“a must see destination and a wonderful inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orchid Tree

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Atenas
Orchid Tree
Calle Oratorio, Atenas 20501, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Atenas B&B and Inns
Sonoma, California
“a must see destination and a wonderful inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

My husband and I visited Atenas because our son is attending school there. The inn is beautiful-so homey. Our bedroom was decorated in beautiful taste but most of all, Rita and Frank took great care of us. They arranged a trip to La Paz park and recommended perfect dinner spots. We loved hanging out in their open air living room with them. I have not stayed at an inn with such attentive owners. Atenas is a lovely town about 30 minutes from the airport. Don't stay in San Jose, stay here. The climate is perfect and the flowers are gorgeous. It is the perfect location to explore Costa Rica. Great breakfasts and superb cleanliness.

Room Tip: It seems as if all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed at the Orchid Tree last February on my first trip to Costa Rica and I can confirm what all the other reviews say about the lovely owners and the property. With four guest rooms I thought this would be a perfect place to hold part of a yoga retreat at the Orchid Tree. In the end a group of 7 ladies stayed 4 nights at the Orchid Tree and 3 nights at a resort in Samara in September.

Rita and Frank were more than accomodating to our group, we had sunrise and afternoon sessions by the pool, a truly relaxing setting very condusive to yoga and meditation. The wonderful breakfasts Rita prepared with all sorts of fresh fruit started our mornings on the right foot too!
We visit Poas volcanoe and enjoyed touring the sites around the central valley, all within easy access of the Orchid Tree.

Overall a great place for individuals and groups. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Glasgow, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I visited Costa Rica in late August and wanted to stay in a relaxing place while passing through Atenas. The Orchid Tree caught my attention on the web and so I decided to find it. I am very glad that I did. Me, my daughter, her husband my step grand daughter stayed in two rooms. Frank and Rita were excellent hosts. We really enjoyed sitting out back on the covered patio while trying to solve some of Frank's puzzles. My room was very comfortable and the hot shower helped me to relax before turning in. In the morning, our breakfast truely was delicious and filling! I would love to return and stay again, hopfully to visit Volcan Poas.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at Frank and Rita's lovely inn on our way from Arenal to Manuel Antonio.
We had a little trouble finding it, but once we did we were very impressed with how beautiful the property was. Also very secure - automatic gate at the front.
Four quaint rooms with nice bathrooms line a lovely covered hallway, with a wall open to the well-landscaped lawns. All kinds of trees and flowering plants. The outdoor kitchen/eating area/living room is lovely and the pool is beautiful with a covered seating area and hand-painted tiles, and little lights at night.
Frank and Rita were excellent hosts - so friendly and helpful! We learned a lot from talking to them about what it is like to be an ex-pat in Costa Rica. Also, Rita's breakfast was terrific! Eggs and bacon (finally an American-style breakfast!) and toast with different fruit jellies. And great coffee!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Orchid Tree Bed and Breakfast was a charming place to stay for our first 2 nights in Costa Rica. It is located only 20 minutes from SJO airport, yet nestled in a rural town only 2 miles from Aetenas. The grounds are tropical and the setting is perfect for getting away to read your favorite novel or just relax. If you are a writer, the setting here will help bring about ideas for writing an interesting tale. Our hosts Rita and Frank were most helpful in every way and gave us excellent recommendations as to what to see and where to eat. They are wonderful hosts. The rooms were comfortable and we slept well. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. Make sure to visit La Paz Waterfall. It is a fantastic place and a must see! Make sure to eat at La Trocha restaurant. It is affordable and the chef is passionate about every dish. Driving in Costa Rica can be tricky. Be careful and use GPS. It is too easy to get lost in Costa Rica. Sometimes GPS will take you through the shortest route, which may not always be the best route or safest, so consult with who you are staying with for the best directions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
escazu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I was making multiple trips to Costa Rica for business, and I was tired of the big hotels. I am very glad I picked this B&B. The hosts are great, and the environment is very nice. I would recommend it for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Oak Hill, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

The owners, Rita and Frank, originally from Canada, are the best thing about this B&B. They welcomed us at the airport and then invited us to dinner with them at a local outdoor restaurant. This is exactly what we wanted to do..... see the real Costa Rica and talk with people that had lived here for awhile.

Rita is full of information and Frank, though I don't think he knows this, is really funny! We enjoyed talking with them each evening when we came back from touring. There was one other couple also there and they were fun to talk with, too.

The grounds are meticulously cared for, and being outdoors except for when sleeping, is such a pleasure. They have a bar set up.... pay as you go; a swimming pool; and outdoor eating/playing area.

The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The only minus, and it is a small one, is that the shower had very little pressure or hot water. I found the low pressure to be true in other areas of CR, even in the 5 star resorts.

Rita and Frank arranged private drivers for us throughout our stay and, if you can afford it, that is the way to go. We usually find driving in foreign countries not worth the hassle.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Orchid Tree? Share your experiences!