“A getaway from the everyday” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Early summer package
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Bububu
Jena, Thüringen, Germany
“A getaway from the everyday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

So maybe the accomodation wasn't on par with something you'd find in Europe or North America, but it didn't take anything away from the trip. It was simple and comortable and more than served its purpose. It was a great place to relax and forget about the hassles of everyday life and how Western culture so fixated on appearances.The atmosphere more than made up for the rustic accomodation. I really felt as though I had stepped into a completely different world. I experienced some of the most breathtaking sunsets that I have ever seen. The staff were laid back and friendly. The food was also really amazing. I was aprehensive about some of the exotic food but the staff were reall patient and helped me to choose something that I was sure to like.The prices were more than fair. I really feel as though I got my money's worth. I would definately recommend this place to others. I hope to come back again myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Byron, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The location is breath taking. The beauty of the beaches is unmatched and lodge easily becomes part of the local landscape. Relaxation began as soon as we arrived. The staff was wonderfully attentive and set a new standard for professional service. Our room was perfection and pristinely clean. We enjoyed the pool, spa, and our walks on the beach. We really were able to leave our everyday worries behind. I do think I may have enjoyed the food a little to much! Rose's kitchen treated us to irresistible treats so I gained 2 happy pounds. I am counting the days until we can return to this paradise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Having first stayed in Nungwi at a nice hotel for a week - but also a village with very many tourists and unfortunately loud techno music from a nereby discotheque during the night - then arriving at Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge was like arriving in Paradise. Calm, beautiful, nice rooms with excllent views towards the sea, and a restaurant serving fantastic food. The staff also arranged a wedding for us New Years Eve and everything worked out in the best possible way. This was one of the most satisfying holiday experiences we have had for many years!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

What an incredibly relaxing vacation! My fiancee and I had such a great time while we were there! My fiancee spent most of his time by the pool getting his tan on and I spent as much time as I could at the spa! (Did I say how relaxing it was?) The food from Rose's kitchen was incredible! Everything was fresh and prepared exactly as I ordered it, and since I'm quite picky, that is a true feat! At night we enjoyed the "planetarium" event at the Sultan's lounge, where we sipped on cocktails and watched the stars. I loved it so much, I'm trying to convince him to let me have our wedding there! My only complaint is that the rooms were a little bit on the smaller side, so we kept running into each other, but on the whole it was a truly great experience. Next time, I'll just have to pack a little bit less!

Room Tip: Make sure to choose a room facing away from the morning sun if you aren't a morning person!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We arrived to Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge and were welcomed with an enormous heart warming friendliness, being treated like members of the local family from the very beginning until the end of our stay. The purpose of our stay was a double wedding. Despite the excitedness especially of the two brides, both the owners Rose and Fritz and the Managers Olivia and Simon managed to transfer the Zanzibar guideline "Pole, Pole" (Swahili), which can be translated by "keep calm guys, everything is going to be alright" by creating a relaxed environment and atmosphere during the entire preparation of the wedding and the days before the wedding.

The location of the lodge is a blast! Located right at the edge of a rocky coast part, the view is spectacular. Overlooking the Zanzibar Channel, the lodge is looking to the West allowing to be spectators of facinating Sunset sceneries.

The place has it's own almost private beach located at a scenic lagoon that opens to the ocean, however quickly draining during low tide.

The Bungalows, we stayed at the Honeymoon Suite "Kilwa", is spacious and furnished with local equippment. A special attraction is the artwork mixing local flowers and towel based figures provided fresh daily by the room maids. The bathroom and seperate toilet is always kept clean and tidy, as well as the remainder of the bungalow. Please do not expect a five star hotel room in a location at the "end of the world", in the most positive meaning. Rooms are practical, fully functional, smartly designed, cosy and clean. To us it felt like home from the very beginning.

Food is just great, accompanied by great wines, mainly local ones from the Cape Region. Rose, a trained and long term experienced chef, has created her own way of cooking and dishes mixing local fresh ingredients with individual creativity. Although there is no "a la carte" menu for dinner we have enjoyed the taste experience with every meal. Breakfast always Is a mix of fresh local tropical fruit and a variety of warm dishes like pancakes, eggs in any style or omlette and freshly baked bread, roles and selfmade marmelade and jam.

Service personnel. All staff is well trained, friendly and polite. You can physically recognize that people like their job and feel personally committed to delivering good service.

Mohammad ist taking care of the organization of any type of touristic tours.We did the afternoon tour to Stone Town (UNESCO world heritage), the Spice Tour and the East Coast Tour. Quality was good and provides good value for money, especially when you go by a group of more than two people. You pay a base fee for up to two and only a minor add on for each additional guest. Fair deal!

Summary:
We enjoyed our week at Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge very much. Our Wedding was extrodinarily organized and we took home more than we had expected. Dear Rose, Fritz, Olivia, Simon and Marion, we arrived as your guests and you gave us the impression that we left you as friends! Thank you for a great time, and we promise to come back for a future anniversary...

Until then, take it "Pole, Pole"

Anja and Thorsten

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

This was the Worst hôtel we had in 16 days of holydays in Tanzania. We went there because we read a lot of good advices on Trip Advisor about it but 3 months ago the owners changed, now a woman named Barbara and her husband hold it and it's a disaster !!! There is no one To welcome you, our room wasn't ready when we arrived, the room was full of insects (moskitos, lizzards and worms!!) the food was very very expensive and not good as expected. There is no choice for the food but a unique meal and a unique price whatever if you don't want something in it. And OVERPRICED !!
The worst was the excursion desk do not go !! They offer you overpriced excursion and it is a complete joke in particular the spice tour which was organised by 2 kids.
Thé day we left no one came To help us with our bags !
Imagine that it was for our honeymoon !!

• Stayed September 2012
HakunaMatata1, Inhaber at Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hello
here Fritz and Rose speaking. We are very concerned about your entry.
Very sorry what happened to you at Hakuna Matata.
We knew about the problems of the new owner and of his incompetent management.
Mid of October, Zanzibar Tourist Commssission took us back in charge of Hakuna Matata.
We promise all future guests - this will not happen again.
We Fritz an Rose stand for this.
Maby you give us a 2nd chance and return one day.
All the best
Rose and Fritz
Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Hakuna Matata has wonderful facilities along a phenomenal beach setting. Fritz, Rose, and Sarah were incredibly friendly, hospitable, and treated me and my family as their own. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and have full intentions of going back as soon as possible.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!