“For the friendliness and helpfulness of staff a superb stay” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winnersh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“For the friendliness and helpfulness of staff a superb stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

As usual whenever we stay here it is brill. Our reasons for staying lately haven't been the happiest but the staff have great empathy and thoughtfulness of a family run small hotel. They always recognise and welcome us and it is nice to see the same faces not a mass changeover of staff.
The beds could be more comfy but then again I'm quite fussy.
Nothing is ever too much trouble for anyone and how they keep their cool with very rude customers is above and beyond. They don't deserve it. X

• Stayed January 2013
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct10, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Valued Repeat Guest

Your appreciation of the efforts of our very special team are sincerely appreciated and highly motivational for them.

We are most grateful for your custom and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
East of England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My work has now moved me from Newcastle to Winnersh, just outside of Reading, and given that I travel by public transport to work, I needed a hotel which was reasonably near to my office location. The Holiday Inn was recommended as the hotel is on the door step of my offices, so I have been staying there for 3 days a week for the past month.

First of all, access via Public Transport is very easy. Trains run from Reading and London on a frequent basis, to Winnersh Triangle station, and the hotel is approximately 5 minutes walk from the station. The main route is to walk over the pedestrian bridge, but be warned, there are a lot of steps and its hard work. The other route probably takes a few minutes longer, but you avoid the bridge - so it's up to you.

There is pretty much nothing in the local area, except for a coffee shop and WH Smiths shops near the hotel. There is a cinema within 20mins walk, as is a Sainsbury's supermarket, but they cannot be termed "local" to the hotel. If you have a car, no problem, but when you are on foot, it's a bit of a pain!

The reception is a very standard hotel affair, with large reception desks, restaurant/bar off to the right of reception, and to the left the stairs and lifts. I found the reception staff to be very friendly,and my check in was very smooth and simple. I was provided a key card for access to the room, and given directions.

The lifts are modern in design, clean and well kept, except what I didn't realise on my first attempt to get to my room, was that you must use your room key card to activate the lift! As I didn't know this, the lift just sat there until I worked it out!!!! Other than that, the lifts were fast and quiet and they soon got me to my 4th floor room.

The key card worked first time in the lock to my room, which is always good, and has continued to be the case. Open the door, slot the key into the obligatory power slot, and the lights come on. In my (standard) room, there is a compact bathroom leading to a fairly spacious bedroom with double bed, wall mounted TV, small desk and a chair in the corner. The room also has a small fridge (which is empty, but that is handy for me if I buy food from the local supermarket and want to keep it cool), tea and coffee point, and a laptop compatible safe.

Decor is fresh, clean and modern and the bedding is of reasonable quality, as are the curtains and other furnishings. The desk, although a little small, does have two power sockets, an ethernet cable and a desk lamp. The hotel does have wifi, and I have used this occasionally, and it works fine (as it has from a number of different rooms). The rate I have for my room includes the wifi, but for 24 hours it costs approximately £10. As it seems to work reasonably well, I think that cost is not too high.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean, consisted of a low level WC, small hand sink, a surprisingly large bath (I am 6ft 3 and I can fit into the bath), with a wall mounted shower. Plenty of towels were available, and they generally were soft and clean (and not smelly like some hotels). A complimentary set of toiletries are provided, which were fine!

I am not a fan of a shower over a bath, since I took a heavy tumble in a bath when I was staying in a hotel in Blackpool, so I am now always wary of doing the same in similar setups. The bath is reasonably grippy, and there is a hand hold on the wall, which is good to see. The shower was reasonably powerful, but not overly, and the water was reasonably hot. Nothing terrible, nothing that will ruin your stay, but I have used better showers in the past.

Overall, the bathroom is of a good standard and didn't get steamed up, which is novel these days!!!

The bed was comfortable, and it was nice to see a selection of both soft and firm pillows. I had a reasonably night's sleep, and I have no complaints on the quality of the bed.

One small point and this may not cause any issue to you, but the room does purport to have airconditioning, but for me, the unit when set to it's lowest setting of 18 degrees, was just blowing warm air into the room. When I complained about this, I was told there was a fault with the system. The staff recommended opening the window vent in the room, which I did, and then to open the window and leave the bathroom door open. This I did and it made the room cooler, but at the expense of lots of noise from the street below, and a howling wind whistling through the room. This made it difficult to get a restful night's sleep. This is likely a non-issue for most people, but for me, who prefers a cold room, it is a problem.

Breakfast in the morning was in the main restaurant/bar area, and it consists of a number of dinning tables which are of a good height to sit at. Chairs are comfortable, and the facilities are generally of a high standard. The cooked breakfast was also of good quality.

I wish they had porridge on the menu though!

Check out was smooth and fast and the bill was provided!

All in all, this is a good comfortable and well maintained hotel. Yes, it's a bit corporate in feel, but then it is in an area that is mainly office worker based, but it's a reasonable hotel.

I recommend the hotel to anyone who needs to stay in the area!

