“Great Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Camino Real Monterrey

You added Camino Real Monterrey to your Saves list
Camino Real Monterrey
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Diego Rivera 2492, Col. Valle Oriente, San Pedro Garza Garcia, Monterrey 66200, Mexico   |
Elk Grove, California
“Great Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

This place is FIRST CLASS. Well, for Mexico it is. Great Hotel, Fabulous restaurants. Highly recommend it!

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Los Cabos Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I have booked Camino Real Monterrey because I wanted to experience the new Camino Real design.

I was positively surprised with the quality of the hotel. The architecture is outstanding, Architect Ricardo Legorreta did an excellent job combining the modern design with the Mexican contemporary trend. I really loved the hotel, the front desk, the spacious lobby, the warmth of the rooms, the design pool, … every single corner has been carefully designed.

The hotel has a very convenient location, the best area in Monterrey, close from everything. The views from the hotel are really beautiful: the mountains and the famous Cerro de la Silla! Restaurants and main corporate areas are just five minutes away.

The rooms are very modern and comfortable. The warm colors and the big windows make you feel relaxed. The bathroom is tremendously spacious and it has a mirror which is at the same time a window to the sleeping room. If you turn on the bathroom light you will see a moon effect on the bed. Amazing!

I booked a room at the Camino Real Club and I had access to the lounge, light breakfast and hors d’oeuvres are complimentary and the lounge has the best views on the mountains.

The restaurants are good, I particularly loved the Kyo, Asian food . The food is awesome and the place has a great ambiance. The Bice has delicious gnocchis.

I booked this as a business trip but I spent the week end there. The rates for the weekend are very convenient and there are a lot of things to do around the area: adventure, shopping and dining!

I strongly recommend this hotel, service, architecture, location and comfort are all combined, I wish I could find a hotel like this in all the big cities in Mexico!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Laredo, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

My wife and I were appalled to see such poor maintenance and service.
When we first arrived, we were just dropping off luggage so we advised the bell boy of this. 15 minutes later we asked the alternate bell boy who may know where our keys were and he replied yelling back to us “I have no idea”. We rushed out.
Moving up to the room, when the doors of the elevator opened on our 26th floor, we were struck by the Carpet, or what is left of it. Dirty, soiled, extremely wrinkled. Very poor aspect. Along the corridor we encountered an abandoned vacuum cleaner. Still, hopes for the room though.
Classic “Motel 6” shower drain. Feet flopping in soapy water. Chipped walls, dirty walls.
Next day, when checking out. It turns out they were aware there was an “issue” with the reservation system, and they did not recognize that our rate included Continental breakfast. They requested the email confirmation we had to be forwarded in order for them to validate discounting our meal from their system.
I will try the Crown Plaza

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these San Pedro Garza Garcia hotels

Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Been only for 3 days in Monterrey for Business, but I enjoyed this Hotel. Elegant, with designed furniture. Rooms are quite spacious, very cozy and clean. Pretty much comfortable bed.
Dinner at Bice Restaurant is correct, price fair, but food is not remarkable.
Lowest points for Breakfast. Next time I’d rather have breakfast at Starbucks, 10 meters aside.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Vail
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

I was recommended by a friend to stay at this hotel. It is definitely a striking hotel with beautiful architecture and gives the impression of a first class hotel.

Upon checking in to my room, it was appalled at the cleanliness. It was disgusting! There were multiple hairs on the toilet, marks all over the walls and surfaces, the carpet was filthy. How this could be a leading hotel of the world, with cleanliness like this is beyond me.

The staff at check out were totally incompetent and extremely unfriendly. It took me over 20 minutes to check out and I was 2nd in line.

Save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The llack of cleanliness.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mexico, DF
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

How can Camino Real Monterrey be a leading Hotel of The World?
Supposedly all Leading Hotels have to pass a very strict evaluation to be part of this association; I can’t understand how Camino Real Monterrey could possibly pass it.
First of all, the service…. Inattentive and it seemed that the employees were just trying to pass the day without caring about guests. We arrived on Wednesday night and we were really tired, as a member of The Leader’s club you are requested to fill a dossier before your stay with your preferences, on my dossier as priority number one was to have double bedded rooms, we received 2 king rooms, the receptionist seemed annoyed by having to change the room type, it took him 10 minutes to change them! As a member of the Leader’s Club you are entitled to a room upgrade, when we asked about the upgrade they told us that the upgrade consisted on the welcome chocolates they gave us…..come on!
We were staying at floor 29, the carpet was full of stains of all colors, the walls were scratched and dirty, and the ceiling was dripping and had holes with buckets on the floor…. you don’t get this even at La Quinta Inn or at Super 8 Motels! I thought this was a floor problem so I decided to check on other floors, they were all the same.
The pool and gym area is nice, in fact it is beautiful yet the pool water was freezing.
The rooms were just OK, very uncomfortable, dirty walls, the bathroom has no door, just a glass as well as the toilet and the shower, therefore you can’t have any privacy. The air conditioning was not working, it was set to the coldest temperature and me and my family sweated all night. (No special amenities such as extra towels, extra blankets, etc. that you request before your stay)
The next day we left very disappointed and annoyed, we had another reservation for 5 days later, unfortunately we could not cancel it because we had already paid for the rooms, but if I could have cancel it I wouldn’t have hesitated. As we left we asked the lady at the front desk to change the next reservation to double beds instead of king beds, she told us there was no problem.
The five days passed and we were there again… the facilities and hotel maintenance was going to be the same ones but maybe the service could be good this time…. never assume. Again they gave us KING SIZE ROOMS! And again it took them about 10 minutes to change them; they told us that they would change our welcome gifts (their upgrades) to the new rooms (that smelled to smoke when in my preferences it says NO SMOKING ROOMS). We requested an extra bed and they arrived with a mattress and ONE blanket that they placed on top of it, they didn’t even bother on making the bed.
The only good thing about the hotel was the oriental restaurant because even the lobby was not cozy and impersonal.
I really regret basing my stay in this hotel because it was a Leading Hotel of the World, I don’t think I am ever doing this again and I am also surprised because the hotel didn’t meet any of the “requirements” a “5 star hotel” should meet to be a LHW, especially when it comes to service.
*Rooms are not ugly at all, they just aren't comfortable+ all the other things*

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to details
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

There is no doubt that the Camino real is a beautifully-designed hotel with fantastic restaurants. The decor strikes a perfect balance between modern and traditional Mexican design elements. I stayed recently for three nights on business and was immediately impressed, and glad about the proximity with the airport and downtown Monterrey.

The problems started in the seemingly well-appointed room. The carpet was grubby and stained. One of the light fixtures did not work. The sink plug did not work. The screen on the fancy phone flickered badly and was unreadable. A mirror fixture between the main room and bathroom was broken and stuck in place.

Unfortunately, the service was poor as well. Items from the room, such as coffee or soap, were not replaced. I had to call room service on several occasions, but no English-speakers ever answered the phone. This is a surprising for a high-end hotel in a business-oriented city like Monterrey. Once I was put on hold for 20 minutes while room service tried to find an English-speaker.

The last straw for me was when my laundry was undelivered, and reception forgot to give me a vital wake-up call. Fortunately, I had set my own alarm as a backup!

I must mention the Kyo Grill Restaurant, which offers fabulous Japanese fusion cuisine in a amazingly designed restaurant. There is a giant Buddha statue in the restaurant which some diners no doubt will find distasteful, though.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Camino Real Monterrey? Share your experiences!