We stayed in Mantra for 8 days in January and were very impressed with this fantastic resort. Without a doubt you will not find a resort with better views in all of Koh Samui. Like any hotel there are pros and cons but in Mantra I think the pros definatly outweigh the cons.
Breakfast was lovely. Each day they provide a different juice which was everything from beetroot to carrot which was interesting shall we say!
Coffee not the best, and the tea is made from actual tea leaves which was a nice change from plain tea bags. Mantra staff could do with letting it get a bit stronger though before pouring as sometimes it didn't taste very much like tea!
Otherwise they had everything you could want for breakfast. The breads and pastries change daily and were lovely! Views from the restaurant were incredible!
We only ate at Mantra restaurent once at night time and it was very good, but it lacked atmosphere and is a bit quiet for people looking for a bit of craic
The pool was lovely ( absolutly massive too ) and the gym is better equiped than some gyms in Ireland! Sometimes it was quite busy and there wasn't enough beds to go around so during peak seasons be sure to get up early if you need a bed by the pool. Also the hotel does not have any beds or a location on the beach so you will have to find a cafe/bar with sunloungers or bring a towel and lie on the sand!
Theres a great place at Fishermans Village called the Freedom Way Bar. They don't open until about 1pm or 2pm, but most days we were there at 12 and just stayed out in their deck chairs and they didn't mind at all. They also do great food and cocktails ( be there for sunset and happy hour, the views and music are great! ) Also there is a group of masseuses beside them that do oil and thai massages for 300 baht.
Now one CRUCIAL point. You will HAVE to get taxis everywhere or else hire a motorbike or jeep/car from the hotel or a garage in Koh Samui. Nothing could have prepared us for the steep ascent to Mantra, it was like going up Mt everest!! Its right up the mountain and not near a beach at all.
However the hotel does provides free shuttles to Fishermans Village and Chaweng Beach. If you are going out for dinner however the timing of the shuttles aren't brilliant because they go roughly around 5pm and then again around 8pm which is either to early ( unless you go shopping first ) or too late. If there was one around 6.30 - 7pm it would be a much better time for people that want to spend more time at the pool or beach.
The hotel can of course bring you at a cost of 300 baht to Fishermans Village or 500 baht to Chaweng beach. Motorbike rental is 300 baht a day, car is 1000 baht and jeep is 1500 baht a day, which is very good value! However neogatiating Thai traffic is for the experienced driver only and for someone who is NOT faint hearted!!!
I would like to mention to people thinking of coming to this resort with young children that it can be quite dangerous for young kids because the walkways beside the bungalows have a large gap between them and the wall. Also for people that are not very mobile, Mantra could be quite tricky as the hills are very steep and there are steps and stairs everywhere.
The rooms are very comfortable. The beds are unbelievably comfortable. They have a combined tv and computer. Internet is very good and theres an excellent choice of movies.
To conclude we had an amazing time at Mantra. If you decide to stay here be prepared to spend on transport whether you get taxis or rent. The staff are brilliant, always smiling and happy to help you with anything. Especially at night when you come back they are always ready and waiting to whisk you up to your room in their golf buggies!! Beware of the hills espcially when you are on the back!!!
Thank you Mantra, we had a great time and have many pleasant memories of your wonderful hotel and resort!!! :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mantra Samui Boutique Resort***** is located 10 minutes from Bophut Beach with our complimentary shuttle service (provided multiple times a day)or with a scooter or a car. Enjoy our amazing range of Facilities that include: Squash Courts, Himalayan Salt Yoga Studio, Steam Room and Sauna, Fully Equipped Fitness Center, Two Restaurants, Swim Up Bar, a Cinema, a Kids Club and a Game Room. An amazing Sea View can be enjoyed from all of the WOW, LOVE, COZY and GRAND rooms.Most importantly The Five Star Mantra has the friendliest and most professional staff on the island ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Mantra Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Samui Hotel Bophut
- Mantra Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut