“Blooming confusing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bergen
UK
“Blooming confusing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Blooming Hotel is a place that’s so self-consciously wacky and creative that you can’t help thinking it wouldn’t hurt if they toned it all down a bit. From the stripy carpets in the meeting rooms, to the gravel beds in the bar and the stuffed ball pouffes in reception, it’s not so much a visual feast as a visual assault.

After staying for two days I was still not entirely sure what the Blooming was supposed to be. It was hosting a lot of business meetings and workshops, had a large number of meeting rooms, and the meal service seemed to be set up to serve large and mid-sized groups. Our bedrooms were decidedly ‘minimalist’ in their facilities, rather more like student accommodation than a place you’d want to spend your holidays. I just can’t imagine Mr and Mrs Dutch Tourist putting their kids and their buckets and spades in the car and going to the Blooming to spend their holidays surrounded by loudly braying execs being creative and stomping around the breakout rooms.

We arrived around 1 pm on the Monday and went straight for lunch. The lunch room offers a pretty spectacular hot and cold buffet but it’s an extraordinarily loud place to be.

Our meeting room was very large and had lots of natural light with big windows and views over the woods. The temperature was good, the facilities we’d asked for were all provided and food and drink kept appearing throughout our stay. For our breaks there was a room next door with an excellent coffee machine, on tap scalding hot water for teas and plenty of different teas and herbal infusions all provided.

For an evening group activity we had something called ‘Bubbles and Bites’ which was sparkling wine testing with oysters and a chance to make our own sushi.

Everything else about the hotel had been pretty good but my room was really poor and disappointing. Looking at the hotel’s website afterwards, I learned that they have 124 rooms classified into NINE different types. I’m sorry but that’s just plain ridiculous. These range from the tiniest – the so-called ‘just me room’ for single occupancy up to two enormous suites. I would guess that ours were either ‘small rooms’ or ‘basic rooms’. Either way they were small and basic and I felt like I’d been put in a slightly upmarket student room. For just one night it was manageable but I really would have hated to be there much longer. There was really no space for anything with the TV, room safe, pull out desk, and a book shelf full of books (in Dutch) all squeezed into a unit in the corner. I could find no cupboard or anywhere to hang anything so it’s good that I was able to live straight out of my suitcase. The bed – despite being a bit small – was exceedingly comfortable which was a nice surprise.

The bathroom was tiny but well presented with a grey stone sink that you’d never want to have in your home because it’s utterly impractical and you’d have to spend half your life trying to keep it clean. The shower had a rain-shower head but the power wasn’t really up to the challenge of delivering the monsoon experience.

Despite the really good mattress and bedding, I didn’t sleep especially well because the noise from both outside and from the corridor was really annoying, with lots of people stomping around at the end of the evening and first thing in the morning.

In summary, the meeting room was good, the food was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful, but if you are there for more than a night or two, I’d strongly advise to check really carefully what you’re getting for the different room types. If you’re in one of the ‘just me’, small or basic rooms, you’ll get an experience that’s more ‘youth hostel’ than luxury hotel. As a venue for training or off-site meetings, it’s well equipped but it’s hard to get my head round the idea of this place as a holiday venue. I’d also recommend to only consider it if you’ve got your own transport and can get out and about a bit. A taxi to or from the station will cost you about €20 each way.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tabanac, Aquitaine, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were fairly standard and uninspiring but were clean and comfortable. Big bed with a good selection of pillows and a decent bathroom with a great overhead shower, though I do prefer a bar of soap to bath gel, and there were no tissues ... unusual these days.
Free wifi which worked well, and location is quiet and rural.
Very good breakfasts in first floor restaurant, though there is alsogood coffee and biscuits available in the lobby area for those in a hurry.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Big hotel visited by families, friends, couples and colleagues. Well equiped for all these kinds of guests. Good concept to be found throughout all details: breakfast from local foods, hotel room with minimal interior, but high Quality bed - the main thing, reading table with inspiring books, inspiring and welcoming phrases inside and around hotel. Attentive staff

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Limmen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

After hearing great stories about this hotel, I arrived with high hopes for my two day business meeting. Found the rooms to be a bit standard. Was expecting a bit more design. Meetingrooms were standard too, allthough the kitchen with a Smeg fridge was nice. The best part of the meeting was the food. I was told that the hotel grows it's on food and all natural. This was a real treat !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I organized a team meeting of 2 days in this hotel.
I was very pleased with the quiet and peaceful location surrounded by nature and the aesthetics of the hotel are modern and clean. Very interesting the lobby and restaurant.
The meeting room was a little disappointing. It was nothing too special and very standard.
The food at the restaurant was good but at lunch it was too busy and messy since it is a buffet kind of lunch.
The rooms were clean and had a nice view of the outside nature. It was clean and room not noisy at all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have now stayed at The Blooming on 4 separate occasions.
We usually stay as part of a long cycling trip around NL.
The weekend just gone, was exactly the same, but this time we brought 2 friends from the UK with us. We had tried not raise expectations too high, as we didn’t want to rave about how lovely it all was and then be let down with typical Dutch poor service, but we needn’t have worried…. The Blooming was, as always, beautiful, friendly, comfortable, fun and restaurant Vigor was delicious!
As I’m so used to being let down by hotels and restaurants in NL, I had emailed and called lots of times to ensure that everything I’d booked for our friends and ourselves was right – I must have been such a nuisance – but the staff were charming and efficient, as always.
Checking in was smooth, everything we had requested was done to perfection and we could just start on the serious business of relaxing and making the most of the wonderful facilities!
We enjoyed cocktails by the water, a most delicious meal in Vigor and late night drinks and laughter in the bar. The breakfasts (as always) were fabulous and plentiful (and watching the territorial behaviour around the buffet stations as entertaining as ever!) and we made good use of the pool, jacuzzi and sauna….. heaven!
The following day was spent at Jongens beach-club – which is really good and relaxed and more sun-downers at the hotel before cycling in to beautiful Bergen (definitely our favourite place in NL) for dinner.
We never want to leave The Blooming and always spend the next few days feeling gloomy because it’s over – but we are more motivated than ever to make sure we are back again soon.
The trip was the best yet and I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough.
We had The Blooming Way offer, which included a meal (no “cheap options” in terms of the menu – it was all of the highest standard and truly delicious), a cocktail (no restrictive cocktail lists only offering naff watered-down boring drinks – we could have whatever we wanted!) and 2 nights b&b for around 125 euros per person. That is an excellent deal. No wonder the hotel was fully booked.
Of course we spent much more money on extras – but didn’t regret a cent – all money very well spent.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to the best hotel in NL – Can’t wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Europe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Located in a forest, in the neighborhood of a delightfull small Dutch town, it looks like an idylic location.
However, after check-in, management flaws just start to surface.First room I was checked in (1204), was smelling damp really bad. I asked to change and with some reluctance I was given another one (1304). The smell here was OK, but it was more than obvious that the cleaning personnel did not do their job properly. The window glass was very dirty, there was also sand on the interior. I am also posting some pictures, hoping the management of the hotel will see this and hopefully fix it.
In general the room's furniture and amenities looked worn and out-of-date. Same for the hall, elevator, etc.
The bed and the sheets were all right, excellent quality as usual in Holland, therefore the sleep was good.
There is a new wing of the hotel, I could not get a room there but I suppose the aspect substantially better. I would advise any future travelers to ask for a room there.
Al in all, average, not to avoid, but also not to specially recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Blooming Hotel? Share your experiences!