The good: Pretty much everything was as described. We booked a comfort class room with bath tub and the room exceeded our expectations. We had a tiny balcony (which we didn't use, as it was raining), a large tub, which we did, and a work desk. The breakfast buffet was nothing special, but a nice mix of the standard dutch cold cuts, sausages, bacon and scrambled eggs.
We rented bicycles and rode around in the nearby woods and up a paved path through some dunes. We had no complaints about parking. We took the train to nearby Alkmaar, and a bus to the center of Bergen and had an easy stroll to the hotel.
The bad: honestly? I dislike the standard Dutch hotel practice of two beds being pushed together as a double. That crack in the middle annoys me. But if that's the worst I can say, well, that's not too bad.
The odd: Some comments were made about the buffet not being replenished fast enough. I saw this, but I also noted "Where did all these people come from?" The hotel consists of a number of smaller disconnected buildings. The kitchen and wait staff were constantly replenishing the breakfast trays. It's just the guests were quickly emptying them as well. Also noted were comments about the cool and unhelpful staff. I guess we were just lucky. They were friendly and helpful.
Overall, this was a very pleasant surprise, and we're looking for an excuse to come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This hotel offers elegant rooms, an a-la-carte restaurant and a cozy brasserie in the center of the charming village of Bergen. The hotel has a patio and beautiful garden. Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Marijke lies in the center of historical village, only 5 kilometers from the beaches and dunes of the North Sea. Besides that cities like Alkmaar, Amsterdam and Haarlem are also close by. In the morning you can enjoy an extensive breakfast buffet. Or would you like a lunch or a fabulous dinner? Hotel-Restaurant Marijke's brasserie and restaurant offers these and more. And for a drink you can go to the friendly brasserie or convivial bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Marijke reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Bergen Aan Zee
- Bergen Aan Zee Best Western