“love Cuba” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cameleon Villas Jibacoa (Villa Tropico)

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jibacoa
Cameleon Villas Jibacoa (Villa Tropico)
You added Cameleon Villas Jibacoa (Villa Tropico) to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jibacoa Beach, Jibacoa, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Jibacoa
guelph
“love Cuba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Club Villa Jibacoa from Jan 22nd to Jan 29th.I must admit we picked this resort because we got a really good deal on it. Well I must say that it was well worth it!

It is a lovely small resort, tucked nicely in a small mountian range. It is a nicely spread out, the grounds are beautiful. The grounds keepers work very hard to keep it so. The beaches were also nice, it was unfortunate that we were there in a bad week as there was alot of jelly fish washing ashore. This also had the ocean unacessable for most of the time we were there. What little snorkelling I did get in was well worth it as many fish are seen just a few feet off the beach.

Some of the best staff would be found at this resort. From the housekeepers with thier towel art, keeping the rooms very clean to the grounds-keepers every morning on the beach cleaning up the jelly fish and seaweed, the bartenders are simply wonderful,(you have to try the spanish coffees, a work of art). The ladies at the front desk were friendly and courteous, and while a small animation team they tried hard. Do go on the hikes they offer. The one to farm was quite informative. The Cuban people are among the nicest I have ever met. The second hike up the mountian is not for the weaker or unfit. It's about a half hour of hard steep climb up a small dirt trail. well worth the exertion as you get a great view over the resort. The farmers are friendly and let you sample some local fruit.
There are a few restuarants off the resort, I did not personally go, some of the others did with mostly good reviews. There is also a couple small sounvenir stand of the resort, both are run by locals and have good selections.

The resort has only one restuarant, the food was the usual Cuban food. There was always enough to eat with wonderful waitresses. The best meal was breakfast, especially the omellets. We did eat once at the al la Carte, it was also a good meal.

The pool was small but never crowded, there was always chairs available.There was a snack bar by the pool , just hamburgers, hot dogs and fried potato chips all very good.

If your looking for a party place this is not the place for you. If your looking for a nice quiet place to relax in the sun, this is it. We met a lot od really nice people here, many have been to this resort several times and plan to keep coming back.

Room Tip: even number rooms face towards the ocean, odds face back of the resort.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Saint Catharines, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My GF (39) and I (37) just returned from a week in CVJ. We both loved it. We met so many nice people and made a few true friends.

The highlight of our trip was the day in Havana with our driver/guide Karel. Karel is a University educated 30 year old that makes more money driving taxi than he would if he took a job in his field (and when I say "took a job" I mean, if he was assigned the job by the government). He took us to the Revolution Museum and was very patient as we explored. He would answer every question and translate any Spanish to English for us. I promised him I'd put his information on the internet (he doesn't have a computer).

If you want a wonderful day in Havana with a great guide who drives a 1956 Green Ford Fairlane with Air conditioning and a CD player with the latest music (he had Adele 21) please call Karel (his cell phone number is 52498942 - just call from your room). He will charge 70 CUC and you will have a great time. BTW ladies, he's very good looking...but he waxes his eyebrows lol

Anyway, on Valentines Day we went up to Los Marios's (it's the third house up the road). His front porch serves as the restaurant floor. He had it decorated for Valentines day. We had a fantastic lobster dinner for $40 ($20 each including tip). We couldn't finish the lobster. Mario drove us to and from the resort (I had pre arranged it with him when I met him in the resort store 2 days before) in his rough Green Lada with a smile. He's a very nice guy.

We had to spend our first 2 nights in the "hotel" building but I was patient and just kep asking when I could get moved. They politely explained that everyone wants to be in the villa and I can understand that. I think just by being polite and patient they gave me priority because there were some other people trying to get in a villa but they wanted to be able to choose the room and then got pissed that there was a king bed instead of 2 doubles. Ugh. She was an annoying b*&ch. Anyway... once I did get my room (#11) I tipped the two girls that helped me $10 each. They were very happy and always remembered me after that.

The staff is the best. Everyone gives a smile and "hola" when you walk by. I love the Cuban people. I won't be going to Dominican Republic ever again - I'm sold on Cuba and the people. And I can also say I'm sold on CJV. They had everything I needed - free drinks, edible food available when I was hungry, sun, beach, ocean, relaxation. A guy I met said is best when he said he just wanted to sit and stare for a week. lol There was entertainment a few nights we were there... the first was a guy playing keyboards in the lobby, the second was in the Amphitheatre. Although all the music was Caribbean and it was repetitive, it was still cool seeing a couple local entertainers doing their thing. There was this one cheesy comedy..the lead-man did manage to get 2 men out of the audience to dress as women, including lipstick. lmao It was enough of a break, then it was back to people the pool and drinks.

I would totally go back to CJV again, in fact, I can assure you I would.

Tips:
Bug spray - even if you don't feel them, you will get bites on your legs, just bring some off and use it on your legs (knees down) every night and you will be fine.

Thermal Mugs - amateurs forget this very important point. If you don't bring mugs you will drink out of these little plastic cups and your drinks will get warm fast. Just bring the mugs...you won't regret it.

The store beside the lobby building is very reasonably priced. 0.70 for a big huge bottle of water. You can get smokes (Hollywood) for 0.60, Pringles are expensive at 4.50, we didn't find prices to be much different off resort.

