“Warm and Peaceful "love this place"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan House

You added Banyan House to your Saves list
Banyan House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   221 Moo 2 North Of Chaweng Rd, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #14 of 134 Bophut B&B and Inns
4.5 of 5 stars 32 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Warm and Peaceful "love this place"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at Banyan House for 2 weeks during waiting to find my new home in Koh Samui and "LOVE IT"
We finded this place by accident as my husband got the job opposite this place. We went to have a coffee and have a chat with the owner Michael and Tok, they are so lovely. The house is very nice, clean and peaceful. We ddidn't plan to stay there as we got the holiday rental book since we were in London. Once we went to our horrible holiday house that the agent Karalaco got it for us, we moved out the next day. Luckily that we got Michael's business card and they got only 1 room left until Christmas, so we took it and stayed 4 of us in one room. My husband, me and my 2 little kids. We have been treated very professionally, healthy breakfast, house clean every day, bedsheet change every 3 days. My kids love it, they ran around like it's their house. Michael and Tok they are so friendly and provide you everything that you ask for. We love to spend the night time talking with the owners and enjoy drink beer and watching the star every night. The location is no problem at all, just 10-15 mins to Chaweng beach, 5 mins to Choengmon beach which was we prefer, 15 mins to Maenam Beach and Fisherman Village, very handy. If you looking for the nice, quiet place to stay and far away from the noisy road in Chaweng. Let's come here, this is the best place to stay. I recommend all my friends already. And you will meet nice people stay there as well. We spent Christmas night with a couple from France, David & Barbara, Michael and Tok. We had the great night even my kids love it. The dogs don't cause any problem at all, stay outside the house but Christmas they were allow cuase it's Christmas :)
I go there almost every Sunday even just to have coffee and say Hi to them, just went there again today and still not disappointed, meet new people rent there and the owner always lovely as usual.
Michael & Tok : I read the bad review in Tripadvisor and I have to laugh as it's just so untrue and ridicilous. That's why it makes me start writing this, you know this is my first review. Now I have to start write the review and tell the truth to the world.
See you again soon,
Big hugs from Vicky and the gang

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I dont wanna call this place " Bed and Breakfast " because this nice house offered me more than that . Nice n clean room . Good locaion near the sea . Close to the airport . Nice food . Apart from that ,the owners Michael and Tok ,they are always there to help customers .

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at Banyan House for 2 weeks and loved it! looking forward to going back. The location was excellant along with the accommodation which I could not fault. Both Michael and Tuk made me feel very welcome and could not of been more helpful. The place itself is situated across from the beach and with the addition to the coffee shop you could not want for more. Everything was clean well looked after and their rates are very competitive......I for one would highly recommend this accommodation if you are staying in the area, the location is stunning. You can not fail to like this place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

HEY Michael and Tuk, I found you on Tripadvisor, what a surprise!

I was reading the reviews left by other guests and was quite disgusted to read what some" GENTLEMAN" had written.
I have been to this place many times over the past few years!

Did he actually stay at Banyan House, is it the same place!

My experience of Banyan House could not be more different.
Unlike the "GENTLEMAN" I knew exactly where Banyan was situated because I looked it up. I also knew that there were dogs on the premises, why did I know this???
BECAUSE IT SAYS SO ON THE WEBSITE!!!!!!
The dogs are no problem, they are old but very loveable.

The service is just fab and I am sure that if I required anything different for breakfast then Michael would do his best to accommodate me.

The house and bedrooms including bathrooms are exceptionally clean.
An excellant balance of English and Thai.

The garden coffee house and free Wi Fi are just cherries on top of the cake.
The cakes and fab food are freshly cooked on the premises by Michael, who by the way, is a qualified chef.

