“Great” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Rijeka, Croatia
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great food....whatever you get you wont be wrong....but their delicious pizza is my favorite.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Best buy restaurant in Rijeka area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Nice interior, delicious pizzas, not best but good steak..., very good service.
One of the best restaurants in Rijeka area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“An Absolute Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Loža has to be the best restaurant I've eaten at in Croatia so far. Their food and service was outstanding. I went there twice on my last holiday to Croatia.

To begin with, the variety and quality of food that they offered was excellent. Being a vegetarian, I've always found my choices in Croatian restaurants pretty limited. Loža was different: aside from lots of meat/fish offerings, they also had an entire vegetarian-friendly page of their menu. They actually had dishes with either tofu or seitan, which is practically unheard-of in Croatia.

Supposedly their menu changes frequently, but both times I went, I had a warm salad with tofu, which was delicious. For starters, we had stuffed mushrooms (which were really good), and a decent Caprese salad which were also very tasty. My wife had the ravioli with truffles, which she enjoyed. The second time, I took my whole family there, and several of them had pizzas, which they all enjoyed.

Our waiter was extremely attentive, helpful and polite. In addition, they were *more* than accommodating when we wanted to make changes to a few dishes to suit our tastes. They took care of everything - a side-order of tofu for me, making a kids-size portion of turkey and homemade noodles for my son (which wasn't on the menu), splitting salads that we wanted to share into two plates. This was in sharp contrast to other places we'd been to while in Croatia, that weren't happy about any changes to the menu.

The place itself is on a tiny winding street in Kastav. They have an outdoor terrace covered in grape vines, from which you can look out over the rooftops at the bay.

I found the price very reasonable. The first time we went, it worked out to around US$20/head, with starters, main, dessert and a little wine. That's about what we were paying at far less satisfying restaurants elsewhere in Croatia. I marked it "$$$" since TripAdvisor said that means "more formal dining" (and Loza does have tablecloths, etc.). But it is extremely good value.

The town itself (Kastav) is located a short distance above Opatija, and is definitely worth the trip. It's a little cooler, so good for hot summer nights, and has spectacular views of Kvarner bay, Cres island and the Opatijan riviera. (Plus it's an ancient hilltop town, so it has city walls, a fort, etc., and the obligatory cafes).

Loza was the first time I've dined in Croatia and felt I wasn't trying to fit into what the tourist industry felt I should be. I can't recommend it enough.

• Visited July 2011