“Website full of lies! Owner grumpy and rude!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Roca Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Las Penitas
Playa Roca Beach Hotel
You added Playa Roca Beach Hotel to your Saves list
1 Playa Roca, Las Penitas 91701, Nicaragua   |
Granada, Nicaragua
“Website full of lies! Owner grumpy and rude!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We booked a night here expecting a room with a king sized bed and an ocean view - we confirmed this via their website: http://www.playaroca.com/rates/rates.html (see screenshot here) and by talking to the owner on the phone before we arrived. When we got there, we were shown to a room with a double bed and two bunk beds. When we asked about the king sized beds, both the "front desk" staff and the owner looked at us like we were crazy (the owner was downright rude). The "ocean view" by the way was looking through the bar, so not much of a view, I might add. They switched us to another room to get away from the bar noise, but the bed was the same size. We were not refunded the extra money we paid for the larger bed or the ocean view.

The bathrooms were filthy and worn down - chipped tile and concrete, rust, etc. We were afraid to take off our sandals. The sink in the room was impossible to turn off all of the way without shutting the main water intake for the room.

The moral: if all you want is a place to sleep and you don't care about the quality, cleanliness, or the size of the bed, this is the place for you. But don't believe anything the website says and be prepared to be annoyed with the staff when trying to address concerns.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

We came in with a larger group. All of our rooms were clean and ready to go. My husband and I stayed in the corner ocean view room and loved it. The food was really good and they made a special order salad for me one night as we watched football in a great open air area. We enjoyed everything about our stay and would go again in a heartbeat! Thank you!

• Stayed January 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

This was the second most expensive place we stayed on our trip...but was the worst! I couldn't sleep for all the cockroaches in the room and rats in the thatched building scurrying around above our room! The room was very worn, the matress ridiculously thin. The sheets stained...but to be fair they looked clean. I couldn't bring myself to have a shower there- it looked like one you might find in a prison. We travelled thought Nicaragua for a month on a budget of 15-40 dollars per night and never came across such a neglected and worn hotel. It needs a makeover desperately! The location is fab for sunset and the thatched restaurant looks nice but it was pretty dead and the food we had there was the worst on our trip..pretty cold and not great- to be fair we did have some pretty amazing meals in Nicaragua so it had a lot to live up to! In all I would not want to stay here again if you paid me. I was relieved to wake up the next morning and get the he'll out of there! La penitas itself is lovely- just for the dramatic sunsets and surf alone I'd recommend it to anyone in leon for a few days

• Stayed January 2011
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

The only particular that is positive about this hotel is the location... Other than that it is pretty terrible. Here's my list:
- Sagging beds that have bed bugs. I have pictures of my legs and hands to prove the bites.
- Promised "Ocean front villa" which was a room facing the beach area, but only if you look beyond the people seated in front of you.
- Only place in Nicaragua that charged for WIFI... other hostels didn't elsewhere in the country. Given this may be the case for the beach town, but still get with the times people.
- Overpriced. We moved to another hotel that was cleaner, better beds (NO BED BUGS!), and cheaper! Still beachfront too! Room was larger than what we got at Playa Roca and the people were friendly. Who would've thought!
- Food was just okay. Better food elsewhere on the beach.

The icing on the cake was when asked about certain things in regards to our stay, the owner responds with "No! Welcome to Nicaragua!" Nowhere else in this country were the people rude, not even a little bit. This guy american owner is trying to squeeze out every penny at this place, which is understandable... but at least have some customer service skills and don't mislead people about the property and amenities.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

A couple of friends and I traveled to playa roca to spend the day at the beach, eat lunch, and what not. We had done this before, as we´re currently working on a service learning project in the small town of El Sauce. Playa roca is in a great location, and its a nice restaurant, but the psychotic owner leaves a lot to be desired. His wife is a kind hearted woman with a lot of charm and hospitality, but after his wife left for the day the owner went postal. After using one of the hotel´s lounge chairs on the beach for 2.5 hrs I was approached by one of the employees and told that they didn´t allow for the chairs to be taken off the patio area. I apologized and thought the problem was solved. Not 2 minutes later the owner came charging down the beach, screaming and ordering that we remove ourselves and our bags from the property before he threw them to the curb. He continued to scream at us all the way back from the beach to the hotel, cursing his head off. Never have I experienced such a lack of hospitality and respect over such a simple issue- the fact that I had used a LOUNGE CHAIR on the beach, not 50 ft from the patio. Not to mention that nobody had told me otherwise for over two hours, and there are no signs that indicate that such actions are prohibited. He also claimed that we weren´t buying anything which just wasn´t true. I had already purchased a drink from the bar area, and we were planning to order lunch, but it was only noon at that point. So I suggest that people stay far away from this place if they want to enjoy a laid back environment. The male owner is the epitomy of disrespect and poor hospitality. I suggest he get his facts straight and begin managing his "hotel" properly before he angrily kicks people off of his "property". Quite frankly, I´m embarassed that he´s an American citizen.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
leon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

playa roca its a nice place where u can rest is a beauttyfull place they only need more employeds who speaks english............

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

This is not so much a review but a rebuttal to the rather misleading review listed on this site. I stayed at Playa Roca for three months this year and had Wi-Fi in my room 90% or the time on my laptop. The PCs were often down because of the salt spray and power surges but they were continually repaired and cleaned. As for the condition of the rooms, They changed the bedding on request with excellent material and had full time maids cleaning all day. The mattress are foam and don't have springs, mine was just fine. The bathrooms were being repared, tiled and painted while I was last there because of the hurricane damage, they were always clean. Some of the less expensive rooms only had one window but fans were available. The dorms often had two fans going on warmer nights. I turned my fan off most night as it got too cold. This hotel has a strong wind coming through and is normally quite fresh. At dusk the wind changes and loses velocity for a short time. As for the food being Ok but expensive I can only say; if you want to eat in the lagoon, on the road or at a fisherman shack, you can eat cheaper but right on the best beach with the ocean view, costs a little more. I ate most of my meals there and the menu was considerable, my favorite was the huge home made hamburger and fries, the best in Nicaragua. The American couple that own the place, go out of their way to make people feel at home, often cooking American style specials like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I am a sailor and have spent a lot of years sailing around the Caribbean and Central America and for a hotel on a remote beach it has everything you could want. The people that frequent Playa Roca tend to be student groups, peace corp workers, aid workers, volunteers, expatriates, surfers and affluent Nicas. I will spend more time there next year.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Roca Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!