“what a great day out” 5 of 5 stars

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“what a great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

this is a well run family animal park
it has a cafe and huge wooden play area, it was reallynice to see so many animals well kept with loads of space
really enjoyed mu play wqith the lemmas can feed gthem too
beautiful day out and for a picnic.
free ample parking

Visited June 2013

Whitstable, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Great day out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I recently visited midweek along with my wife. This was our 1st visit and we had a wonderful day. All the staff were wecoming and helpful. We will certainly be back!

“An excellent day out and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I took my 4 children today (16, 14, 7 and 5) and we all had a good time with lots to see and do. The keepers were very approachable and friendly too.

Wingham W, Public Relations Manager at Wingham Wildlife Park, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Bluescoobie,

Thank you very much for the review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed the park. We encourage our keepers to answer all the questions which the visitors may have and due to this have set up many keeper talks throughout the day to give them time to do so.

We hope to see you return in the future to enjoy all the improvements we have yet to make.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Rainy Day Activity”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

As a family we are pass holders and live locally, we frequent the park regularly. We have a choice of Howletts and Port Lympne but settled on Wingham when our Howletts pass expired because with the winter months approaching; the soft play area is fantastic for both my 4yr old and its suitable for my 9 month old too. The area is well thought out and I can recommend it.

Sadly the attitude of the reception/restaurant staff really disappoints me every time we go. They don't engage, are surly and bordering on arrogant.

Today is just such as example of the customer service leaving me cold; me and a friend visited with our babies, for the soft play. It wasn't busy with plenty of spare space.

At lunchtime, we were feeding our babies in the high chairs and I had just taken a bite from my own lunch, when a male member of staff approached and said I was only to eat food purchased in the restaurant. I said I was aware of this, but considering that it was now torrential rain outside and that there isn't an outdoor area that is undercover to feed children I thought it might be OK. Sadly this wasn't the case.

Ten minutes later I was shouted at across the restaurant by a different member of staff who informed me I wasn't allowed to eat my own lunch in the restaurant
Yes Ive already been told
Your roll is still on the table
I haven't eaten any more, I just haven't put it away
Well it does say so on the door
Im just feeding my baby at the moment - I'll put it away in a minute, Its raining outside and there is no undercover area so I thought it might be ok.
No it isn't, you can complain if you want to

On the way out I tried to complain

Excuse me could I speak to the duty manager please
there isn't one
can i speak to the manager then
its privately run by a family we haven't got one
You haven't got a manager?! Can I speak to the person in charge then
Can I have a complaint form please
we don't have them
Can I have the email address please
Can you give me a name so it gets to the correct person
Why not
Because the owner lives and works here and he doesn't see why he should come and confront customers, I'll take a message
But its not a message its a complaint.
You'll have to email the general address.

This is, as far as customer service and complaints procedure go, the worst I have ever experienced and most certainly not the right way to go about acknowledging my complaint and dealing with it.

I feel its also worth mentioning that the keepers were having their packed lunches in the public area; which is absolutely understandable on a rainy day and I have no comment about that, except to say, what's the difference between them having their lunch in the dry and me, a paying visitor.

Last winter, on a visit to Howletts, it was a particularly cold day and we were welcomed into the café, picnic too! In fact we were asked if there was anything we'd like and to come and sit nearer the heater.

People have a choice and in this competitive market its the little things that will make the difference. Staff also do not know who they are speaking to, so an assumed attitude of politeness,interest and empathy should be in evidence. It is simply not good enough to talk to visitors in any other way, especially when times are financially hard and they choose to have a day out, and their choice is Wingham Wildlife Park. Visitors might think twice next time and tell their friends and families to do the same.

The new visitors greeting area and gift shop aren't going to pay for themselves if the fundamental handling of customers can't be achieved in a manner to be proud of, there is a lot of work to do on that score. Why are you getting it so wrong, it spoils the whole experience?!

So having googled the owners name, I'll do as I was so ungraciously directed to do and write an email. Perhaps if the customer service was something special, the owner would feel proud to put their name to the park!

Visited October 2013
Dear Louise M,

Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that both of your children are able to enjoy the park, and in particular the indoor play area.

We appreciate our season ticket holders and it sounds as if you get some use out of the passes which are a great investment, especially with younger children who have access to a play area even in bad weather. However being a season ticket holder I noted that you mentioned that you were aware that eating your own packed lunch was not allowed in the area but proceeded to do so anyway.

We have this rule in place for a number of reasons which includes having limited space for people who wish to purchase food at the park (especially during wet weather), and also the amount of time which it takes in the indoor play area to keep on top of the rubbish left from packed lunches. The food available in the park limits the amount of waste and refuse which is left. Packed lunches often leave a wide range of wrappers and food items which are sadly often dispersed in the area.

While I am sorry to hear that you did not get a name of the most suitable person to deal with your complaint on the day I had not received an email regarding this complaint. The owners of the park have done a lot of work over the past 5 and a half years and as such are and should be proud to put their name to the business, and I feel that there may have been a misunderstanding at this junction. However I am glad that the indoor play area has cctv in operation so that I was able to further investigate the conduct of the staff.

After speaking to the second member of staff you mentioned it was clear that this accusation deeply upset her and can see that she came to you and asked you politely to pack your lunch away to ensure that no one else thinks you have been allowed to eat your lunch. I can see that she did not shout across the restaurant and I will not be taking any action against these members of staff who were extremely courteous in the way in which they upheld the rules which we have set for this area.

We agree that our staff should be courteous to our visitors as you have stated and from what I can tell this is something which we witnessed, however it is unfair to think that the same should not be reciprocated by visitors such as yourself. If you were aware that you were not allowed to eat in the play area, simply not doing so or at least having the courtesy to ask could have stopped this problem from ever arising.

I would also like to state that we do still have an under cover picnic area at the reception end of the park and that a number of buildings (including the education centre which has plenty of seating) are open all day while the park is.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“wingham wildlife park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

fantastic day out. Layout of the park is well planned and lots of animals to see. The staff are very friendly and loved the experience of the keeper feeding the tigers. The animals are clearly well looked after. CONGRATULATIONS ......

Visited October 2013
Dear Jackie270,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit to the park. Our Tigers are fed at 2:30 every day and it is great to hear that you were able to enjoy this feed time during your visit. There are a number of such talks throughout the day so I recommend coming early if you want to fit them all in!

Hopefully we will see you again soon as we still have a lot of changes and new additions to make.