“Visited the observatory and have to keep going back!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Kielder
Type: Observatories/ Planetariums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: The Kielder Observatory is a centre for public outreach in the science of astronomy and physics. It serves to promote the universe to our guests, enabling people from all walks of life and levels of interest to access the visual splendour of the cosmos. With a superb array of telescopes and instrumentation to explore the depths of space. Expert tuition awaits the visitors who come along and take part in our featured events, sit in complete comfort in our classroom next to the log burning fire and let us take you on a tour of the universe.
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Visited the observatory and have to keep going back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We always enjoy going to the observatory regardless of the weather. so much so that we are going to get married there...

Visited October 2012

• Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Even the moon was brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went for the New Years Eve event, and really enjoyed it. I had never paid much attention to the stars, but I did find this evening interesting.
the clouds cleared and we looked at stars, a planet and the moon.
the talk was interesting to, I just never knew there was so much out there.
Wrap up warm , it is on the top of a hill, and it can be windy.

Great for all ages.

Visited December 2012
14 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked on the spur of the moment as we saw the attraction in a leaflet, the evening was something to remember and a great experience. You do need to wrap up warm!

Visited November 2012
Scotland
4 attraction reviews
“Educational and Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Had a great time at the kids event in October. Interesting, educational and fun, even for us adults.

Great hosts who took the time and trouble to show the kids the stars even in a slightly cloudy sky.

Recommended for children and adults alike

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“By Jove!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I've been meaning to visit Kielder Observatory since I first heard about it. Yesterday, Gary's tweets (@kielder_obs) reeled me in...

The first one pricked my ears: "Clear forecast tonight, places still available...lots of telescope time on Jupiter as it sits high and approaches opposition."

The second one grabbed me, hook line and sinker: "Ever saw the giant planet Jupiter and its retinue of moons, I mean saw it? Well if not GET HERE starts tonight at 8pm".

I couldn't resist, booked some tickets, hurried home and then made the journey with a couple of family members.

It was SO worth the drive!

On a beautifully clear night, we saw Jupiter along with four of its moons and observed one of them in transit, casting a shadow on the planet's surface.

Also, the moon as never seen before (well, by me anyway) and Orion's nebula to boot.

All interspersed with hot chocolate and great conversation — a world-class venue and experience that's not to be missed...

Visited November 2012