We arrived to Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge and were welcomed with an enormous heart warming friendliness, being treated like members of the local family from the very beginning until the end of our stay. The purpose of our stay was a double wedding. Despite the excitedness especially of the two brides, both the owners Rose and Fritz and the Managers Olivia and Simon managed to transfer the Zanzibar guideline "Pole, Pole" (Swahili), which can be translated by "keep calm guys, everything is going to be alright" by creating a relaxed environment and atmosphere during the entire preparation of the wedding and the days before the wedding.
The location of the lodge is a blast! Located right at the edge of a rocky coast part, the view is spectacular. Overlooking the Zanzibar Channel, the lodge is looking to the West allowing to be spectators of facinating Sunset sceneries.
The place has it's own almost private beach located at a scenic lagoon that opens to the ocean, however quickly draining during low tide.
The Bungalows, we stayed at the Honeymoon Suite "Kilwa", is spacious and furnished with local equippment. A special attraction is the artwork mixing local flowers and towel based figures provided fresh daily by the room maids. The bathroom and seperate toilet is always kept clean and tidy, as well as the remainder of the bungalow. Please do not expect a five star hotel room in a location at the "end of the world", in the most positive meaning. Rooms are practical, fully functional, smartly designed, cosy and clean. To us it felt like home from the very beginning.
Food is just great, accompanied by great wines, mainly local ones from the Cape Region. Rose, a trained and long term experienced chef, has created her own way of cooking and dishes mixing local fresh ingredients with individual creativity. Although there is no "a la carte" menu for dinner we have enjoyed the taste experience with every meal. Breakfast always Is a mix of fresh local tropical fruit and a variety of warm dishes like pancakes, eggs in any style or omlette and freshly baked bread, roles and selfmade marmelade and jam.
Service personnel. All staff is well trained, friendly and polite. You can physically recognize that people like their job and feel personally committed to delivering good service.
Mohammad ist taking care of the organization of any type of touristic tours.We did the afternoon tour to Stone Town (UNESCO world heritage), the Spice Tour and the East Coast Tour. Quality was good and provides good value for money, especially when you go by a group of more than two people. You pay a base fee for up to two and only a minor add on for each additional guest. Fair deal!
We enjoyed our week at Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge very much. Our Wedding was extrodinarily organized and we took home more than we had expected. Dear Rose, Fritz, Olivia, Simon and Marion, we arrived as your guests and you gave us the impression that we left you as friends! Thank you for a great time, and we promise to come back for a future anniversary...
Until then, take it "Pole, Pole"
Anja and Thorsten
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Located on the west coast of the exotic island Zanzibar under shady age-old mango trees, bordered by a secret private bay you will find our 4 star hotel Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Our beach hotel offers 13 comfortable bungalows - all with a spectacular view to of Indian Ocean. The new Villa Zanzibar is the highlight of all bungalows. Weddings and honeymoons - are you are looking for a romantic place to get married under palm trees, on the beach or next to historical palace ruins? Here, your dreams will come true. In our unique Day Spa you may revitalize your body and soul. Enjoy the breathtaking African sunsets. Let your eyes wander to the south, see the skyline of Stone Town, the small Chapwani and Prison Island, and just ahead the silhouette of the African continent. You will feel enchanted. The hotel is managed by the German owners Rose and Fritz. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Tingo and Odigeo so you can book your Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hakuna Matata Beach Hotel Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa Zanzibar/Bububu