noticed that we have changed all the TV to flat screen and also the new bathroom amenities and we have added the new sun beds in pool areas too. We have also added 20 brand new pool villas in our inventory

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Ment to be a trip of a life time for my young familly i feel very disapointed because of the standard and the responce of the manager of the anantara bophut .Beware of this moscito ridden place. Upon arrival to the hotel we were driven down the drive through which can only be described as a swamp the water was green and stank.we were taken to our room which was like walking through some council flats the room was dirty the windows were covered in finger marks the bath and shower were covered in stains and the water was brown .we were told this was because it was island water but ive been to samui before and know this was not the case in other hotels . we booked the hotel for new year at an agreed rate of 16900 per night only to be billed for over 20,000 per night due to the service charge that was unexplained when booking and was sneaked into the small print on the cheacking in form .When i complained about the extra charges the told me if i didnt pay the extra they would get the police and i would not be able to leave .i certanly would not have booked the hotel if these charges had been made clear and feel like ive been scammed .so trapped i had to pay this EXTRA charge .so to sum up over rated over charged and tainted the whole trip if going to samui avoid this one go to the marriot or cheweng regent for half the price and feel like youve got good value and not been ripped off

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear Udonliving,

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to write to us and share the concerns and frustrations that you encountered during your stay at the resort. We pride ourselves on ensuring that guests leave with a fond memory and a few wonderful stories of their stay at our resort. As you can imagine, I’m saddened to learn that we have failed on this occasion.
As far as your booking is concerned it was done by one of your colleague is Bangkok and the entire confirmation letter with all the additional charges were mentioned on the confirmation note. We have 18.7 % of tax with the room charge which is mentioned in our web site. All the 5 star resort have the tax. However, the tax structure varies from country to country as per their laws, which I would not comment on.

My apology on behalf of the team if they have communicated to you saying that they will call police if the payment is not done. A strong action has been taken against the staff who mentioned so.

I do understand that weather did not play a good role during your stay at Bophut. We are truly sorry for the frustration and inconvenience during your stay. This is especially saddening because we at Anantara would like to bring happy memories to the guest and make the experience worthwhile and easier for everyone who chooses to spend their holiday with us.

mjha@anantara.com

Been to Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!