We stayed at the Hansar between 12-20 September 2013. The hotel is relatively small which we like with around 70 rooms set directly in front of a coarse sandy beach. It has a perfect location right next to the Fishermans village which has plenty of restos and bars and the fabulous Walking Market every Friday which is not to be missed.
The rooms are split into three categories: standard, XL and beachfront XL which have views directly onto the beach. We stayed in a standard and it was a nice sized room with a lovely balcony with a view of the gorgeous infinity pool and sea across to Koh Phangan. We had a peek in an XL room and these looked lovely, a bit roomier with a larger balcony. The balconies all have a day bed and at least one rocking chair (depending on category) and a ceiling fan which really did come in useful. There is also atmospheric lighting on all the balconies if you want to switch it on which gives a lovely feel sitting out in the evenings.
The hotel does not have a lift but has only two floors above ground floor level so really not a lot of steps - we were on the top floor and I would say this gives you the best views.
As previous reviews pointed out, the shower set up is quite open which really wasn't a problem for us but might be somethng you want to take into account if travelling as a family - the toilet is separate though. A nice modern room that could perhaps do with a bit more storage space but in all fairness we packed way, way more than we needed and it would have been fine if we had packed for a week instead of a month!! The bathroom area is spacious and modern and has good quality toilettries so you can leave yours at home (conditioner is also provided which not all hotels do but not body lotion). Insect repellent and a mosquito plug is also provided but I would suggest also bringing one that contains DEET.
As many people have also pointed out, the light switches are pretty confusing and it can take a few goes before you find the light you are looking for but all part of the fun.
The minibar in the room is fairly priced for a hotel and more importantly there is room enough in there to keep your own stash of Singhas cold! Free water is also provided in your room every day and the evening turn down keeps you supplied with a daily rose and a couple of chocolates which is a nice touch.
The hotel has a decent gym with two running machines, a recumbant bike, cross trainer and concept rowing machine plus some weights and a nautilus system. It was well air conditioned and fairly quiet whilst we were there so we never really had to wait for anything
POOL AND POOL BAR
The infinity pool is absolutely lovely. Plenty of sunbeds around the pool and on the beach and beach towels are provided in your room but are also available from the pool bar without charge. Free bottled water is also available from the bar and the pool guys. The bar is a nice place to chill though the happy hour soundtrack took a couple of days to leave our heads!! In fact, writing this has just made it pop back in!! :o). Three happy hours a day at 1:30, 6:30 and 9:30 and the cocktails really are fairly priced for a hotel plus they are mighty fine cocktails! The mojitos (especially the ginger mojitos) really are fantastic. Dom and the whole pool and bar team really make sure you are looked after and are a really friendly, helpful bunch of people.
We didn't spend too much time on the beach but a quick walk in the opposite direction to the Fisherman's Village confirmed to us that we had made a good choice with the Hansar - definitely the best location. The sand is quite coarse so don't have a pedicure at the start of the holiday - your feet will be too soft to bare the sand! Absolutely fine with beach shoes though. There are massage places up and down the beach, together with some bars and restos and plenty of vendors grilling street food on the beach.
We had booked on a room and breakfast basis. The breakfast buffet was fabulous. Coffees of your choice are made to order as are any time of eggs you like, plus waffles and pancakes. The buffet itself covers everything from all kinds of fruit, salad, daily hot dishes which always include a Thai dish. Various bread, pastries, cheeses, cold cuts, smoked salmon. Really everything you could want - we looked forward to it every day and I am not even a breakfast person!
As we wanted to get out and explore the local restaurants, we only had one meal in the hotel but what a meal that was. We spoke to Sam who organised a dinner on the beach for us. We had the Thai menu and it was just fantastic. Five courses together with an amuse bouch from the chef, a sorbet and pralines. At the end of the dinner they had even organised for us to light and let off one of the big lucky lanterns which was a lovely touch. They even provide you with an insect repellent spray. The evening was one of the highlights of the holiday.
The staff really are a credit to the hotel. They are a friendly, happy team and we were really looked after. Sam and the rest of the reception team were fabulous - really, really helpful. Dom and everybody in the pool, bar area made sure we always had water and made sure we didn't forget happy hour. As is always the case, having the right staff makes a huge difference to a hotel - just a shame we didn't see the manager about the place to let him know what a great team he has.
There was some noise from the hotel next door which is being renovated but we got the impression they were making a bit of final mad rush to get everything done so I imagine this will soon be finished and it wasn't really big industrial clanking or anything - certainly not enough to spoil a holiday. We found getting sunbeds by the pool bar instead of the other end helped. Overall a lovely stay in a really nice hotel made even more special by all the wonderful people who work there - would definitely come back.
- Also Known As:
- Hansar Samui Hotel
- Hansar Samui Hotel Bophut
- Hansar Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated just 10 minutes from the Island's International airport, Bophut Beach's newest 5 Star Resort features 74 luxuriously appointed rooms with unobstructed ocean views, free wireless internet access and oversize balconies. A leisurely stroll down the quaint cobblestone 'walking street' adjacent to the resort, is the vibrant Fisherman's Village, with its antique wooden shop fronts, chic cafes and atmospheric seaside bars. The name Hansar is taken from the ancient Sanskrit language and translates to mean happiness and joy. The concept and philosophy of Hansar Samui is to deliver an experience to each guest that is happy, memorable and enjoyable. Hansar Samui is about living life in full colour and finding joy in every moment. Hansar Samui offers luxurious, beachfront, spacious accommodation with unobstructed sea views from every room, and supersize private balconies and oversize daybeds for outdoor living and entertaining. Open plan yet intimate, each room has been artfully finished with teak floors, terrazzo bathrooms and local textiles to provide a sense of place. Chic custom furnishings, large flat screen TVs balance the design's natural touches with a modern flair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Jetsetter so you can book your Hansar Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.