“Awesome views and coktails, food is a mixed bag” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #122 of 301 Restaurants in Bophut
Cuisines: Tapas, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Awesome views and coktails, food is a mixed bag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Wow views and great concept for a lounge. They have great bed seating upstairs for the lounge with amazing views of Chaweng lake and beach behind it. The service is extraordinary - best we've had in Thailand, but the food was mixed. The gnocchi with pesto was incredible!!! The tempura prawns with risotto were not good - the risotto was actually just rice in a tomato sauce while the prawns were undercooked and needed to be sent back. Would definitely recommend coming here for drinks and light appetizers. But go elsewhere for dinner.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
SathitMuangprom, Manager at 9Gems Lounge & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Drink Travel

Thank you for your comments and your complement about service, ambiance of 9Gems and some part of our food, you have eaten just 3 different things from our menu 2 starters and 1 risotto that you both shared with each other. We still have many dishes ,that you can try. About the King prawn risotto, we normally never cooked risotto rice just with the tomato sauce.We always slowly cooked the king prawn stock with the tomato first, and after that we put risotto rice in that sauce and fellowed by prawn,We normally cooked the prawn medium more to well done because many people don't like well done, it will be very chewing.

Our prawn that we have are selected with the high quality, which are really fresh from the market, after you asked us to recook the king prawn tempura till well,we did that for you and our host asked you, if it was okay with your food, you said yes. we would like to apologize if our food did not meet your expectation or maybe did not suits your taste, but if you said the risotto is not good you should send it back instead of sending back just to recook the king prawn tempura and ate it all.

At 9gems you can always refuse, if the food is not meet your expectation after 2 spoon of tasting you can replace by another dish or give it back without any charge, according to the confirmation of 2 staffs you ate all of the risotto, even though you said it is not good. I myself will not eat something not good. If I go to the high-end restaurant.

Thank you and We really appreciate your visit and comments hope that you can try another dish for your next visit..

Christ manager and Sathit owner

San Francisco, California, United States
“Hip, Spectacular Views and Service, but not Quite There on Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I visited 9Gems for dinner. The property is beautiful, very hip and the service is second to none. However, we had a few disappointments with the food, particularly given the very steep prices. For example, the green curry dish included potatoes and minimal vegetables while not including traditional Thai ingredients for green curry such as fresh pea and apple eggplant, aromatics and so on. Though the curry sauce itself was superb, the dish reminded me of a poor substitute effort that one would find in the States. Similarly, and on the topic of lacking authenticity, the so-called soufflé was not a soufflé; it was a lava cake. For the price, I found it quite unexpected to experience these culinary errors. Nevertheless, the drinks were excellent, the place is very hip and the views are spectacular. My recommendation is to visit for cocktails on the roof with a group of friends and leave it at that.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
SathitMuangprom, Inhaber at 9Gems Lounge & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Michael M

Thank you for your visit and your comments, and that you like the ambiance service and the whole design of 9Gems.

About the food sorry that it was not the way that you get use to it, but you have ate not just one dish in that night you should tell us at that time, that you did not like the way we cooked green curry I have discussed with you but you have never mentioned that. about soufflé that is the way I leaned in Switzerland souffle or fondant is french word, originally come from France it is the same or similar like your American Lava cake. we can call it Chocolate fondant too if you read a few comments from the European they really love this chocolate fondant or soufflé it is the similar recipes, I don't know how you do that in your hometown, but the one we made is originally from Swiss-French.

Hope you can come to visit us again then we will try to do the way you love to eat.

Sathit
Bendigo
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend took me here during our stay in Chaweng. Wowee this place is amazing! Cocktails were beautiful, the attentive staff were just lovely. We only stayed for one drink, as being low season there was only one other couple there. Couldn't imagine how good this place would be packed! The very lucky owners live onsite! What a dream home!! Will recommend to others, and will definetly be back with friends! Thanks for the experience.

Visited July 2013
Dear Ashlea953
Thank you very much for your complement and that you like 9Gems, as you can feel and see that 9Gems is more like home for private dining, we love to take very good care of our guest and to make all of them very happy, every details have been made with love from the Architect to the food.

