“Spacious hotel, superb quality service and in great location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Anthelia

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Anthelia to your Saves list
Iberostar Anthelia
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Londres 15, 38660 Playa de Fanabe, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Playa de Fanabe
Coventry, West Midlands, UK
“Spacious hotel, superb quality service and in great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We enjoyed a great stay at this hotel with sea view room and reasonable balcony. Very quiet hotel despite high numbers of visitors. Food quality was excellent with tremendous variety of courses every night. Chefs obviously top of their game who were always willing to personalize your meal. Never a problem getting a table at the peak time of eight o'clock unless you wanted to sit outside with the smokers. The staff were always attentive and very pleasant.
No problems getting a sunbed around one of the three very clean pools with the pool attendant always willing to help move umbrellas etc. Excellent service from the beach bar with large selection of drinks and snacks.
Evening entertainment very predictable with average tribute bands including ABBA and Beatles..
In short we loved the place and will visit again...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ClubhouseTenerife, Director General at Iberostar Anthelia, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time taken writing about your stay in Iberostar Anthelia.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your comments about our cuisine and our staff service, we also think both are our strengths and we will continue working to improve.

It is a pleasure to read your comments coming from a seasoned traveller and a good writer in the Tripadvisor website.

Please do not hesitate to contact me during your next stay. I am really looking forward to meeting you and greeting you personally.

Kindest Regards,

1,077 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Greek first
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here for a week at the end of August. This is a lovely hotel but a few things let it down.
Reception - although they dealt quickly with our telephone queries to empty the minbar, face to face they could be somewhat abrupt.
The rooms - they are a little 'tired' and bathrooms could definately do with some updating. However they are spacious, beds incredibly comfortable (and big), flat screen TV (with CBeebies) and plenty of space for another bed for our daughter. The balcony was of a good side - perfect for relaxing on while our daughter slept.
The pools are lovely, service great, clean towels at any time. However there are a few tiles missing in one of the pools and our daughter cut her foot (very minor) - she was excellently looked after, I just hope the pool is serviced soon. Easy access out of the hotel to the beaches - the better beach being 5 minutes turning right outside and along the promenade.
Breakfast was lovely - wide range of foods, plenty of fresh fruit and the choice quite remarkable.
We chose B&B as we like to get out of the hotel and there are plenty of restaurants within 5 minutes walk - of varying price but all with excellent service.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful - even though it was full it never felt 'busy'.
All in all this is a great hotel for families, would we come again - yes next year - but we hope the rooms will have the 'updating' that the hotel seems to be advising is being done.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

We are delighted to know that your family and you enjoyed your stay with us.

We agree our location is great if you are planning to stay in Costa Adeje. Thank you for comments about our service which is our main priority.

As you could see during your stay, we are presently refurbishing all the bathrooms in the hotel. We are also improving our pool facilities.

I hope you will be able to enjoy all improvements in occasion of a future visit. Do not hesitate to contact me in case of a future visit. I will be a pleasure to meet you personally.

