For our Zanzibar honeymoon, we decided for our first few nights to be at the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge. I really wanted to impress her with a room in their honeymoon suite that looked over the water. Our trip for October was booked in March with confirmation for the honeymoon suite. You can only understand our surprise when they put us in a "regular suite." They had no record of our booking the Honeymoon suite and luckily I had saved the email from 6 months ago telling me of our booking.
Rath, the manager had felt so bad over this mishap and compensated us very well. In truth, it was not about the money as much as we flew halfway across the globe for our honeymoon to stay as "2nd class" guests at such a wonderful hotel. We were very grateful for Rath giving us his personal attention for our three nights that we stayed there. However, our last night there, Rose, the owner stops by our table for dinner and without introducing herself or apologizing, she states that she just got back in and confirmed our departure the next day. My wife and I had never felt so alienated. Then she proceeded to come back over and talk to us in German the next morning(as it wasn't already obvious that we were the only Americans at the place).
Truth be told, we just did not want to spend a honeymoon day driving around Zanzibar trying to find a new place. I have a feeling that had Rose been present on the day of our arrival and mishap, she would not have compensated us any. Rath and the rest of the staff were so nice to us, that it was no point in being upset and we were happy just making the best of the situation. Beware, just because Hakuna Matata says that you have a particular room, does not neccessarily mean you have that room booked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Located on the west coast of the exotic island Zanzibar under shady age-old mango trees, bordered by a secret private bay you will find our 4 star hotel Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa. Our beach hotel offers 13 comfortable bungalows - all with a spectacular view to of Indian Ocean. The new Villa Zanzibar is the highlight of all bungalows. Weddings and honeymoons - are you are looking for a romantic place to get married under palm trees, on the beach or next to historical palace ruins? Here, your dreams will come true. In our unique Day Spa you may revitalize your body and soul. Enjoy the breathtaking African sunsets. Let your eyes wander to the south, see the skyline of Stone Town, the small Chapwani and Prison Island, and just ahead the silhouette of the African continent. You will feel enchanted. The hotel is managed by the German owners Rose and Fritz. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hakuna Matata Beach Hotel Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Bububu
- Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa Zanzibar/Bububu