For 18 pounds sterling for 2 people B&B for one night? I would challange anyone to find better value in Chewang.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Lamai Beach, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I found Banyan House very good value for money with all the personal touches of home from home B&B, a room that we could not fault, in a very good location for the only a short distance to Chaweng and Fisherman's village. But in a very quiet location with a very beautiful garden, with trees that make it very special, not found on many Koh Samui gardens.With are garden restaurant / coffee shop to meet friends in with a excellent menu to choose from and good quality coffee. I would recommend Banyan house as a great place to stay and coffee garden restaurant a must visit for Koh Samui visitors! :) Roger

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We went to their coffee house today ! What a lovely gem . The coffee house is set in their garden . The owner Michael was ever so pleasant and made us the best banyan treat sandwiches ever . Food was great and so are the prices . We are currently staying at the maryoo hotel so this coffee house is just great for breakfast or lunch ( as we are located right next door to them ) . Had I known about this bed and breakfast , I would have booked here instead cos it's apparently only 900 baht for bb.
Stop by this little place for a light snack ! You sure will enjoy it !

• Stayed July 2012
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

It was too bad that I booked a room to stay there from March 16 to 21, 2012. This was my first time to Koh Samui, Thailand. I was attracted by the sunshine and the beach of this small island. However, if you are about to choose your place to stay to enjoy your holidays, please think thoroughly if you would choose Banyan House B&B, or please give the chance to others to receive the well-known Thai-oriented care and hospitality.

I was totally dissatisfied in many aspects. First, the Banyan House B&B's location was not good and was not convenient. On arrival at the airport on 16 March 2012, I paid 400Baht to reach it by taxi. I was surprised to find that it was located far away from the Chaweng centre where tourists might sightsee, might dine, might swim and sunbathe in the beach with white sand. Then, I checked-in and was welcomed by a few dogs. I was surprised to find dogs in this House, whose owner was an English, because the House's website advertised clearly that "no pets" were allowed as its policy. This FAILED my expectation. I do not like to see barking dogs in my living environment, which make me uneasy.

I paid the room charges by credit card. I signed a bank slip and returned it to the House, but was asked by the owner to keep it myself. I was shocked about this. Later, the owner asked me to return it back to him, which showed his NOT being professional in doing this.

Next, I went by motor bike taxi to the Chaweng centre to find that many more choices of accommodation were available to tourists, and that the room rates were cheaper and more competitive than those of Banyan House B&B. 900Baht was over-charged at Banyan House already. I took motor bike taxi again when I returned in the evening.

I did not drive by renting a motor bike because the road traffic was dangerous, especially at night time.

On 17 March 2012, I joined a boat trip to outlying islands. I had taken only simple and very little breakfast (drinking water, bread and some fruits, without ham and eggs) before I went out. I did not think that breakfast of this kind was reasonable by paying 900Baht a night.

The owner informed that breakfast time was from 8:30 to 9:00 am in the morning, which was too short and restricted for guests. How could I finish this within 30 minutes? In addition, the owner was rude (without smile) to serve. His manner was significantly different from that of a typical hotel or resort service staff. The atmosphere of staying there was NOT free.

On 18, 19 and 20 March 2012, besides the stingy breakfast provided in the morning, I needed to take motor bike taxi between the House and the Chaweng centre, which incurred extra transportation costs.

NO attractive amenities except the common Wi-Fi service were provided to me as guest.

Furthermore, there was a very rocky beach just across the road (need to pass through the Kamar resort with permission, the Kamar resort was situated opposite to the House), where swimming was UNSAFE and was VERY DANGEROUS. I could not find any swimmers there on 18, 19 and 20 March 2012. This was very true!

I did not feel that I was on holidays in staying at Banyan House B&B, which was clearly a BAD choice. I would not have chosen to stay there if I had come to Koh Samui before. This is very true!

On 21 March 2012, when I checked-out, I did comment to the owner that his House's location was inconvenient and that swimming could not be possible in a rocky beach with coarse sand. No lifeguard was present.

In particular, I found one business card inside my room during my stay. It was attached to the wall mirror, which advertised about women’s beauty. I was NOT interested at all. I knew the owner was trying to promote his business, even inside my room, which was terrible and made my holidays even more uncomfortable! The prices of the items ‘on sale’ inside my room, such as potato chips, coke cans and drinking water, were unreasonably high compared with those sold in the market elsewhere! I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR SURE!