Best Regards,

Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My friend and I were lucky enough to stay at this hotel at the beginning of September. We had booked into a 4 star hotel which was overbooked and were sent instead to the Iberostar Anthelia Park. I have read a lot of the reviews about this hotel and I can honestly say it sounds as though some complaining travellers were staying in a different hotel to us! Some people obviously don't like foreign food, so why go abroad then?
Everything about the Anthelia was fantastic - nice reception greeting with a drink, lovely big room in Aida, with a large patio and partial sea view, comfortable beds, nice bathroom with masses of toiletries, hair drier, tissues, bath robes, slippers, free safe and fridge, and clean towels every day. Plus a complimentary bag of mini hazlenut meringues and a flat screen TV! The room was always very well cleaned and we had no problems with ants, despite being on the ground floor.
The grounds and gardens are beautiful, the 3 pools are lovely, with loads of sun loungers, clean swimming towels every day and helpful pool staff. In fact all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel public areas (including all the toilets) all smelt delightful as though perfume had been added to the fountains or air conditioning.The location is excellent, set on a headland - just 5 minutes walk through the grounds to the sea front promenade, restaurants and shops, and a pleasant beach - with a stunning backdrop of mountains.
The main reason we loved this place was the amazing food - we enjoyed everything we ate, and we ate mostly everything! Excellent choices for breakfast for all tastes, but the evening meals were the best - tasty soups, a huge array of mouthwatering starters, great range of main courses, many cooked freshly before you to order, then a delicious selection of deserts, with cheese to finish if you still had room, with different food themed evenings. We were in seafood heaven! Everything was so fresh and beautifully presented, it was a pleasure to eat there, but our waistlines suffered as a result! The restaurant manager was so nice and welcoming every day and evening, and the staff very efficient and friendly. There was so much choice even the most fussy eaters would find plenty on offer. The evening entertainment i the Anthrlia Mall was extremely good and varied.
If you want to get around, try using the buses, don't bother with taxis.
I consider this to be an excellent 5 star hotel and we would love to return to the Anthelia Park one day if I can afford it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for the time taken to write this detailed and nice feedback about us on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your facilities and services so much. We will pass on your comments to our team. They will be delighted to read them. I am sure they will help us to keep and even improve our commitment to guest service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are planning to visit us again.

Kindest Regards,

Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My family and I have just returned from our fourth stay at Grand Hotel Anthelia .It was a fabulous stay as always .Staff ....everyone from the managers.,waiters in the restaurants and bars and the room staff were excellent Always courteous and polite ,nothing was too much trouble.
The choice of dishes available on the buffet was amazing.,huge selection of fresh salads,pasta bar,seafood and fish freshly cooked to order and a roast joint every evening.,an array of dessert and cheese....What more could you want..?We were even served sp wine with breakfast .I would not hesitate to go back to stay here.I have stayed in many hotels around the world and this is as good as any. Robinson Megaw family

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guests:

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write this beautiful comment at the Tripadvisor website.

We are delighted to read this kind of comments especially when they came from such an experienced traveller.

We will pass them on to our team which will surely be delighted to read. I am specially proud of our staff while reading your comments about our service.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me in case of a future visit. I will be a great pleasure to meet you personally.

Yours faithfully,

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

The Iberostar Anthelia is a fairly decent family hotel. It advertises itself as 5 star, but is a 4 star at best and is in the need of some restoration. That said, it is good value for money if you book through through one of the many discount websites out there (like alfa rooms or low cost holidays), and if you want real 5 star you'll need to pay at least 2-3 times as much to get it in Costa Adeje in any case (for example the wonderful Bahia Del Duque, very close by).

The hotel had a pretty good selection of pools to choose from, none too crowded and all fairly easy to find loungers by. That said they were all getting a little tired and could probably do with some minor work to repair missing tiles etc. We were also there just off season and I expect that at peak occupancy things could get a little less comfortable. And even when we were there, the usual suspects (i.e. selfish groups of germans and brits) were trying to hog the best loungers by putting towels down first thing before going to breakfast.

The hotel was very child friendly on the whole. Kids club and mini disco were good (with the latter being a big hit with our two under 5's). Most of the staff treated the kids well and were generally quite pleasant (with a few exceptions). We had a pair of joining rooms in the Carmen block, which worked really well. Someone in an earlier review mentioned that the beds were hard as rock... well I guess we were lucky, because all of our beds were fantastic (and we're pretty fussy about that sort of thing). I guess the room standards must vary a lot depending on which block you end up in.

The breakfast and dinner buffets were generally good, considering the expectations we had after seeing the hotel and the rooms. Best options always seemed to be at the show cooking areas, where eggs and omlettes were cooked to order in the morning, and steaks and fish cooked to order in the evenings. The other dishes were definitely of a lower standard and tended to vary quite a bit in quality.

It was also annoyingly difficult to get a table in the outside terrace area... and the covered outside area was pretty much a no go area unless you were happy sitting in an atmosphere of heavy smoke. What was particularly annoying was that the hotel seemed to happily let couples take up the tables set for four outside when there were still plenty of smaller tables for two available. I guess they'd rather have all the families crammed inside, which wasn't a particularly nice place to be eating... so we just kept loitering outside, waiting for one of the miserable german couples to slope off the table they were hogging and go be miserable somewhere else.

