“Relaxing after safari” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Bububu
Austria
“Relaxing after safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

A great place to stay for people who love peace and quiet and excellent food! Swimming is also fine, both in the pool and the sea, which comes in reliably every afternoon. The staff is exceptionally friendly and obliging, and they take great pains to entertain the guests by beach dinners, special dinners in the ruins, etc. Rose, the owner, and Conny, the German manager, see to it that everything runs smoothly. We feel we have found a home in Zanzibar, and whenever we travel to Africa, we will definitely end our stay at Hamuna Matata again.
Susanne and Josef (Austria)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Billings, Montana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Off a friends recommendation, my wife and I decided to travel this little quiet and relaxing lodge in Bububu, Zanzani. At first, I was edgy but I soon relaxed at the friendliest of greetings from their staff. I then learned some of the history around the hotel and couldn't believe it was actually situated on the ruins of a palace built by an actual Sultan. Come to understand this lodge was just the tip of the iceberg in my history lesson to this country. Turns out that Freddie Mercury from the band "Queen" was born nearby in "Stone Town". Well enough with the history, but the food was to die for. I travelled alot and everytime I go somewhere new, it never ceases to amaze me what delicious avenues a certain culture could dream up. My wife, however, is a stickler and she wouldn't try the food. Sad to say, we only got to try the meals at the lodge the first day, and the rest we ate out in town. Other than that, the service was extremely important in helping us with anything we needed. Our friends were right and this was an excellent recommendation, and I would recommend this place to my friends as well.

Room Tip: Off a friends recommendation, my wife and I decided to travel this little quiet and relaxing lodge i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I recently got back from our East African honeymoon adventure, and the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge was one of the best things about our excursion. We stayed at this lodge for 7 days and 6 nights and enjoyed every moment.

Our luxury bungalow was spacious and featured a huge king bed, beautiful décor including breathtaking artwork and artifacts, a spacious modern bathroom, and breathtaking views from our terrace. We were at peace each morning when we awoke and went out on the terrace to have coffee while enjoying the extraordinary view of the Indian Ocean.

We really enjoyed dining at the lodge’s restaurant, Roses Kitchen. The food was exquisite, and they took pride in providing us with the freshest in seafood right from the Indian ocean. Although we weren’t too thrilled with some of the Zanzibar cuisine, they had a wide variety of choices. A few nights, we enjoyed our dinner by candlelight right on the beach – it was very romantic.

Their Beach n Drums event is a must see, featuring a bonfire on the beach, the sound of African Drums, and delicious barbecue in the night sky. And the spa – this may have been one of my personal favorite highlights of our trip while at the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge. I received the Aroma Therapy massage at their Chuini Spa, and felt so refreshed afterwards, almost like a new person. The staff was very helpful and professional, and made our stay as comfortable as possible.

Our overall experience was fantastic, and we can’t wait to return. My husband and I are already planning another trip to East Africa, and guess where we’ll be staying again?

Room Tip: The luxury bungalows offer extraordinary terrace views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jena, Thüringen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

So maybe the accomodation wasn't on par with something you'd find in Europe or North America, but it didn't take anything away from the trip. It was simple and comortable and more than served its purpose. It was a great place to relax and forget about the hassles of everyday life and how Western culture so fixated on appearances.The atmosphere more than made up for the rustic accomodation. I really felt as though I had stepped into a completely different world. I experienced some of the most breathtaking sunsets that I have ever seen. The staff were laid back and friendly. The food was also really amazing. I was aprehensive about some of the exotic food but the staff were reall patient and helped me to choose something that I was sure to like.The prices were more than fair. I really feel as though I got my money's worth. I would definately recommend this place to others. I hope to come back again myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Byron, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The location is breath taking. The beauty of the beaches is unmatched and lodge easily becomes part of the local landscape. Relaxation began as soon as we arrived. The staff was wonderfully attentive and set a new standard for professional service. Our room was perfection and pristinely clean. We enjoyed the pool, spa, and our walks on the beach. We really were able to leave our everyday worries behind. I do think I may have enjoyed the food a little to much! Rose's kitchen treated us to irresistible treats so I gained 2 happy pounds. I am counting the days until we can return to this paradise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Having first stayed in Nungwi at a nice hotel for a week - but also a village with very many tourists and unfortunately loud techno music from a nereby discotheque during the night - then arriving at Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge was like arriving in Paradise. Calm, beautiful, nice rooms with excllent views towards the sea, and a restaurant serving fantastic food. The staff also arranged a wedding for us New Years Eve and everything worked out in the best possible way. This was one of the most satisfying holiday experiences we have had for many years!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

What an incredibly relaxing vacation! My fiancee and I had such a great time while we were there! My fiancee spent most of his time by the pool getting his tan on and I spent as much time as I could at the spa! (Did I say how relaxing it was?) The food from Rose's kitchen was incredible! Everything was fresh and prepared exactly as I ordered it, and since I'm quite picky, that is a true feat! At night we enjoyed the "planetarium" event at the Sultan's lounge, where we sipped on cocktails and watched the stars. I loved it so much, I'm trying to convince him to let me have our wedding there! My only complaint is that the rooms were a little bit on the smaller side, so we kept running into each other, but on the whole it was a truly great experience. Next time, I'll just have to pack a little bit less!

Room Tip: Make sure to choose a room facing away from the morning sun if you aren't a morning person!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!