Room Tip: Executive rooms are better appointed (but more expensive). Rooms facing the back of the hotel are q...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Long Stay Guest

We really appreciate your taking the time to provide such an extensive review on our hotel and in particular for recognising all the wonderful features and extras that we offer our guests.

We are particularly pleased to note that the reception team are taking such good care of you and that you find our cleanliness and standards to such a high standard which is very rewarding for our team.

Whilst I appreciate not having a car may be slightly inconvenient if you want to visit the nearby supermarkets, our direct access to the Winnersh Triangle station means we are only 6 minutes to Reading central station for all your shopping or other requirements.

I am very pleased by your appreciation of our special anti mist heating in the mirros to the bathroom .

Thank you also for your recognition of the very good quality full English breakfast we offer. Kidnly note that we do indeed provide porridge on request within the rate, as this is one of the a la carte offerings that are provided to order to ensure freshness and quality .

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future and thank you again for your lovely lengthy review
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have had many meals at the hotel - both my husband and I and with friends and family and I've always been impressed with both the quality of the food and the service. Staff are friendly and attentive and the variety of dishes on offer suits any taste... my husband is quite a fussy eater & he cleans his plate every time! We had a lovely romantic meal for my birthday, we dined over the Christmas period with friends and most recently my cousin's family with her two children came for a meal. The children were looked after, and a high-chair was provided too. Service was unhurried and staff really listen to your needs and make helpful suggestions, which to me is a sign of outstanding customer service. We stayed for 3 hours and had a thoroughly relaxing, pleasant time. It's the best dining location in the area by a long, long way. We'll be coming back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Highly Valued Repeat Guest

Thank you so much for your repeat custom at our hotel. We really appreciate your enjoyment of our wonderful 2 AA rosette cuisine and your recognition of our exceptional standards of service. Your feedback is truly motivational for the team and we thank you very much for recognising our efforts and for your very important vote that we provide the best restaurant in the area!

We hope you will also try our wonderful spa facilities and very popular Afternoon Tea on your next visit

Kind regards
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This new Holiday Inn is a welcome addition to the accommodation options in Reading. It is well located for the business parks to the east or Reading as well as offering easy access to Bracknell.

The hotel is very well appointed with a welcoming reception area. The hotel car park appears to be open to non residents working at the local offices but there's no charge to hotel guests. I only had breakfast in the restaurant however it had a good ambience and the food was good.

My room was a "country view" on the 6th floor (top floor). In practice this seems to mean not overlooking the A329M road. The room itself was very modern, spotlessly clean and was larger than I had expected of a new property. Additionally its layout wasn't quite the standard hotel room shape which made it feel a little different. There's a large flat screen TV on the wall, a desk and a comfortable armchair. The bedroom had what can best be described as a range of ambient lighting. I don't think that I've ever been in a hotel room with as many switches to have such a number of lighting options. So if you like low light levels you're well catered for but equally bright lighting is also available, when you locate the necessary switches! The room was air conditioned and also had an opening window.

Had it not been for the bed and bedding this hotel would easily have merited a maximum 5 rating. Obviously this is my personal view but I found the bed to be extremely firm and would have liked feather rather than firm synthetic pillows.

Overall though this is a good hotel and one that I expect to return to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a joy to stay in. Staff are friendly, it's warm, very clean & convenient to get to. The bathrooms are spotless, as one of my pet hates are grotty bathrooms. old & dirty tiling, grouting, wonky, dripping shower heads. Bathrooms (which in my experience are in the majority) like this make me shudder, but I have to say the bathroom in my room was as good as I've seen in 5 star hotels. Spotless, bright every detail immaculate. The food is good in the restaurant about average for a hotel chain. Room service was v prompt with everything hot & well presented. Only gripe no free wi-fi anywhere in hotel but you can pay for an hour or £10 for 24hrs. Will definitely be back

• Stayed January 2013
Windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We visited the hotel for the New Years Eve package which included a five course meal with a disco which lasted through to 1.00am and stayed overnight.
The meal was excellent with the staff both professional and friendly and the function was attended by approx 80 persons.
The hotel was by the best Holiday Inn we have over stayed at and a class above the rest and very noticeable the first class service from all the staff which was very professional but also had a personal friendly touch.
We stayed in room 428 which was excellent and had all the facilities we required.
During our stay we used the leisure facilities including swimming pool, sauna, steam room and also had a massage. The staff there were excellent.
My only minor criticism is that the sound quality to the disco could have been better and as we went as a couple we would have been happy to share a table with others.
The location of the hotel is close to the M4 with a station nearby and Reading just a couple of miles down the road.
Many thanks to all the staff for a memorable New Years Eve and as we only live 15 miles from the hotel we will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Holiday Inn in Reading is a solid business hotel with quiet comfortable rooms, good services for business, a central location, and a good restaurant and bar. There is underground parking for guests. It's a good value and a good solid hotel that I would recommend to anyone in the area for business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct10? Share your experiences!