The only other negative things I'd mention would be the fairly indifferent and unhelpful staff in reception, the numerous number of rather grumpy german guests (see above) - I've never seen people seem so unhappy to be on holiday! - and the fairly awkward way that guests leaving for late flights were expected to run around the hotel to a room only specified at the last minute for a tiny amount of time to shower and dress before leaving for the airport (not very professional).

The location was good though, with Fanabe beach just outside the hotel grounds and the lovely Playa Del Duque a short 5 minute walk away. Was fairly easy to manage with two small children, even without a buggy.

I'd say half board is the best option, as full board is significantly more expensive and I don't think the money saved on free drinks and snacks would really add up enough unless you ate lunch in the hotel every day... and that's not a very appealing option, given the very limited choices at that time of day. We only had lunch at the hotel once and it was fairly unremarkable.

Overall we had a very nice stay at the Iberostar Anthelia though and the kids really enjoyed it... even if we don't feel the urge to rush back there again.

Room Tip: If you're a family, the joining rooms in the Carmen block are very good, with excellent beds.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
ClubhouseTenerife, Director General at Iberostar Anthelia, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel.

All our department managers have been informed about your comments. I also would like to inform you that we are working on improvements continuously.

Above all we are delighted than you and your family have enjoyed your holidays in Anthelia.

Do not hesitate to contact me when you are planning to visit us again.

I am looking forward to your next visit and I hope that you will be able to check our improvements.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Galbán
Assistant Manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

bad bad bad,well what can i say,last year we stayed at the riu palace for the same price,which was definately 5 star,we booked through monach holidays and arrived at the hotel to find they had no reservation for us,ok monach s fault,we were put in aida block wich in my opinion was very poor and had many issues,for one ants in the room on the bed and in the bathroom,when i woke up in the morning i had killed a few in my sleep,bath robes were in tatters,air conditioning rubbish,my wife on the second night awake to find her face had swollen maybe due to an allergy to either the pillows or whatever the hotel had sprayed in the room for the cockroaches,as i had to put a glass on two of them on thursday night,the staff. ok some were good some were dam right ignorant, pool staff great,if this is iberostar id rather leave it,i will be writing a letter to iberostar head office and monach holidays,there are other points but i have had enough,i paid the same amount for the riu,i was not happy with anthelia,they need to improve in a big way,martin p blidworth nottingham a written sorry underneath just does not wash it for me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ClubhouseTenerife, Director General at Iberostar Anthelia, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear guest,

Firstly, my most sincere apologise with respect to the problems of the cleaning of your room, a wholly unusual occurrence and completely out of step with our usual standards.

With no pretence of serving as an excuse for this situation, I simply wish to inform you that I have personally taken this situation in hand with our Housekeeper so this situation does not repeat itself, and at the same time inform you that, over the course of the rest of this year and the beginning of next year, we will be undertaking extensive reformations of the rooms and bathrooms throughout the hotel.

It would be a personal pleasure not only rectify the current situation, but also oversee personally your next reservation with us.

I would also like to thank you for sharing your observations with us as this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests better service, which ultimately is the goal of Iberostar.

Yours sincerely,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We decided to take a last minute break and for the first time ever headed for Tenerife.

We had no idea what to expect, wanted something mid-priced. I stay in a lot of 5* hotels around the world on business, and this hotel was ok compared to them; it's not going to beat the likes of Mandarin Oriental etc. but good regardless.

The main disappointment was the food. Poor to average, kind of what you would expect from a cheap conference hotel. A real shame, everything else was good.

Dear guest:

Thank you very much for writing your comments about Iberostar Anthelia.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It is particularly rewarding coming for such a traveller as you.

We will take note of your comment about the food, we take cuisine really seriously as it is one of our strengths according to our costumers opinion. We have a team of reputed Canarian chefs, among them two recent Best Canarian young chef’s and one Best Hotel Pastry chef of the Canary Islands. We will really make the effort to keep improving.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case of a future visit. I would really be a great pleasure to meet your personally.

Kindest regards,

Director

Been to Iberostar Anthelia? Share your experiences!