I bought an Amazon Local deal for 2 nights at the Dog Inn in April having looked at Trip Advisor reviews first. I really hoped that the more recent poor reviews would prove wrong but I'm afraid they didn't. Our room, No. 5 was tiny, with the bed pushed against one wall, the only other furnituure being 2 small chests of drawers plus a hanging rail in what must have been a fireplace. The shower room was also small but adequate thought the door, which opened outwards into the bedroom could not be shut from the inside. There was a lot of traffic noise. Breakfast the first morning was OK. Shortly before we went out for the day there was a knock on the bedroom room and a young lady asked if we'd like anything done to our room. The answer was obviously clean it properly but we just mentioned making the bed and changing the towels - and that was all she did! Didn't empty the waste paper basket, didn't replenish the tea bags. We're not even sure we got clean towels - there were towels rolled up on the bed that evening but we discovered they were damp so may well have been the old one's recyled.
The restaurant menu shown on the internet looked interesting if not cheap so we booked dinner on the second night. What we were offered bore absolutely no resemblence. The food was perfectly edible but showed no finesse. Bread and olives were featured on the menu with no price and we assumed these were complimentary. Not the case - they were actually £3 & the waiter/barman had no idea they weren't priced. It didn't really matter as the two other couples who were dining and did request them never got them either - the waitress "forgot".
Someone really needs to get a grip on The Dog Inn. At the moment it appears to be run by teenagers with too much time on their hands as there are so few customers. The same sort of comments seem to apply to the sister establishment, The Blazing Donkey in Sandwich. We won't be going their either, even at the very reduced price offered by Amazon Local.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Dog Inn at Wingham is a grade II star listed medieval property occupying a prominent position opposite the church in the picture postcard village of Wingham, just outside Canterbury. The inn boasts 8 en-suite rooms with flat screen TVs. The rooms are full of character with original features. The hotel's restaurant is multi award winning and the property itself has recently benefited from a stunning restoration both outside and in. Perfect retreat for food and wine lovers. Private parking is available to guests on site and is complimentary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your The Dog Inn at Wingham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Dog Inn At Wingham Hotel Wingham
- The Dog Inn At Wingham Kent