“Ignore the negative reviews!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cabbana - An Ecotel Hotel

You added Hotel Cabbana - An Ecotel Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Cabbana - An Ecotel Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   NH-1 Jalandhar - Ludhiana Highway, Phagwara 144401, India   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Phagwara
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Ignore the negative reviews!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I went to India with my parents and came back last week after staying at the Cabbana for 11 nights. The staff were friendly and very helpful. We were given a warm welcome when we first arrived. The rooms were clean and spacious with no sign of mould anywhere! The restaurant had a wide range of dishes and the waiters did as much they could for you. I went to the beauty salon and recieved a great service from the staff there. Me and my mum fell ill for a couple of days and the room service we ordered was quick and just what we needed. The location of the hotel is in between Phagwara and Jalandar and was easy to drive to and from each city. I did find however that the wifi was weak but I did use the business centre a lot. The assistant manager especially was very friendly, helpful and did everything he could to make sure we were happy staying at the Hotel Cabbana. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

My colleagues and I from New Zealand stayed at the Hotel Cabbana in April 2011, as we were visiting LPU (Lovely Professional University) on business the following day. LPU is one of the largest universities in India, and Hotel Cabbana is only a 10 minute drive away. Otherwise it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, 30 minutes out of Jalandhar on the Jalandhar-Phagwara Highway. There is nothing around it, no shops, restaurants or other facilities, although for my short stay I enjoyed the fact that my bedroom windows looked out at wheat fields instead of buildings.
The Hotel Cabbana's marketing material state that this hotel is part of Hyatt Resorts Pvt Ltd, although I saw no mention of the Hyatt lineage within the hotel, nor can I find reference to the Cabbana on the Hyatt India website, which is unusual.
The Hotel definitely attempts to live up to its 5 star billing, although there were many instances when it felt rural and isolated. Staff are only basically trained, coffee in the restaurant took ages to serve, signage in the hotel is non existant, even things like the elevator stopping on the third floor, but the sign on the wall of the hall outside the elevator stating "Second floor"... go figure.
Rooms are spacious, and I saw nothing in the way of mould or deterioration in my room, in fact I thought the room very comfortable. All of my colleagues agreed that the beds were very comfortable, and the pillows luxurious. Fittings in the bedroom are very modern, with full glass picture windows between the ensuite bathroom and the bedroom. Toiletries were reasonably basic. Wifi internet in the room was free, although strangely username and passwords only lasted for one hour at a time, and reception desk had to resort to giving handfuls of wifi login details to get people through the evening. In my room the wifi signal was very weak so an IT support person came promptly when I complained, and installed a LAN cable to get a better broadband signal.
The gym in the hotel looked large, and the outdoor garden pool looked inviting.
I didn't drink in the bar, but had dinner and breakfast in the main restaurant. There were no weddings on while we were there (although I gather that conferences and weddings are the hotel's stock business) so we had the restaurant pretty much to ourselves. The dinner buffet was substantial and delicious, and the breakfast did include continental as well as cooked selections. It took forever to get a coffee however.
Apart from conferences and weddings, I am not sure who this hotel would appeal to, as it is half an hour away from Jalandhar. It did make a very convenient location for us visiting the nearby LPU campus however.
While the hotel had some definite quirky shortcomings, it was unexpectedly upmarket in comparison to the usual hotels in the area, and we all thought it very comfortable for a short stay.

