“Like many others here, I am hesitant to review this place...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Savaneta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Zeerovers is a local bar and restaurant situated on the waterfront in the fishermen's town of Savaneta. Here we serve fresh fried fish and shrimps with side orders of fried plantain, french fries, pan bati(local version of cornbread), onions in vinegar and tartarsauce. Everything is served to you in a basket as you sit on the dock overlooking the water as fishermen bring in their catch which in fact could have been your meal if you came a few hours later. That said, this is not a place for fancy dining but rather a place where you are welcomed to kick back,relax and get your hands dirty.
California
“Like many others here, I am hesitant to review this place...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I am hesitant because I don't want it becoming too popular! We decided to walk here from the bus stop, though it was maybe a mile or two walk it provided several phenomenal photo opportunities on the coast and amongst some of the nearby fishing docks. We ordered 1kg of fish (1/2kg of barracuda and 1/2kg of wahoo) with fried plantains, fries, and the vinegar onions. The whole shebang cost us $20($22 with a bottle of water). There was certainly enough food there for the two of us. We ordered about 1230 and food was served within 15 minutes. The fish was obviously fresh and cooked correctly: the wahoo was fantastic but I would have preferred the barracuda cooked a different way (not fried). I didn't realize at the time that apparently the only way they cook fish is to fry it. This is my only real complaint with Zeerover: they have such a wide variety of fresh fish throughout the year yet they only have one way to cook it and I think this doesn't do their great product justice. The onions in vinegar was also surprisingly good.

The views from the sitting area of this restaurant are fantastic: I could have easily just sat there all day watching and listening to the ocean and the fishing boats. Another thing to note: if you are there mid day it can get slightly warm due to the kitchen and the building/landscape which blocks most of the wind. Dress accordingly (I was a bit warm in my tshirt/shorts but it was certainly bearable; maybe I should bought a cold, adult beverage to further cool myself down).

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Astoria, New York
“EXCELLENT LUNCH WITH A VIEW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place is often described as "not fancy" you get served in a basket with plastic utensils blah blah blah. Not only is the fish incredibly fresh and inexpensive but the place itself is located in a place that I could have literally spent all day at. It was peaceful and I enjoyed every second of the moments we were there. When it was our turn to order - we very simply said "give us everything" - we had red snapper, grouper, shrimp, plantains - THE BEST I'VE EVER HAD, and corn bread...not to mention the cheap beers here as well. We were luck enough to see a fresh batch of Wahoo being brought in by the fishermen. Totally loved Zeerover and this will be a definite to do with every visit - can't believe it took us this long to get there.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Feasterville, Pennsylvania
“Great Island Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were told about this restaurant from a cab driver last year and also read the reviews on this site.Our experience was exactly what we were looking for. We had a great island experience the locals sell thier daily catch here the menu is simple catch of the day you get to select how much fish you want it is cooked quickly simple and tasty. We were able to sit at the end of the dock while some folks were fishing thier friendliness added to our pleasure.Also the view was excellent

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Fresh fish right off the boat!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This local bar deep fries the catch of the day so if you are looking for fresh fish this is the place. You can see the type of fish on the chalkboard outside. Walk up to the window and order and they will literally open a cooler and show you the raw fish you'll be having. You tell them how much fish and shrimp you want and then pay by the pound. French fries, local bread and fried plantains accompany your meal. Then you find a table on the open air pier. Whatever they caught that day is the only thing on the menu that night. Unfortunately, wahoo is not my favorite fish, but my husband really enjoyed it. The staff is very friendly, but a little limited in their English. Be sure to ask for someone else to assist in translating if you feel it necessary. This is definitely a local hangout so if you are looking for a romantic dinner, go somewhere else. If you are looking for a casual, local experience try it out.

Visited November 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Favorite local lunchtime hideaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I hesitate to share my love for this fisherman's pier. It is amazing. They only serve what they have and once they run out...you have to come back another day. You get the catch of the day and shrimps. They are flash fried and served on a bed of fries, sweet plantains and johnny cake. Get onions on the side. It will cost about $30 for two people. You can order your beverage at the inside window. Find a spot to enjoy the view and place your number on the table. They will bring your food to you.

Note: Friday- Sunday nights you DEFINITELY need a reservation. This is a local spot and gets crowded. Great environment and dancing on the weekends.

• 5 of 5 stars Food