“Not recommended” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wellington
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed at Riga Residency with 2 other friends on 30 & 31 Dec, 2011. I had not even considered this hotel while planning my Coonoor trip. It so happened that while trying to book another hotel in Coonoor, the ClearTrip customer care executive suggested Riga Residency. Riga's room rent was falling within our budget and hence we decided to book the room.

We asked for a room with a good view and the lady at the recepton was kind enough to give us one. We had opted for a Deluxe room which had 2 Beds and we asked for 1 extra bed. The room had basic amenities like TV with Tata Sky, Geyser, adequate lighting etc.

The drawbacks were, not exactly in the oder of significance, the room was sort of damp and the wall paint was about to peel off the wall. I think this dampness contributed to a different kind of smell in the room. My friends differ with me on this, though.

The worst experience was with the room service. I am not sure if lack of staff was the primary reason, but every food order we placed took more than an hour to be attended to, even a cup of tea! We placed an order for a plate of bread toast and eggs and the staff did not deliver even after 45 minutes. After about an hour, we called up the room service to find out the reason/to remind, only to be informed that they cannot deliver the items.

Also, noticed that most of the room service boys from Bengal. They need training on how to have conversation with the guests. The room boy who delievered our food after a long delay spoke as if the delay was because of our fault. Not at all courteous.

In my opinion, this place is not at all recommended for people who are looking for a pleasure trip to Coonoor.

Whatever I have mentioned is my experience and true as of 31st Dec, 2011. I did give the receptionist my feedback verbally while checking out. However, going by the receptionist's expression I am not at all hopeful about the issues being addressed by the management.

Room Tip: The hotel architecture is such that every room has a huge window towards the valley which gives a ve...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

First let me cover the good things of this hotel, it won't take long as there are relatively few of them. The hotel is located at a terrific vantage point and offers a great view of the nearby mountains and the scenic Wellington station, The hotel used to be a pretty big one for a place like Conoor I suppose as the rooms are big, well ventilated and nicely furnished. Although I won't say the hotel was the cleanest I have seen, I would definitely give it a 8 on 10 in cleanliness. I liked the food they serve in the restaurant downstairs. It was hot, tasty and not hard on our stomach.
Now the bad. Well, anything else about the hotel is bad. I had reserved a room in the hotel online. I had also informed them of a late check in, which wasn't necessary since we had paid well in advance. When we arrived in the evening, the the receptionist said that they were out of rooms and said they would try to fit us in somehow. After a few minutes, they said that they had some double bed rooms. Meanwhile another reception guy claimed that someone was already staying in one of the rooms under my name, that was used for reservation. It was chaos and utter lunacy. Finally after one hour we got our rooms. The whole hotel is terribly understaffed and so do not expect any room service; definitely not on time. The view might be great from the fourth (american fifth) floor but remember that the lift probably won't work. The TV doesn't work either as the cable subscription is over.
In short, this is the shadow of a once big hotel. But I would definitely add that in spite off an evident manpower shortage the kitchen staff did their best to meet the demands of so many customers,

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floors facing the Wellinn
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Riga Residency . The breath taking view of the blue mountains ,
The songs of the birds in the morning all adds to the unique features of Riga Residency.
The Good Food and the cosy bar with its quite and friendly staff and the excellent service
.It was a real treat and a home away from Home .
I would defiantly recommend this to all my Canadian Friends back home .
after being in -40 .The Riga Residency is a reals Gods Blessing and treat for my family
I will defiantly come again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

It was november 2009 when i vesit to Riga Residency that time i was not that much comfortable but i went back to the same place because of there ambience but after reaching there i feel i came to right place. I Realy feel excellent and comfortable to stay there in Riga Residency specialy with there service and quality of food. we have been visit to soo many places but i didnt saw the staff like Riga,all of them was new to that place but they have kind of idea to make happy to others ....i can say only thing i will come back soon to your place riga..........

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
GGN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

just dont go to this place. it is absolutely filthy and to top it all the prices are like a four star hotel. the service is bad.. the reception looks like a scene out of a horror show . they have a tendency to deliver your room service orders to other rooms. food quality is poor. ther is just nothing to recommend this

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I visited their website and made the mistake of believing what they had written. I drove all the way from Bangalore to Ooty to have a good and peaceful time with my wife and 2 kids, but experiences at this hotel almost ruined my vacation.

- They have mentioned that they have serviced apartment, but at reception I came to know that they don't have any.
- I asked for a suite, but was informed that all suites were booked and hence I had to take a deluxe room. Later I understood from service boys that only 3 rooms out of 20 were occupied and clearly I don't believe that all suits were occupied. I guess they were not in usable form and hence unavailable.
- Lift is down for last 2 months and not repaired. I was given room on 2nd floor. You can imagine the pain, especially when you have a 1 year old kid with you.
- Staircase and other common area are dusty and not well maintained.
- Room was not clean at all and I had to call the reception to get it sweeped.
- No toiletries in the washroom.
- Although they have different dial in numbers for room service, reception, house keeping etc, no body picked up the call most of the time. Later I found that there is a staff shortage and may be they have only 1 person tending all the numbers....
- Rooms need serious refurbishing
- Odered milk for my daughter who is 1 year old. First time milk was served cold and when I sent it back, they served another flask. But this time you could smell that milk was burnt...
- Tea was tasteless
- Had dinner at their restaurant. Soup was bad. Gobi Muchuri tasted like indian 'bhajji'. The only thing that tasted good was 'phulka' and 'daal'.
- Next day had brakefast. at their restaurant Noticed that floor was not cleaned since last night. Spilled soup and 'phulka' was previous dinner were still on the ground.
- Ordered 3 plates of idli. They were okay. But when we ordered 4th plate, answer was that they had run out of batter and they can't serve any more idlis.....

I brought up all these issues with the person at the reception and was told that shortage of staff was the reason. Well that's no excuse considering I was paying Rs.1800 + taxes per night. I think these are enough reasons to avoid this place in future.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
coimbatore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

This hotel does not have any extra curricular facilities, Do not expect Games,Fun etc.
The Rooms were Ok,Toilet was not maintained properly.The table cloths in restaurant was very dirty,The Location was good, If you are expectinga simple room peacefully located then you can choose this one.This is Ok for honeymooners but not good for others.Sightseeing is also far away from hotel.The food in restaurant was Ok compared to others but they take time to serve.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Riga Residency? Share your experiences!