“The Penha Longa experience is absolutely wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Penha Longa Resort

You added Penha Longa Resort to your Saves list
Penha Longa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Estrada da Lagoa Azul | Sintra, Linho 2714-511, Portugal   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linho
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“The Penha Longa experience is absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The surrounding grounds and views from the hotel are just stunning. My partner and I played the 18 hole golf course three times and both agreed that no other course will compare from then on. You are simply spoilt with beautifully manicured fairways and greens and the most scenic views from the tees. The hotel itself is also fantastic. We had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the pool and one of the fairways. The rooms cater for your every need and the bathroom is the type of bathroom that you wish you had at home. The service too is excellent. Although its 5 star the staff are neither pretentious or stuffy but incredibly friendly and go out of their way to do anything for you. I didn't get a chance to try the spa but it looked beautiful. We only tried one of the restaurants, the trendy Arola where we had some tapas. The meal was good but we preferred to get a cab into the nearby Cascais for dinner in the evening. The Japanese restaurant is supposed to be the best in Portugal but I'm not too keen on Japanese so it would have been wasted on me. All in all I can totally recommend staying at Penha Longa and can not wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Probably this is the best hotel i'd ever been... in the heart of Sintra, the most romantic place in Europe (for me, of course) this is really a 5* hotel, all crew super cool, the only thing I can appoint is that some of them don't talk any portuguese, which could be a problem to someone...
The pools are great, the spa fabulous, the lounge perfect, very beautiful, a lovely place in all aspects.
The rooms are very confortable and big, including a Nespresso machine, flat tv, internet (with charge, expensive I think), a big and confortable bathroom, perfect view with a great balcony. Fantastic!!!
The breakfast is also great (even if my wife found a yogurt with the expire date 3 days late!!!) and with all classic but quality food.
Resuming, we love our stay, a very short one, but unforgettable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a week in June 2011. We were given a free upgrade to a larger room on the top floor with lovely bathroom and large balcony. The room was very comfortable and was very clean. Others have mentioned the 3 euro charge for a cup of coffee from the Nespresso machine in your room - this is truly outrageous and feels like "gouging". When you have paid that price for a room, the least you can expect is to have a coffee. Also no tea alternative is offered. Leaves a bad taste, so to speak.

Hotel is of undeniably very good quality. Breakfast selection amongst the best I have ever seen. Hotel bar has a very nice feel and the staff are all eager to please. The swimming pool, if not enormous, is really lovely and gets the evening sun - great after a game of golf. My only gripe is around the prices for everything (food etc) - they truly are astronomical, but presumably that is their policy, to keep the place exclusive. However, I think there should be better value for money if you are going to charge that amount- portion sizes were mean. The result was that we generally went out elsewhere to eat. Wifi access is 18 euros a day!

The setting of the hotel is truly lovely, in the forest near Sintra, with ruins in the very large grounds. I would suggest a walk around the 9 hole, Mosteiro golf course even if you do not play, as this takes you past some lovely parts of the estate. The main Atlantic golf course is a bit of a monster, with a lot of hills, but is immaculately kept and very enjoyable to play, if challenging. Top class golf with some great views across to the sea.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Balzan, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at this Hotel for three nights and these must have been the best three nights that I have ever spent in a hotel. I had a standard room which was extremely spacious together with a medium sized terrace with a view of the gold course. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom had a separate shower and bath. Not only, but the room was equipped with both a kettle as well as a Nespresso machine. Rooms were cleaned twice daily.
With regards to amenities, the gym is very well equipped whilst the pool area is also very spacious and comfortable.
The only negative comment is the quality of food served at lunch. It was a buffet however the choice and the taste was nothing to write home about.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I have spent the last weekend in Penha Longa Hotel & Golf resort. I have enjoy each minute there. Excelent service ( I have never been treated better) and lovely athmosphere. The rooms are gorgeus and you will have all kind of details: guides of the area, nespresso coffee, Bulgari amenities, 2 television, 1,5 bathroom....The area is really nice inside a Golf court, with swimming pool, Balinesses beds, Church and spectacular gardens.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Penha Longa is a 5-star Ritz Carlton resort - the elite brand within the JW Marriott portfolio - so we were naturally expecting it to be good.

Notwithstanding, we were truly amazed by the quality of our experience. Indeed, we only returned a couple of hours ago after a 7-hour drive back to Madrid, so that's how happy I am. In case you're wondering, I am not easy to please. I am a stickler for good service. Give me poor service and I go straight to the top until I get satisfaction.

The resort is beautiful in itself, set in spectacular scenery no more than a 10 minute drive from Sintra (about 20 minutes north of Lisbon). It boasts a 27- hole golf complex (Robert Trent Jones- designed), a wonderful Six Senses Spa complex, an equestrian centre, squash and tennis courts, two wonderful pools (one outdoor, one indoor), a very well equipped gymnasium. I could carry on, however you can read up on all this yourself on the hotel's site. I will just focus on what the site will not tell you.

The level of service in this hotel is absolutely remarkable. The warmth of the welcome we received and indeed our every dealing with staff during our stay was truly exemplary and left us delighted. They made us feel special and went well beyond our expectations on every occasion. Some examples:

Children
Their care for young children is marvellous - they have a well-equiped games room and superb kids club and went out of their way to accommodate us at 21:00 when, unplanned, we asked if we could leave our 7- year old and have a quiet dinner. They took him and three other youngsters in our party and even prepared their meal in a flash. The hotel laid on a free mountain of chocolates and goodies for them in the foyer (Easter treat), two real bunny rabbits to play with in a room next to reception, and as we were checking out today, the porter even humored them by allowing them to ride atop the luggage trolly, making "vroom vroom" noises to make them laugh!! When their Treasure Hunt was cancelled due to a deluge this morning, they laid one on especially for our 4 youngsters upstairs! I witnessed not just great levels of patience, but genuine care and warmth for the children at all times. This means great recruitment - I'm not sure this amount of empathy can be trained or even nurtured.

