“Looking at the other reviews obviously a bit hit and miss” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Canberra, Australia
“Looking at the other reviews obviously a bit hit and miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Luckily for us it was a hit. We sat on the deck with a fabulous view of the coastline and the sea, we also spent an enormously entertaining (hour?) people watching as we had a good view of the pier itself and the continually changing cavalcade of holidaymakers. Very romantic setting for the two of us. There was no discernible smell from the beach other than the salty tang of sea air, we were treated to the sight of one of the many stray dogs sitting there doing what male dogs do ("... Because they can.") but the service was fine, the prices a bit higher than other places and the food was delightful. My partner had the ubiquitous 'pineapple fried rice' with chicken and prawns but it had some additional ingredients which provided surprising and pleasing flavours. I had a 'red curry salmon' something I hadn't seen or tried before and I was interested to see how it would be prepared. It was delicious. A shallow plate with two seasoned perfectly fried salmon fillets served in one of the creamiest, tastiest red curry sauces I have ever had. One of the most interesting, surprising, satisfying dishes I have had in Thailand, ever.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
Glasgow, Scotland
“Nice bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

It was a wet and stormy midweek night when we popped into the Pier for a drink. With the weather being so poor we were the only people in this cavernous bar which lead to a real lack of atmosphere. No doubt when this place is full up its probably going to lively.

We ordered a couple of cocktails and the barman mixed them up fresh to order with fresh fruits which was nice. We sat downstairs across from the bar to make sure we were served and there is a great view outside directly into the sea and the bay.

Since we were the only ones here and the bar is so large we had one drink, paid up and left. A little bit of a shame as there was nothing wrong with the bar itself or the service.

• Visited September 2013
Kilcullen, Ireland
“It's not worth the view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just back from dinner at The Pier restaurant. Not a very good experience. They 'forgot' about our appetiser and served my main course (not my girlfriend's though). The appetiser arrived when I was halfway through my dish and eventually my girlfriend's dish came out. Bland forgettable food. The drinks were not much better and the price was expensive. There are plenty of restaurants along Fisherman's Village with a sea view. I'm sure there are plenty offering better food and service than this.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire
“Don't be ripped off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Read reviews of this place in local guide books so as we'd seen it on previous visits to Samui,we decided we should give it a go.
Reviews had said the views from upstairs were great so we were surprised on arrival to be told "upstairs closed". We sat at the only table available were the "view" was obstructed by a large, but quite pretty, bush. When you want to see the view, it's best that its not hidden.
We waited patiently for the only member of staff around to lay all the tables with flowers and napkins and he eventually asked what we would like. I ordered a White Lady cocktail and hubby ordered a Margarita. Each cost 290 baht so around £7. Not that big a deal but expensive for iced lime water.
Quite some time later 2 martini glasses full of ice and liquid arrived. Fine until first taste. Mine should have had Cointreau and gin and lime but all I could tast was watery lime juice. Trying not to be picky I thought maybe the Cointreau had settled (?!). I tried a few more slurps but thought I should have been able to taste something. Hubbies drink had a slight taste of something whiskey based but was very slight. When I asked said bartender, he said I couldn't taste anything because of the ice! On pressing he said he'd make me another but by then I felt this was only because we'd caught him out. I wanted to leave so he said don't pay for that one. When we offered to pay for hubbies watered down margarita, he shooed us away and said don't pay, so we left only to be chased down the street a few minutes later and told to pay or "he'd starve"! Not pleasant.
Samui has soo many much nicer places to drink don't bother with this place until they buck their ideas up on how to make cocktails that actually have something you want to drink in them.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“If you like the smell of sewage...this is the place for you”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stopped in here as it looked like an ok place for dinner...ended up just having a cocktail as we couldn't get over the smell coming from below the restaurant...it stank! Decided to not eat here.

• Visited March 2013