“Christmas break” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brussels, Belgium
“Christmas break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband booked us in just before Christmas and we had a wonderful short stay. The spa facilities were great and the massage was a superb treat (thank you to the Polish masseuse.) The meal was good too. My only negative comment is something should be done to mask the office block view from the restaurant. Why not have a plant / other screen?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is our second visit to this hotel due to having excellent facilities at a good rate (Advanced Saver). The rooms are spacious, quite & comfortable. Reception staff are attentive.

Unfortunately, in our opinion the same can't be said of the male bar staff. There was a female member of the bar staff who we found friendly, engaging & professional. But can't say the same for the male member we had the misfortune of being served by. On our first night we turned up at the bar which only had one other couple in it & waited 2 minutes until someone eventually turned up to serve us! I ordered a Becks Vier for myself (very nice too!) & an orange juice for my wife, After my wife tasting the juice I returned to the bar asking the same barman whether he had served us an orange juice as it tasted like mango. He replied it definitely was orange juice. Not accepting this I questioned him again & he repeated it was orange juice. Eventually he got the empty bottle out of the bin which stated it was orange & passion fruit! No apology or alternative drink offered! It wasn't just the way this barman handled my issue but it was his attitude that I was most upset with. Even before I made the complaint about the orange juice I was served without a smile, without any friendly engagement & a total lack of eye contact. I distinctly got the impression that this guy was not happy in his work!

It gets better - I was joined in the bar by a friend who went up to the bar & asked for a glass of white wine. Served by the same barman as I was he was given a glass of room temperature wine. My friend mentioned that the wine wasn't chilled. The barman replied that it had come from a bottle within the fridge. My friend then said, how long had it been in the fridge? Barman stated "all day". Once again, no apology was offered. Although not a perfect solution, the barman didn't even offer ice to put in the glass. All this from a 4* hotel, incredible!

My whinge isn't over yet! The following evening (New year's Eve) had more friends join us at the bar who drank white wine - same rubbish served - unchilled white wine!

& finally (I promise!) the whole bar area was surrounded by loud electronic piano music which made it difficult to hold a conversation - I thought hotel bar piano players were there to provide background music not to drown out any conversation being had.

What a pity that our experience of a great hotel with excellent facilities was let down by a barman & a deaf piano player!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct10, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay.

I would like to apolgise that on this occasion the level of service offered by our bar attendant was not to your satisfaction. I have personally spoken with the individual concerned in detail about your feedback and can assure you that he is very happy in his employment and has been with the hotel since opening.

As you will recall you enquired about the J20 juices that were on offer and he explained that we offered mango and apple or orange and passion flavour . You ordered the orange and passion fruit but returned to the bar a few minutes later to inform the bar attendant that the juice tasted of mango. In order to demonstrate that this was not the case, he showed you the empty bottle which verified that you had been served the orange and passion juice that you ordered.

I apologise if the Pinot Grigio was not to your required chilled temperature. We do keep all our white wine in refrigerators at all times. As a result of your feedback I have checked the refrigerator that thte white wine is kept in but was unable to find anything wrong with the unit but agree that the bar attendant could have offered you some ice if you required colder white wine.

I am very surprised by your feedback regarding our highly talented resident pianist Mr Popov, who was with us for the month of December playing for our guests for lunch and dinner daily. We have repeat guests visiting the hotel to hear him as he is not only a composer but a very well known and respected classical pianist and we received a considerable amount of wonderful feedback about him including all guests who attended the Gala DInner on New Year's Eve who even gave him a standing ovation !

In conclusion I thank you for your recognition of our excellent facilities and the attentiveness of our reception staff

Regards
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I regularly travel to Winnersh to work on and try to get the Holiday Inn, the hotel is great for local business travelers due to the area and the quality of the rooms.

One area where there is a challenge to overcome is the service, far to regular is long queuing. Check in / Check out and getting drinks at the bar is by far the worst experience. Just before christmas the bar staff were openly giving out about the staffing situation at the hotel which goes some way to explain the challenge.

Positives:
Rooms - Excellent
Breakfast - One of the best
Decor - Nice place to be in
Room Service - The fact you get a hostess trolley is a really nice addition when you have to work

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Marlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this Holiday inn however, this stay was one which I would rather forget.

I have read some of the other reviews on here which were negative towards the service and also saw the managements reply's each time stating how they have been awarded 4 stars from the AA but I am afraid that the problems remain.

After cheking in last Saturday, we headed to the bar for a glass of wine. The wine was served in thick rimmed glass ware so I asked for a thin glass, like the ones on the bar top. I was informed that this would not be possible as those glasses were for the restaraunt only but when the manager goes, he would see what he could do!!!! REALLY??? I have traveled the world and never have I been told I can't have the glass I want. A small thing yes but come on holiday inn!!!

The hotel amenities are very good such as the pool and the gym and also the rooms are very well appointed, but why on earth do they charge for internet access??? We had to pay £10.00 + to get access when you can get it for free, even in the local highstreet! I felt ripped of as it was a take it or leave it option which in reality, it should be provided by the hotel for free so if you are listening Holiday Inn... To add insult to injury, When we came to check out, I had been charged twice for internet access! The receptionist said it was because we had used two different devices so they wanted to charge me over £20.00.