Look forward to welcoming you again.

Sathit
Brighton, Victoria, Australia
“A Must Have Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Words can not explain how amazing this place was. The moment we arrived the service was AA+ and world class. The retro furniture, the food, cocktails and the view took my breath away. The owner even came over to our table to ask if the food was ok. I do not understand how anyone could find a fault with this place. if you don't want to pay $27 for a beer then don't order one!!! I will definitely be telling everyone in Australia this place is a must and is truely beautiful. Yes the prices are expensive for Samui but you get what you pay for and I would have paid double for the experience we had. A big thank you for a wonderful romantic dinner. Jill Wright & Steve Tingay - Australia

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SathitMuangprom, Inhaber at 9Gems Lounge & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Jill W

Thank you very much for your comment and your understanding of our concept, while I read your comment I was nearly cry, cry because of the happiness, what I have create and done in my life for Samui to bring up the high standard of venue as an international, it is not just the food but I have tried to make it perfect for everything, because it is always my passion, design, cooking, host our guests tell them the story of the background idea and to see our guests are happy ,when we host them and can see in their eyes how happy, they are. Starting to create 9Gems, I have never thought to make a lot of money with it, I wanted to create some thing very special, because it was my dream to be an Architect and I love cooking, when I was young. After designed exterior and interior design of 9Gems by myself, and built it. It is my satisfaction that many people love Architecture of 9gems so this satisfaction is first priority of the return of our investment, the money is just the second.

Thank you so much again and look forward to welcoming you again when you are in Samui

With warm regards

Sathit Muangprom

Owner and Director
Adelaide, Australia
“over rated, over the top, over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

30 of us went here for a business dinner. it was an unorganised, the aircon didnt work, the drink prices were ridiculous......$27 (aust) for a beer, $33 for a vodka. The staff were trying to be helpful but ended up just being annoying. When the food finally arrived (set menu) it was average at best,. The location was ok with a nice view but that was all. A disappointing experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Steve B

Thank you for your comments, first of all would like to explain to you again, that we have organized everything before you came ready around the pool, as you have experienced that when you arrive the storm has started, we have to move everything in few minutes in side in bar area. The food has been organized by your company, but the drinks you had to order and pay directly yourself, before we finished preparing the space for you, everyone tried to order drinks and paid, I know that was difficult, to take care of all of you when every one were running around. We have tried to tell every one to sit first, before ordering but somehow it was difficult to tell. As mentioned. when every one were in the bar area we started to turn on the air-condition, which is usually we do not turn on very often, because our guest love to set outside or open air area. When the air condition started it take time till it getting cold ,but it was to hot so the guests in your group told us to open the glass door around the bar again so that is the reason, why air condition could not getting colder.

After you had starter the rain and storm stopped, we have move all the table to around the pool and prepared the space for you again in a few minute. If you were faire and observed how hard that we have tried to do everything to make you happy in that special weather condition. I know can not make every one happy and I am always happy that still have many who really love 9Gems.

About the beer price , for Singha beer is about 10 AUD included service charge and tax, Coronat is about 17 AUD included service charge and Tax. Vodka it is depends on what kind of Vodka you select ketel one, Belvedere Vodka or Absolute the price range are different, depend on the cost of those Vodka, Belvedere 1 and Half OZ, we give to our guests is cost about 30AUD included service charge and Tax.

Normally you can order Wine it cheaper than beer if compare to the class of spirit.

I normally do not want to explain every time, when I write the comment that 9Gems has been built with the high quality materials, special design high technology of lighting and sound, same as the food products that we serve you.

I am very happy that still have many people who really love lifestyle and understand the concept of 9Gems.

Everywhere in the world, if you go to special place, it has special price. As you have experienced that you have private dinner just for you in that night, it not because no booking but we will not except the booking more than 35persons, we just would like to keep it exclusive.

My point of view for special private dinner, compare to your country or Europe, the prices at 9Gems are still lower than your country or those places in Europe, America, Brazil where I have been.

This comment is not to defense you but to make you have more understanding about our place and our concept.

Thank you again for your visit with warm regards

Sathit Muangprom