Room Tip: If your free wifi is too slow, ask for a LAN cable
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Well, where do I begin with this particular hotel! firstly I will concentrate on the positives. We stayed at the Cabanna Orchid during Feburary 2011 for 1 week. our first impression, the hotel was great, very spacious and rooms beautifcally presented with good bathroom facilities. The only flaws I found in the bedrooms was that all the sockets were positioned very close to flat surfaces which meant we could not use a UK adaptor and plug for our appliances such as hair straighteners and mobile charges. The only socket available to fit a UK plug was the TV one, which was no good as it meant I could not use a mirror to straighten my hair whilst having the straighteners plugged in or the TV had to be switched off whilst we charged our mobiles. A small flaw but generally the rooms lived up to 5*. The hotel is also eco friendly which I am a great fan off, however the centrally controlled key pad unit situated beside the bed whcih controls the air con and lights in the room did become a little annoying after a while as the central switch at night switches off all the lights incluidng the bathroom ones so you have to constantly go back to the unit and reswitch it on as the lights dont automatically switch on when you press the light switches. Now onto the negatives which there are a few I am afraid. Firstly the weddings at the hotel. Between October and March, india's wedding season there is a wedding reception held at the hotel pretty much every other day. During our 7 day stay we had 3 weddings, the music was extremely loud and went on until 3am in the morning. If you are banking on a good nights rest and sleep, avoid this hotel altoghether. The complaints from guests also fell on deaf ears with the hotel staff avoiding the issue as best they can. Apparently wedding receptions is a huge income generator for the hotel at the expense of other paying guests. The other main disaapoint was that the location of the hotel which is strategically situated 5 kilometres from Phagwara town centre. There are no taxis, STDs or local shops in walking distance so you have to either use the hotel taxi, which costs R3000 for a day's hire or flag down a Auto off the main road, not really ideal but costs a mere R100 to get you into the town centre. The final part of my review and an important one was the restaurant and service. The food is not brilliant at this five star hotel and there was no continental breakfast available but instead curry based dishes in the morning. The waiters although very pleasant and always on hand to help, did nevertheless struggle to understand basic instructions and requests from us in English, like when I asked for a pot of boiling water for my tea bag it was brought luke warm and no milk or cup and saucer which i had to ask for. we asked for no chilli in our omlettes several times and they continued to add chillis much to our frustrations! The morning breakfast is a bit of a strange set up in that the tables have no napkins or cups and saucers for tea/coffee but wine glasses placed on them instead. The tea and coffee is made Indian style which doesnt taste pleasant at all, hence i used my own tea bags. If you plan to eat here at lunch or evenings be prepared to pay premium prices, the food is very expensive and an average meal with beer cost us around R2000 per seating, water is charged at more than a £1 per medium sized bottle with taxes and services, although there are 2 small complimentary bottles placed in the roooms each day. The food is very very rich to the point where it can be sickly as everything has butter and cream added to it and despite our requests not to add these items to the food, the waiters still did much to our dissapointment. So to sum up I have given this hotel a thee star rating as it didint quite measure up to our expectations in the restaurant services and in particular noise we had to put up with during the early hours.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I was attending a wedding for which a reservation was made and given the wrong room by reception. A suite had been booked but was given a standard room. Next day I was charged for a suite instead of the standard room I stayed in. The Manager Ashish Kaushal accepted not responsibility and basically said I was lying. Having a young family and needing to attend another function I had no option but to pay. Be very careful at this hotel they will rip you off given the opportunity and waste your time knowing you have to leave. No apology or compnwsatin offerred.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

This accomodation was from hell! The cleanliness in the bathroom was a disgrace, there were worms and centipedes mould and used toiletries. The guestroom doors didn't have hinges to prevent them from slamming and disturbing other guests. I was told by a member of staff during a buffet breakfast that I'd have to pay for orange juice, can you believe it? Out of courtesy the hotel management didn't have the sense to warn guests that the hotel holds weddings until early hours of the morning using applified music which caused disruption (2am). In the end I check out early for sanity. The staff only know two words sorry and thank you, but have no idea what they are sorry for. Their Taxi service is non existent so please do not use it! the hotel use an outside Taxi agency which are non reliable!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Midnapore, West Bengal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I am very glad to choose this hotel. The quality of service and room standard was so good. The staffs from reception desk to room service everyone were very friendly. I would recommend it for other travelers highly.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Fernhotels, Management at Hotel Cabbana - An Ecotel Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Thank you for your valuable feedback, we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our en devour is that all our guests to enjoy our hospitality. Were glad we had the opportunity to serve you and look forward to having you back again.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

This was the first time i had taken my family to India. We stayed for one night in Delhi but nothing compared to the Cabbana. The service from A -Z was EXCELLENT.
We were originally only going to stay for 7 nights but the kids loved it so much that we ended up staying 10!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
But it is not cheap.
So be warned!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Fernhotels, Management at Hotel Cabbana - An Ecotel Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you for your valuable comments, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. Your Feedback is a source of motivation to the team , we are glad that we had the opportunity to serve you. We will continue to make every effort to make your future stays even more memorable.

Been to Hotel Cabbana - An Ecotel Hotel? Share your experiences!