Ala Carte - gross - not worth it. Greasy chicken meat, dried out fish... I didn't eat and didn't tip.

Toilet Paper - HORDE IT! I grabbed a pack of 4 off a maids cart and put it in the safe. Take a roll with you in your beach bags the washrooms are always running out. Trust me on this, please. hehehe

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Selkirk, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

this was my first hot holiday and we went to Villa Jibacoa and I loved it ! the people there are amazing and so very friendly ,they always made you feell right at home! the beach and the pools were amazing along with the beautiful weather! the food was ok,,i ate alot of pasta ,desserts and icecream was to die for! the bartenders were amazing right along with each and every drin kthey made me, definately would go back!! great trip for a great price!

Room Tip: choose one of the villas ,not the hotel,,,villas are closer to everything
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am afraid of the water, i dont swim but I did snorkeling. It was fantastic. The propriety is well kept, nice trees with beatiful colors. People are nice and hard working. It has my first time in Cuba. I felt in Love with it. I visit Havana ( with a group) it is very close, just 1 hours. Havana is amasing, history and you still can imagine the old glamour. Tropicana show great, lots of rum, rum, rum.
I was there of season, and the food was limited. My room was close to the beach( nr.5), good location for beach, food or lobby bar. Spanish coffee the best.
I would like to send all my good wishes to my snorkeling trainer, who tought me this amasing way to see the underwater greatness.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We went here the first week of January. I chose this based on the reviews and the price.There are a lot of helpful reviews on here. This was our second trip to Cuba. The grounds and beach are beautiful at this resort. The staff are so nice here and the ones who have better English love to practice it with you. To have a better trip I recommend that you take a Dukkoral vaccine before going to Cuba, and to bring some Cipro as it is hard to get here. Cuba is a challenge to your stomach so use the boil it, cook it rules or you will be sorry. The restaurants up the road Los Marios and El Cacique are both great.
Things to bring
-Dont forget flashlights you need them at night.
-Your own pillow and blanket if you can fit them
- Lots of snacks
_ Your own snorkel
_ Stuff to trade beach sellers for souvenirs . They like clothes
Bathroom stuff, tylenol, shoes, old cell phones.
_ Shoes that you can walk far in comfortably
_ Cipro and kaopectate and any other meds

Wellington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This January was my eighth return stay at Villa's Jibicoa. I found the food to very good and plenty of it. There was excellent roast pork, chicken, turkey and fish (fresh catch of the day). The soups and pastries were excellent. Also there was plenty of fresh fruit and dairy product. The staff are welcoming and friendly.

For the price this resort is a phenominal deal and I will be returning next year for my ninth visit.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I read a lot of these reviews before we left so I should add my two cents worth now that we are back! We spent one week at Cameleon Villas Jibacoa at the end of Jan, the 25th to Feb 2nd. I have never been to an all inclusive before and my husband and I have traveled a lot before but now that we have 2 small kids and the prices for an all inclusive to Cuba are basically cheaper than just the flight, we thought we would give it a try. I really didn't want a place that was too big or too fancy. We like camping and backpacking so this place was much better for us. Its all small bungalows so if you are there with kids its very easy to hangout outside on the lawn. The grounds here are really beautiful and its small and easy to walk around. Our 5 year old loved it since it was very small and safe, he could have a lot of freedom. The beach is beautiful, good snorkeling and easy access to the reef.We took a paddle boat out so our 5 year old could snorkel on the reef too. The paddle boats are included with the package for the use of the guests which was a nice bonus. Lots of natural shade under the trees on the beach.
The staff were wonderful, the food is nothing fancy but at least you won't eat too much! the bar drinks were excellent. This is a quiet place, when we were there it was mostly older people but there were a few other families and a few other young folks that we hung out with. There isn't much entertainment but they do have some live musicians that come a few nights a week including a large traditional Cuban band that performed one night and they were amazing. The trumpet player started teaching my son how to play and he really inspired him and now he is going to start lessons here in Montreal!
The weather at the end of January is not really beach weather so you have to be prepared to keep yourself busy with cultural stuff. It was really windy, overcast many days and I guess January is also Portugese Man of War (jelly fish) season. ugh! although they had cleared up in the last days we were there. The next time we go to Cuba I will probably try to go later in the season.
We went into Havana for 2 day trips.We took one of the old taxis for 70CUC a day. That is for 7 hrs and if you want to stay longer, which we did it will be about 10CUC extra per hour. The driver will either guide you around or pick you up and drop you off where ever you want. We had friends to visit so he waited and then took us and our friends to another place, waited picked us up..etc. basically you have a private driver for the day. The second time we went we shared the taxi with another couple and these cars are so big you can fit quite a few people inside! Its 50 a minute drive from Jibacoa to Havana. So not too bad for a day trip. We loved Havana. Its a very vibrant and beautiful city. There seemed to be some really touristy areas right in old Havana which I would say to skip as quickly as possible but just being around the other parts of the city was really interesting.
Anyway...I would recommend this resort if you are looking for quiet, charming and simple resort in a gorgeous area with easy access to Havana. I would go back!

Room Tip: all of the even numbered rooms are the ocean facing rooms and they have a bigger "front step&qu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Cameleon Villas Jibacoa (Villa Tropico)? Share your experiences!