“special sunday lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Halstead, United Kingdom
“special sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We almost missed out by eating at another Pub.We were greeted at the bar by a happy smiling bunch of girls. The bar had 2 large plates of sausages for nibbles.History of Sunday lunch out has in the past been disapointing for us poor meat soggy veg;Do not expect that here the Best Roast Beef I have had for a long time,crispy roast potatoes and proper fresh veg and horseradish sauce to blow your head off!. not cheap at £13.95 but worth every penny as cooked and presented perfectly.If you want a 1st class Sunday lunch this is it, unpretentus good honest food in a Pub full of ambiance in the middle of nowhere yet it full well worth finding. I wish it was my local.Look forward to the next visit.

• Visited May 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Game On At The Queens Head”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

First find Hawkedon, after that finding the Queens Head was easy. It was a bitterly cold Sunday in February yet, in this forgotten area of Suffolk, the road was packed with cars and the car park was filled with a wonderful collection of vintage cars. Having fought our way into this popular pub we managed to reach the bar and order some drinks. Yes, you do need to book in advance if you want to eat. The cold soon wore off as the heat from a blazing log fire permeated the bar. We were invited to go to our table in the back of the inn, separated from the crowded bar area. If you like Game, then this is the place for you. There was an excellent selection of game on the menu as well as a specials board. We all ordered different dishes and, even though it was difficult as the portions were generous, we cleared our plates. The desert menu was also full of delicious dishes. Finding this hidden gem was one of the few times I had cause to applauded my Sat-Nav.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Unfortunate evening”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had high hopes following numerous recommendations but unfortunately our experience as a table of 8 was ruined due to a handful of problems which no doubt were very out of character. This didn't change the fact that for us - our annual business meal out was a wash out. I can't even comment on the food as I left without being able to eat a meal due to my steak having to be returned to the kitchen but still coming back under cooked significantly. I had hoped for a good response from the Management but I had to make a phone call 2 days later just to be told that I wasn't actually going to get a phone call due to the staff feeling I was rude to them on the night. I must say, I do tend to speak my mind and can come across as quite outspoken that is a shame that this is interpreted as 'rude'. I was understandably upset by the list of problems we encountered which I would say very much ruined our evening out. I wouldn't return for fear of being unlucky for a 2nd time round.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Great Country Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

One of the few country pubs that really comines well being a good drinking pub AND a good food pub. The food is always excellent, the real ales and guest beers good and a teriffic atmoshpere. Lucky to have it so close.

• Visited January 2013
Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Super Pub/Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We called in here a couple of weeks ago and ordered a couple of rounds of sandwiches with our beer,they were fabulous. The Granary bread was really fresh and cut by hand and the beef in them was 'heaven' masses of it , rare, and tasty,along with strong horseradish. So yesterday we decided to try their Sunday lunch and once again it was really really good, Very well cooked veg. a jug of gravy and again delicious beef. A bottle of water was put on the table without having to ask!
The pub itself which is heavily beamed has an open fire which makes it feel friendly as does the staff.
We will be back very soon.

• Visited January 2013