My new wife and I spent 10 days here in June 2014 for our honeymoon. We'd spent the previous 8 months watching all the new fantastic reviews get added so had big expectations before arriving, and thankfully we weren't disappointed.
After 14 months of hectic wedding planning the Tongsai Bay was a perfect place to go and relax; so much so that we didn't leave the hotel for the first 3 days.
We had booked a Seafront Cottage and the hotel put us up in cottage 214. I would say that this is the farthest cottage away from the lobby, apart from the more expensive Hideaway Cottage. Being a newly married couple the more isolated location didn't bother us (if you get my drift!) but it might be something for some prospective guests to consider. Even with a buggy to and from the hotel facilities, there are still some steps to walk before reaching the room. The view from the room though was fantastic, and it was so quiet out there, other than noises from wildlife outside which didn't really bother us. As mentioned in previous reviews the interior of the cottages consists of lots of dark wood, but this ties in perfectly with the look and style of the hotel. It's obvious from other reviews and photos that this is not an ultra contemporary hotel, and we were happier for that. It's by no means old and decrepit. Instead my wife and I found the cottage and rest of the hotel amenities exuded warmth and tranquility. The cottage was always really clean and the staff were always friendly and courteous when cleaning and turning down in the evening. The only tiny negative about our room, and I mean tiny, was that the veranda was fully shaded by 1pm. We still had our choice of loungers round the pools and at the beach when we still wanted some afternoon sun.
Breakfast was very tasty with decent variety of foods available. If anyone has the recipe for the breakfast smoothie that had carrots in it, please message me lol I can't remember what else was in it and want to make my own :(
We ate in all three restaurants and whilst all three were very tasty, my wife and I preferred Butlers tapas over the other two. Chef Choms was actually our least favourite. The hotel also put on a cinema night one evening on the beach. We sat on large bean bags enjoying the film with a free bag of popcorn each. There were lightning storms lighting up the sky in the distance which added to the evening enjoyment. Unfortunately the BBQ night was cancelled the week we were there and we'd been looking forward to that :(
My wife and I used the gym a few times during rain showers and it was well equipped with modern machinery and free bottled water. We also had a free massage at the spa as part of our hotel package, but we also went back a couple of times for other treatments. The setting for it was lovely amongst the trees, the costs were perhaps a third cheaper than what we might pay at a smart UK spa and the treatments themselves were nice, albeit maybe a bit average.
We utilized the taxi company a few times who were employed by the hotel. We found the fare to be similar to a local private hire taxi company in the UK. We always arranged a return time for collection and the taxis always turned up on time.
Free wifi pretty much everywhere on the hotel grounds was great when we needed it and it was quick enough for video calls, streaming etc.
As mentioned on other reviews, the staff were what really makes this hotel stand head and shoulders above other places. We didn't meet one staff member who didn't greet us with a smile and a warm welcome. Everyone without exception went out of their way to make us feel special. My wife and I want to thank everyone in the hotel for that and hope this gets back to them.
We have some amazing memories from our stay here and we'll never forget this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tongsai Bay is located on Ko Samui, an island in the Gulf of Thailand just a short travel distance by air from Bangkok and across the southern peninsula. The view of Tongsai Bay is hypnotic, as its set amidst a secluded ocean cove; an eco-friendly colony of cottages, low rise buildings and villas barely displacing the lush greenery on the hills of the island's northeast corner. 3 restaurants serve Thai, and international food and the hotel hosts regular live music for evening entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your The Tongsai Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tongsai Bay Cottages Hotel Bophut
- Tongsai Bay Cottages And Hotel
- Tongsai Bay Hotel
- Tongsai Bay Resort
- The Tongsai Bay Ko Samui/Bophut