If you read my other reviews on here you will see that they proportionate, fair and an honest description of the service levels which experienced so I do not like to moan for the sake of it, nor am I precious. I just can't stand poor service when there is no need for it.

After raising my issues with the reception staff, I was told that management would be in touch with me in the next few days. Still waiting to hear from you guys!

Holiday inn have been around long enough to know how to get it right first time, or they would not be around today. So come on Holiday Inn, listen to what your patrons have to say and put things right, then this hotel will be perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct10, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Repeat Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your second stay recently.

I apologise that you were inconvenienced by not immediately being provided with the restaurant wine glass you requested to use in the bar. As you will appreciate we are required to used stamped/ measured glasses in the bar however I am aware that you were provided with the restaurant glass within a few minutes of your request by the lounge bar assistant.

I would also like to clarify that in order to provide the best internet speed in the local area, we pay in excess of £ 12,000 pa for the high speed fibre optic internet that was brought to our hotel at considerable additional cost at time of hotel opening, and which you will appreciate can not be provided free of charge as you suggest in the circumstances. We provide highly competitive accommodation rates for our quality of product which then enables guests who specifically require the use of the internet to pay for it, rather than increase the rates to include complimentary internet for all guests as you suggest.

We are most appreciative to you for your positive comments regarding the quality of our product and the facilties we offer and we hope to have the pleasure of your further repeat custom in the new year

shropshire,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I very rarely give an excellent rating, so this hotel is exceptional.The ratings on trip advisor were such that I had no hesitation of booking, and at low weekend rates.
To add to other reviews which give you a good idea of the hotel,
I asked to borrow a dozen champagne glasses . I had come down for a family luncheon , and forgot to bring some.
The bar manager lent them without hesitation, and at no charge.- Top marks !
The bathrooms have high quality fittings, and even a green led light under the washbasin which is useful when nature .
calls in the middle of the night.
The bed was large and comfortable, with a plasma screen tv built into the wall opposite, and the bedsite light s and switches were well thought out.
Room service took half an hour, but to be fair this was the time stated at booking.,and the food was well presented, with a fold-out trolley/table, with linen knapkins.
Breakfast, at £10 pp prebooked at reception, was good, with attentive service.
Try the hotel yourself, you will not be disappointed !
I

Dear Highly Valued Guest

We are most appreciative to you for your wonderful review and for the excellent ratring you have accorded us !

Our Monty's Lounge Bar Manager appreciates your recognition of his efforts to ensure our guests come first.

We are very pleased by your particular enjoyment of our Hypnos beds and the 32" Philips flat screens which we provide in all our rooms in addition to our excellent breakfast offering. We hope you will try our relaxing Dermalogica Spa on your next visit.

We would like to wish you all the best for the new year and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

If you're looking for a nice hotel near the motorway, this is a good choice. The hotel looks brand new and the rooms are large and of a high standard (even the standard ones). Service is mostly good and the hotel represents reasonable value for the area. The bar/restaurants at the hotel are the normal fare but a little low on excitement so maybe best to head elsewhere for drinking/dining. Confusingly there is another Holiday Inn 1 junction up on the motorway- if you're in any doubt- go for the one reviewed here. If this sets the standard for future Holiday Inns, they are on the right track. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

We are very pleased that you have discovered our new hotel and we thank you very much for taking the time to share your wonderful experiences via Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

In addition to being conveniently located just one mile off Jct 10 of the M4, we are also a mere 5 minutes from Reading town centre or 2 stops by train to Reading town centre from the adjacent Winnersh Triangle station if you are looking for late night action.

We appreciate your recognition of the wonderful condition of our new property and the very high standard of all our accommodation . We really recommend you try our extensive menu offering on your next stay as in addition to offering fabulous modern British cuisine in our 2 AA rosette Caprice restaurant, we also offer a wonderful Authentic Indian menu which is not to be missed or even suggest you try our superb Afternoon Tea prepared by our own highly talented Pastry chef.

Our best wishe to you for 2013 and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10 in the very near future

Atworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My Wife and I live locally and went to the hotel for a meal, We had heard it was very good and tried it for ourselves, we had an excellent meal, with an imgainative menu and first class service.
It way exceeded our expectations of a Holiday Inn Restaurant.

The live piano playing by 'Popov' was an excellent background and added to the ambience, not an easy thing to do usually in a hotel environment.

The Hotel itself was spotless and the public areas contemporary and inviting, Im sure the rooms are up to the same high standard.

I am a Platinum card holder at the Holiday Inn group of hotels and have visited/stayed in many over the years, this was the best

Dear Valued Guest

We are very pleased that you have recently discovered our new hotel and thank you very much for your wonderful review of our Caprice 2 AA rosette restaurant..

We have indeed had the pleasure of a wonderful month throughout December with the exceptional Mr Popov delighting our guests everyday for lunch and dinner. He will definitely be back next December by very popular demand from valued guests such as yourself. We do also have a resident pianist playing weekdays during the evening from 19.00 - 22.00, so we hope to see you both for dinner again in the near future considering you are so local to our hotel.

Kind regards

Been to Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct10? Share your experiences!