The location is beautiful (however a bit misleading if you were expecting long white beaches - the beaches are quite rocky and not really suitable for swimming). They bay however with the ruins in the middle is visually stunning.
The staff were excellent throughout our stay, making it comfortable and welcoming. So were the dogs!
Rose and Fritz were great hosts as well. The kitchen was stellar, bringing out delicious dishes (presented fantastically) every time we sat down for a meal, especially since we there were 3 vegetarians in our group.
We also did the east coast tour which was fantastic (try and negotiate to squeeze the spice tour into the east coast tour for a really full day if you are short on time)
The rooms were spacious however there were a few issues here... Firstly the bathroom was tiny, minuscule even. Barely any space to move.. and poorly lit. The shower was quite horrible. Barely any pressure and lukewarm at best. Secondly the air conditioning was very weak; barely cooling the room even when left on an entire day. This led to somewhat uncomfortable nights. Lastly the sockets in the room were all european.. which we found quite strange. There are adapters available at the reception but they were all taken when we asked.. There really should be an adapter for each room.
Also watch out for the afternoon tea, its great and the cakes are tasty but they are not complimentary! Quite pricey actually..
The wifi was barely usable.. but didn't really need to use it as we were trying to disconnect! (you can also pay for a faster connection)
Overall the stay was great. We had a really good time and I would recommend the place to couples and travelers.. Families with small children may struggle.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Located on the west coast of the exotic island Zanzibar under shady age-old mango trees, bordered by a secret private bay you will find our 4 star hotel Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Our beach hotel offers 13 comfortable bungalows - all with a spectacular view to of Indian Ocean. The new Villa Zanzibar is the highlight of all bungalows. Weddings and honeymoons - are you are looking for a romantic place to get married under palm trees, on the beach or next to historical palace ruins? Here, your dreams will come true. In our unique Day Spa you may revitalize your body and soul. Enjoy the breathtaking African sunsets. Let your eyes wander to the south, see the skyline of Stone Town, the small Chapwani and Prison Island, and just ahead the silhouette of the African continent. You will feel enchanted. The hotel is managed by the German owners Rose and Fritz. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hakuna Matata Beach Hotel Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa Zanzibar/Bububu