“A great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've just returned from 2 weeks at the Romantica. Reading some of the less generous reviews below I feel those people stayed at a different hotel. Romantica is a fairly typical Greek holiday hotel. It was clean, airy and comfortable. I'd asked for a specific type of room (high up) and was provided with a very quiet room in Block 2 facing towards the beach (you can see the sea but there is another hotel in the way). I felt the room was good and perfect for my holiday requirements (washing and sleeping). I didn't purchase air con as I feel you rarely need it plus I find the noise of it keeps me awake more than the heat. The room was cool. You need to know what you're doing with the doors to help with this though (sitting room one open, bedroom one closed in my opinion)

What makes the difference is the staff? Voula, the owner, really wants you to enjoy your stay and does her best to ensure that you do. Need a taxi to pick you up in a distant town at a certain time? It'll be arranged. Need collecting from the airport? Again all arranged. The service doesn't stop with Voula though. One of her staff, recognising that his Greek and my English were never going to solve my particular problem (wanting a taxi to collect me that evening from Chania), he called Voula for me and then lent me his mobile phone.

I read somewhere below about the shower not attaching to the wall. Ours did but it wasn't attached when we arrived and I needed to think why it had a hole on the back of it and why there was a little metal hook attached to the wall.

I'm hoping to go back to Romantica next year and even if I don't make it next year, the next time I'm in Georgioupolis, I'll be staying at the Romantica.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I sometimes believe that you get what you pay for. We paid £209 through hotel.com for a week in a studio apartment. On arrival we were informed we had been upgraded to an apartment. Maybe we would have had a better room if we hadn't been? Or if we had paid more for our room? We will never know!

Our apartment was on the ground floor of block 2. The kitchen/living room space had a wardrobe in it and some rather harsh lighting. There was access to the balcony but this was only really good for drying ones clothes on as it was small and faced the back wall of the pool. It looked onto two other windows next door and was flanked on one side with the small road next to the apartment. Consequently we didn't sit on the balcony. In the bedroom the window looked out onto the road and so we could never open the curtain. The apartment made one feel rather hemmed in and an apartment or studio on an upper floor would have been much more preferable so you could at least have some light in the apartment and watch the world go by.

The bed was not that comfortable and some days I woke up with backache. The bathroom was basic and there was very little (if any) hot water in the mornings (I know this is Greece and there is solar heating for water but we were told there should have been hot water). The shower did not attach to the wall so you had to hold it in your hands. I don't have a problem with this but my partner did (also no shower curtain).

On arrival a couple of the towels were unclean. They had been to the laundry but had dried blood stains on them and had not been checked. We did report this and new towels were provided straight away. There was no little bar of soap or any toiletries provided so bring your own soap!

The apartment was attended to every day apart from a couple of days in the week (one was a religious festival and the other a Sunday). Towels and linen only changed once a week. It would have been good to have had our towels changed once during the week.

The electricity was a bit dodgy. I blew all the power in the apartment one morning when unplugging the baby belling which I was boiling water on (don't expect a kettle). The (very old) TV when plugged in created crackling noises and did not sound safe. The remote control for the TV looked past it and was sellotaped together.

The air conditioning (which you pay 6 euros a day for) was great and we did not need to use it much or for very long. The apartment did stay pretty cool despite the August temperatures.

There was a fridge which was great to have for keeping drinks cool. However the utensils were sparse to say the least so making a meal (if you had really wanted to) would be tricky. There were no sharp knives - not even little ones for cutting a piece of fruit but when I asked for a sharp knife I was provided with two!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome and did sort things out for us straight away.

Location is good, lots of places to eat nearby and the bus stop is not far away either if you want to visit Chania or take the bus to Episkopi beach.

Room Tip: I think a room on an upper floor would have raised the rating for me.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked the Romantica for a last minute family holiday, Georgioupolis is located around 40 mins drive from the airport, the hotel was the first stop off as soon as you come into the resort, A supermarket is located around 20 meters away and a lovely bakery for all sorts of wonderful cakes, pasties, pies etc.. (excellent for breakfast) The hotel itself has 3 buildings and literally takes over 1 street, the location of the Hotel is excellent and is only 5 or so minutes walk to the beach, The apartment itself was nice enough but could have been better, the extractor fan did not work in the bathroom and there was no shower curtain or shower hanger to hold the shower to the wall when taking a shower. The rooms were clean enough however we were there for 1 week and we had to prompt for the towels to be changed on the 4th day as they had not been changed. This was sorted by Matt and to fair any issues that we raised were dealt with without hesitation by Matt (thanks Matt). The security safe was charged at 6 Euros for the week, there was no need for Air con during our visit. We enjoyed our visit i would certainly like to stay at the romantica again as it has the ideal location, i just hope that the niggles we experienced this time do not happen the next time we visit (hopefully the niggles we experienced were a one off). We did speak to the manageress on our last day and she did seem a very pleasant Lady so we will speak again before we next book.

Room Tip: Sleep a night before making a decision on Air con, there is a good chance you will not need it. Do...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is our third year at hotel Romantica. We love the small village and this lovely hotel with the nicest manger we ever met. She really knows what good service is!
The hotel is one minute walk from the supermarket and the bakery. If you want to buy a good breakfast you just cross the street. After a nice cup of coffee under the tree it's a few minutes walking to a lovely beach.
The hotel has a small, nice and clean pool and a baby pool as well. The rooms are not high standard, but big and clean and of course good air-condition.
This year the manager arranged a wonderful bus-trip to Spinalonga and the Aquarium for the guest that stayed at the hotel in week 38.
Great thanks to the manager Voula for 14 wonderful days of our vacation. We are already looking forward to next summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

the hotel we were booked into was overbooked what a lucky break for us.we were taken to the romantica, what a great little hotel the staff were brilliant, the hotel was very clean and tidy..the rooms were a good size and comfortable we would like to thank everybody at the hotel for a loverly week we spent with them. derek@carol 8th to 14th june 2013

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PARASKEVI P, Manager at Hotel Romantica, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much, I am glad that you enjoyed your holidays with us. See you on your next trip
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I were moved to the Romantica Hotel, when the hotel that we had booked was overbooked - and how glad we were. The Romantica is a wonderful small hotel, and all the staff are extremely polite and helpful. The rooms are of a good size, simply but well furnished, and are cleaned daily. The pool is cleaned daily and the gardens are kept to a high standard.
Special thanks must go to Voula, for whom nothing was too much trouble. She made us feel at home, and we would not hesitate in recommending the Romantica to any one staying in Georgioupolis. We are so glad that the other hotel messed up our booking!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ferseta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at this place for three days to visit Chania Archaeological Museum last month. I love to explore these types of museums, but with family, it was not possible to spend a complete day at this place, so I decided to visit this place alone. But, after staying in this hotel I never felt that I was alone. All the staff members here are very friendly and they really made me feel at home. My room and food both were nice. Services were prompt. I would not hesitate in recommending this place to my other friends and family members.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Romantica? Share your experiences!