The Madrid-Barcelona game
We turned up late to the bar, but the Concierge seeing us looking a bit bewildered, came over and greeted me by name (it was the day of our arrival and we hadn't met), asked us to feel absolutely at home, ensured the barman knew we wished to watch the game, created space in an already crowded bar and made sure we were set for food and drinks.

General
The lobby staff ensured we had maps and clear directions to wherever we wished to go. The doormen always greeted us with a smile and asked how we were enjoying our stay. The breakfast crew also greeted us with lovely smiles, brought our eggs over to avoid them getting cold every day.
I should mention the breakfasts at Penha Longa is divine - English breakfasts like my Dad made them, Champagne or Bloody Maries made for wonderful consolation on the rainy mornings. Tropical fruit was wonderful, Nespresso machines, smoked salmon bagels....everything you could wish for.

Our room (standard) was fabulous. Large, bright, well-appointed, wonderful king bed (as you'd expect). Great spacious bathroom and lovely balcony. Nespresso machine with plentiful capsules and huge supplies of free mineral water was a lovely touch.

The wireless Internet access isn't free, but it is reliable and truly high-speed.

As we were leaving today, two different members of staff begged me to leave my feedback and points for improvement, however small. They asked us to come back again for some better weather and to spend more time relaxing.

There was nothing I could think of at the time, but I do now remember that one of the squash courts looked like it needed a new coat of paint! That's it!

I'm also sure you're thinking that I must be some celebrity, big shot or Marriott Platinum Elite customer to have been so well pampered. However I am none of these. This was my first ever stay at a Ritz Carlton resort and my first year of experiencing Marriott. The quality of service across their hotels and the quality of my sleep in their beds means I have recently started seeking them out whenever I do business travel, but this was our first ever leisure stay. My wife is not usually superlative about anything, but this stay really did impress her and she has already said she wishes to return. The friends we made at the hotel will be too.

I'm sure you've got the gist of this review- Penha Longa is simply a must-stay resort (especially if you have kids) and I'm sure it will be a magnificent and unforgettable experience for you also.

If you work for Penha Longa, Ritz Carlton or Marriott and are reading this - we offer you our heartiest congratulations and thanks for a truly great experience. Thank you for a wonderful and stress-free break.

Room Tip: Book direct with Marriott / Ritz Carlton
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I got married in the palace at Penha Longa in 2008 and I have stayed there several times since. All of the rooms and suites that I have stayed in have been exceptionally clean and well-kept with super-comfortable beds; even the base rate rooms are called "Deluxe" and there is good reason for this!

The hotel is really true to the photos on the website and you will not be disappointed if you stay there! Other reviewers have correctly pointed out that Penha Longa is a little far from attractions and towns and you would therefore be best off with a car, but personally, I like the fact that the hotel is slightly secluded since I go there to relax and tend not to leave the resort unless I have to! Also, it is true that internet is chargeable ( I've never paid for it so I can't comment on the speed) which I guess would be a problem if I had needed to work, but again, relaxation is the name of the game when I'm at Penha Longa so a few days 'offline' can be a good thing :-)

I'll start with the Premium Room: I've seen a normal Deluxe room and I have to say that the price difference between a normal room and a Premium Room is definitely worth it; the Premium is split-floor with a 'separate' living room and then a balcony as well so it feels a lot more spacious.

Next, the Executive Suite, which also has a living room and an office; lovely big windows, huge bathroom and an enormous closet/wardrobe. It was the perfect place to spend the weekend when I was a bride :-) The only thing I would say is that it's a shame that coffees are chargeable; I didn't see the (tiny) sign and I was a bit surprised to see them on my bill; they were pretty expensive, about €4 each I think...! I think that if a suite comes with a machine like that, it should usually be complimentary but never mind.

During my most recent visit, I was lucky enough to stay in the Presidential Suite, which was extremely spacious (you could almost get lost in there) with a large foyer, great light and stunning views: we could see the palace from the bedroom and the living room and the golf course from the dining room. This suite also had a kitchen, which looked well-appointed but I have to confess that we never used it(!) There were delicious free cookies in there though! Again, coffees are chargeable...

We also visited the spa and had a "Sense of Romance" massage which was *amazing* and the outdoor jacuzzi in the grounds of the spa is also superb- absolute bliss. There were also free Tai Chi lessons taking place but unfortunately our (already late) check-out time ws fast-approaching!.

The restaurants are also excellent; I'm not a huge sushi fan but I was converted after sampling Midori! The breakfast at Assa Massa is delicious and fresh and the wating staff are so friendly, which is a geat way to start the day! For a special occassion, I definitely recommend dinner in one of Assa Massa's private dining rooms; we received absolutely superb service. Arola is also in the grounds of the hotel, but you need to leave the main building to get to it, unlike the previous 2 restaurants, and be warned that it does get windy and night in all seasons at Penha Longa! The food there was delicious and the service was also good.

Overall, the staff at Penha Longa, from Directors and Managers to Housekeeping are extremely helpful and nothing is too much trouble. If they know that you are celebrating a special occassion, you can be sure that they will do their best to make it extra memorable!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Penha Longa Resort? Share your experiences!