Overall, I would rather choose a hotel or a resort that is more Thai-oriented and hospitable than a B&B of this kind. This was my bad staying experience.

Only after SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT(S) was/were made would I suggest it to other travelers. Stay elsewhere so as to get back your holidays!

Room Tip: Need to research the location of the hotel or resort. A 10-min drive can take you a very long distan...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Michael F, Owner at Banyan House, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfield with your stay at Banyan House bed and Breakfast from 16/3/2012 to 21/3/2012 as we aim to focus on hospitality and offer a commitment to provide a service.
We have now been in business running Banyan House bed and breakfast for over a year which up until now we have not had any complaints regarding the issues you have mentioned.We are online with many accommodation channels and you can see clearly on all online channels our score is very high. you mentioned that that the location was not good but we clearly state on our web site that the Banyan house bed and breakfast is 10 min drive from samui international airport ,Chaweng beach popular spots are approximately 15 min drive away and we are away from the hustle and bustle of chaweng beach is something our customers want.
You also mentioned that you had to pay 400 baht for the taxi to Banyan House from the airport,this is unfortunately out of our hands as this is the price set by the local taxi company and based on the distance you travel the same as your country.
I would like to point out that on the day of the 16/3/2012 you checked in before your check in time of 14.00hrs which is showing on your booking voucher and so you could have access to your room we rapidly cleaned and prepared your room so you could check in to make you more comfortable after your journey.
Yes we do have have basset hounds dogs that are over 12 years old and are kept in kennels in a compound next to the house,we feel that they are not aggressive and do not cause any disturbance and never come directly into the house,you also commented that we stated no pets are allowed this means that we request guests do not bring their pets at the Banyan House bed and breakfast.
We advise all our guests that the best way of getting around the island is by using the local bus (tuk tuk) like most tourists but you chose to use a motorbike taxi which is more expensive way of getting around the island which of course is your choice as to the method of transport which suits you.
We asked you if you would like to rent a motocycle from the rental shop which you agreed to rent for five days but unfortunately you were unable to balance yourself so we asked the rental company to follow you and bring back the motorcycle as we were worried you might have a serous accident and injured yourself or others which is why we returned your money but we feel your attitude and behavior was bad.
Yes there is a lot of accommodation on koh samui with different rates obviously depends on the star rating and quality of the accommodation.
As far as your comments on the breakfast box this varies depending on the stock and the time that you informed us that you would require a breakfast box we were under no obligation to provide this but as gesture of goodwill and to provide a good service to our guests like your self we tried to meet your request which we belive to be a good customer service.Also the staff on your boat trip provide a breakfast on board as the trip start early so our guests rarely request this.The breakfast time we surveyed with our guests and all guests are happy with these time of service but we are flexible and not fixed.
in our room rate we serve a set continental breakfast glass of fresh juice,fresh fruit salad served with yogurt or fresh fruit.selection of bakery and a continuous free flow of fresh brewed coffee or tea.
i would like to point out that on the mornings you were up early to go on your boat trips,you rang the door bell several times which is located at the entrance to the guest house at 6am when you required our attention which disturbed our guests after we informed you that if you required any anything there would be a bell in the lobby as either my business partner would be available from 5.30am.
You mentioned the rocky beach across the road from Banyan house.This is natural unspoilt beach which anyone can visit.There is low and high tide depending on the season which depends on your swimming.if you wanted to use the beach its up to each individual guest if they use it or not.And the nearest entrance is walking through the karma beach resort which all our guests have access too.there is also a public stairway which leads down to the beach which is located about 0.5km to the right across the road from Banyan House.
With regards to your comments about the business card in your room it is our other business beauty salon and slimming center which you are under no obligation to use but on this occasion this was left by another guest who had been to visit our shop but we do feel that if we want to advertise in our own guest house the it is decision made by the owners and management.
Finally the mini bar is service we provide to each guest to use if they wish,we realise the price are slightly higher than a minimart which is usually the case in most hotels.

We would like to offer our sincere apologies for any misunderstanding and thank you fro taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Regards

Michael Fox

Been to Banyan House? Share your experiences!