“Fantastic pub” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Fantastic pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Was suggested the pub by the owner of the B and B we were staying in saying that they had fantastic food and would make us feel very welcome from the short walk from the B and B we walked into a very quiet pub normally i would feel intimidated by this however the owner said welcome asked how we were doing, how long we were staying and made us feel at ease straight away, the food was fantastic, very reasonable, drinks great range of ale's and ciders on tap, the locals were happy to talk to us and include us in conversations making it a very pleasant evening, my husband and I both wish we lived in bondall so that this could be our local pub.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

97% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Awesome Pub!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This really is one of the best pub's in the world! It was my 40th birthday celebrations on Saturday and in response to the previous post about families, this was entirely my fault. Lots of my friends turned up with their kids early in the evening. However, the staff could not have looked after us better and rushed around to deliver plates of kiddy friendly food - many thanks to them! And apologies to the other customers! Most of the kids went home around 8ish and after that we settled down for a night of high quality drinking eating and live entertainment - a great night out! This pub is well worth seeking out - you will not be disappointed. .

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derbyshire
“Beware - it can be too child-friendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went in on Saturday at 7:30 and it was a bit too child-friendly for us. We couldn't sit down, because even those tables that hadn't got a child sitting at it playing had the remnants of children: spilt orange juice, scribbling paper, crayons. I asked the barman if it was a children's party, but he said, no, just families having a meal.
It was difficult not to stand on the ones lying on the floor,
I do like the beer and cider here, but we didn't even finish our drinks before leaving. We weren't the only ones.

Visited October 2012
David W, Owner at The Barley Mow, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Unfortunately, as a small intimate local village public house, sometimes there will potentially be compromises as different groups of people share the same small space together.
We find this usually results in a positive experience for our customers, as people often interact with each other and create a wonderful atmosphere that maybe would not have occurred if they had kept to themselves.
On this particular evening we had a 40th birthday party, and many of the group had their children with them. This is very much a rare occurrence, but I like to feel that we managed the situation as well as was possible. We didn't feel the children were not misbehaving - just being children. Obviously some people coming out for a quiet drink on that particular evening may have been disturbed - but there wasn't much more we could have done given the situation, and I make no apologies for being inclusive to children, families and adults alike.
I understand that this was your experience when you visited and we value your honest feedback, however I do hope that you do give us another chance and possibly return to see us, and I'm sure you will have a great evening !
Solihull UK
“a real pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stress this is not a gastropub. It is a proper pub that does tradtional food. We had an excellent Sunday lunch and were made to feel at home. Excellent real ales. I think one should book for Sunday lunch, we did, and the place was very busy. As a previous reviewer said " I wish this was my local".....I agree

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Loughborough
“World class pub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great food and beer in a cosy bar.
The licencees go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I only wish this was my local!

Visited September 2012