“Living in a building site!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Art Hotel

You added Art Hotel to your Saves list
Art Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   155/36 Moo 2, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand (Formerly Z Hotel)   |
Ranked #70 of 136 Bophut B&B and Inns
“Living in a building site!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have read through a lot of previous reviews and I have to agree the rooms themselves arnt the worst. It's just the NOISE, I can not describe how bad it is. They must be doing serious renovations or repairs because the last four days from 8.30 in the morning until late into the evening all you can hear is power tools drilling cutting everything. At one stage I tought they were gonna come through our ceiling! I understand hotels need to do some renovation but it shouldn't be at the expense of the guests stay!
Their was a list as long as my arm with faulty things in the room aswell. It rained really heavily one nite and the window leaked really badlyh and was starting to flood the floor we used the hotels towels to mop it up, when we asked for more towels we were told no we could only have one. THE SHOWER, death trap, when you turn the tap open a little too much the shower hose flys off sending all this rushing water up the wall into the base of the electric shower! They also have signs saying we apologies for the leaky roof, maybe this is all the maintenance I'm hearing, but I don't understand how their fixing it by drilling right where my head is at 8:30 on Sunday morning!! Joke of a place. Maybe a year or two down the line could be ok, but unless you have a hard hat don't stay here anytime soon!

• Stayed December 2012
TomDarwin, Owner at Art Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I have to admit that just about everything you say is a fair assessment of the state of the 2nd floor rooms at our hotel last month.

We planned to build 14 new rooms on the top floor during the low season in time for Christmas. Unfortunately the first builders we used did a very bad job and left us with a leaking roof which was causing water damage in the rooms below whenever it rained. We sacked these builders and bought in a new team.

The problem was that by now we were running behind schedule and we already had bookings for the floor below. We wanted to carry out the work during the afternoon to avoid disruption. The problem was that there was unusually heavy rain in Samui this December so we had to work around the clock to fix the roof before the hotel was flooded!

This was a really terrible situation for some of our customers and we refunded and found alternative accommodation for everyone who requested it.

I am so sorry for the disappointing stay at Z Hotel. I would like to let all future customers know that the work has now been finished and the new rooms will be open soon. There will be no more noise disturbance from building work in the hotel now.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here while travelling around Thailand. We loved it, it was really cheap and great quality unlike some of the dumps we've stayed in in Thailand for the same price and more! The room was really clean and the bed was comfy and the bathroom was really nice too, seems like it's just been renovated. It's a five min walk from the beach but probably takes about twenty minutes to the bars which was fine. We were only going to stay one night but ended up staying four. Only bad point I have is to do with the launderette outside the hotel. I'm not sure if its actually the hotels laundrette but it stole a designer t shirt from my boyfriend who went back for it and wa told she had it in her house! But all in all it's the best place we've stayed in Thailand for the best price so definitely stay there! There were no bed bugs or anything like that, the cleaners are quite loud early in the morning though.

• Stayed December 2012
TomDarwin, Owner at Art Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thanks for your nice review! We try to be the best value in Chaweng so its nice to hear we are getting it right!

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with the Laundry. They are not part of our hotel but most of our guests use their services, and there has never been an issue before. I will certainly investigate what happened.

Glad you likes the renovations. We are constantly upgrading and hope to have the place perfect soon!

See you next time!
El Paso, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had 3 nights here before we went to Koh Phangan. We were a bit worried as there were some bad reviews. However we had a great time here. the place is like a guesthouse rather than a hotel but it was clean and the rooms had good facilities. However what really made this place was the staff! They helped us out with everything! Thanks Nut and Paew! They even recommended a beach for us to go to when we got bored of Chaweng!

Room Tip: Triple rooms have a double bed and a single bed enough room for 3 girls traveling together. Worked...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
TomDarwin, Owner at Art Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Hi Lois,
Thanks for your nice review.
I hope you had a great time in Koh Phangan.

See you next time!
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

First of all I would like to point out that despite the problems we have with the hotel the staff have done their best to ensure we are happy.

We were supposed to stay at the Z hotel for 4 nights but have been moved next door for the remaining two.

When we walked to our room on the second floor the dampness of the hallway hits you almost immediately, the pipes are dripping the floor is damp, there are drip marks on the wall and it feels warm and damp.
When we went into the room it was ok poor wifi though, our TV didnt work but as soon as i mentioned it to the staff they immediately came and looked at it and said tomorrow we would get a different room. We settled on that and went to bed. At 7 in the morning we were woken up by the construction site opposite with what sounded like fire crackers then after 10 minutes a big bang. I looked out of the window and they were all laughing so we guessed they were messing around but at 7 in the morning? i dont think so!

A few minutes later my ankle was itching and there was 4 new bites i had awoken with, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought we would see what it was like in the new room, we didnt get a new room!

