My wife and I were looking for somewhere we could relax and rest in comfort over Christmas & the New Year. Hakuna Matata was the ideal place for us, being a relatively small and quiet resort at Bububu on the west coast of Zanzibar, about 12km north of Stonetown. Our bungalow was large and very comfortable with a lovely view over the small cove that the resort lies next to. We had a living room with separate bedroom and bathroom and our own terrace. Our only quibble was that the air conditioning was not really adequate to cool the bedroom.
The owners (Rose & Fritz) and all of the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the service was excellent at all times.
There is a small private beach on the cove, but it is not ideal for swimming as the water is shallow and the tidal range is very large, so only really good at high tide. Nonetheless, at low tide it was possible to take long walks along the very attractive beaches either side of the cove.
The food was uniformly excellent, though we sometimes found it a little heavy (hot soup in 30C heat!), but eating dinner in the open air while watching the moon set into the sea is a real treat.
There is a tour agent on site who will organise trips out. Expensive but very good.
Altogether our stay was excellent, and exactly what we wanted.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Located on the west coast of the exotic island Zanzibar under shady age-old mango trees, bordered by a secret private bay you will find our 4 star hotel Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Our beach hotel offers 13 comfortable bungalows - all with a spectacular view to of Indian Ocean. The new Villa Zanzibar is the highlight of all bungalows. Weddings and honeymoons - are you are looking for a romantic place to get married under palm trees, on the beach or next to historical palace ruins? Here, your dreams will come true. In our unique Day Spa you may revitalize your body and soul. Enjoy the breathtaking African sunsets. Let your eyes wander to the south, see the skyline of Stone Town, the small Chapwani and Prison Island, and just ahead the silhouette of the African continent. You will feel enchanted. The hotel is managed by the German owners Rose and Fritz. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda and Despegar.com so you can book your Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hakuna Matata Beach Hotel Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa Zanzibar/Bububu