We spent another night in 305 and were awoken at 3am by the hammering of rain. It was so loud that we thought it was inside... it was, in the leaking hallway and was making its way into our room, we moved our stuff off the floor and tried to get back to sleep but couldnt as there were people outside our room mopping up but didnt seem to care if anyone was sleeping, doors slamming, keys jangling. It was driving us insane!

I woke up to another 3 bites on my ankle and had enough, went to reception and said as follows, The TV doesnt work, the wifi doesnt work, there is a construction sitr opposite, the hallway has leaked and our floor is wet, plus I have been bitten several times. The 2 gentlemen said at 12pm we will move you to a different and better room and we are sorry. 10 minutes later we had a knock on the door, with the receptionist and a pest control worker (how efficient) with a new key for a room in the neighbouring hotel BB hotel.

So as much as our 2 nights at the Z Hotel were terrible you can tell that these guys are trying really hard to get this hotel back on track. Which is why we havent put this review as terrible or poor.

It might just be our luck.

• Stayed November 2012
TomZHotel, Owner at Art Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Hi,

I am so sorry for your disappointing stay with us. It looks like you bore the brunt of several problems we have had at the hotel which we are now working hard to fix. Thanks for managing to write such a balanced and fair review despite the serious problems.

The firecrackers and banging from opposite were actually part of a Buddhist ceremony to give good luck to the new hotel that just built! Unfortunately they do this at dawn! Anyway the construction behind us has now finished so thats great news for everyone.

The problem with the biting insects has now been dealt with. After you checked out we closed the entire floor and called in pest control who have fixed the problem.

All I can say is I am extremely sorry for all the problems. I am glad though that the staff were so helpful and did their best to make you happy. We do unfortunately get problems from time to time, but we always do our best to make things right. We really care about our customers and we are very sorry when we let you down.
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The room I stayed in was newly refurbished and was great value. The hotel is very near the beach and has a nice little coffee shop downstairs. There was no lift but not too many stairs.

Was ideal for me and my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
TomZHotel, Owner at Art Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thanks for your review. We have been working very hard to get the hotel back on track and it seems to have worked.

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you next time.
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I unfortunately had the pleasure of staying in the horrible abode!! If i had more time & did smy homework i would of never stayed here.
First for the price they charge it is deff not worth it I payed 590thb
They show the nice pic of the bed & the entrance of the bathroom but not actually behind the shower curtain. Which looks like one of those out door showers that u hose your self off at the beach, but with this u getted the added bonus of u have to watch where u step as u feel like u might trip over & smash your head open. Oh and not to mention the HORRIBLE smell coming from the drain. Which never got any sand into it as i didnt go to the beach at all ( after reading another review this was their excuse on trip advisor)
Now lets get to the bed bugs & other un named bugs as I just dont know what the hell they were.
I woke up after my first nigt stay with bite all on my shoulders & legs & i know of other people staying on a different level that were getting bitten. So the problem is all over this hotel!!
I went to complain & staye one more night & the remaining night $$ back .
After all this u have to deal with the construction work going on on both sides of this hotel, thai boxing bloody van that circles around the blocks EVERY night!! Then a bar down stairs music playing music into the early hours of the morning, horrible staff, BEG BUGS
I think its pretty clear as to what type of place this is!!!
Your running a hotel wash ur sheets daily like every other bloody hotel does its just common sense!! when u have so many people coming through.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

Room Tip: do not stay here unless u like getting bitten by bedbugs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TomZHotel, Owner at Art Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I would like to apologise to you for the insect problem in your room. It is absolutely unacceptable and we take it extremely seriously. We had 2 reports of biting insects and have now decided to take drastic measures to make sure this problem is completely contained and controlled once and for all.

We have consulted with a pest control team and been advised to shut down half the hotel and treat it for all insects. When given the all clear by the experts we will reopen and then shut down the other half of the hotel and do the same. We take this very very seriously and are doing everything exactly as suggested.

At Z Hotel we have a high standard of hygiene. We have a daily maid service and linen is always changed between customers. Unfortunately sometimes insects and other pests come in from outside. It is the same with every hotel. However we have now dealt with this problem and will not open rooms until they perfect again.

We decided to re tile all the bathrooms a few months back but still we have 2 or 3 rooms with the old concrete style flooring. We are addressing this and will have tiled floors in every bathroom shortly.

Once again I would like to offer my sincere apologies and reassure any future guests that we have dealt with this problem now.
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

i stayed at z hotel just over a week, i met some really nice people whilst staying there which was great as i am traveling alone... you get tele, fridge, air con, bathroom at a very good price.

its only a short walk to the beach and local shops/ restaurants.

the staff are laid back but are more than willing to help out if you ask.

it has everything you would need for a budget traveler, i would recommend you staying here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Art Hotel? Share your experiences!