We stayed here during, unfortunately, 3 and half ‘rainy days’ using our short summer vacation. As the Six Senses has long been our holiday target, we choose one of their resorts due mainly to its convenient access from Tokyo.
Our Cliff Villa #51 is told to be located on the 2nd highest spot ( the #52 on the highest ) overlooking the ocean, islands and unspoiled nature. At the checking in, we are delighted to note that not only the panorama view from there is stunning, but also the villa itself is impressive by its superb integration with the surrounding foliage.
Private swimming pools are spacious, and after swimming, you can lie down and relax on the sofas in the villa-garden or even to eat and chat there.
To our great regret, it has been poured during most of our sojourn. Yes, we do expect such showers as in the tropics, however, we are not prepared for such a typhoon as being heartless enough to abandon almost all of our outdoor activities. Although, we enjoy, instead, the indoor activities such as visiting relaxation spa, tasting various local herbal tea, attending body cream making lesson and cooking school, they unfortunately are not able to make us get over disappointment of losing opportunity to bathe and relax under tropical sunshine.
In the cliff villa, when it rains heavily, you will get easily drenched even when you go to dressing and washing rooms as they are in the separate cottages. Outdoor Jacuzzi without roof, of course, cannot be used either. We would thus suggest that, if you plan to stay here during the rainy season ( from June to October ), you should contact the resort beforehand just to check what the weather is expected to be.
Now, let’s come back to a good part. Food here is excellent. By making full use of fresh and abundant local harvests, all of the cuisine is healthy, tasty and nicely prepared. But please pay special heed to the quantity of dishes particularly of prix-fixe menu at the dinner. It will be pretty heavy.
Other sweet amazements which you will enjoy are its variety of served fruits, and, needless to say, its availability of chocolate and ice cream that you can try anytime and any kind in its unique chocolate bar. You should not miss this facility.
We use ‘Back to Nature’ package which includes breakfast and four outdoor activities such as ‘Tree Pod Dining’ and ‘Beach Picnic’, which would become a highlight of our sojourn if it not were not for such typhoon. We still wonder why there is no alternative activity or rescheduling of the plan, according to whether condition, offered by the hotel, who should be well aware of whimsical weather in this season.
A simple business like phone call by the hotel staff just telling us, ‘Your activity is cancelled’ is very disappointing and discouraging.
We would like to reiterate that, when visiting here during rainy season, make sure to check if there is any alternative activities prepared if it rains. Your butler is not taking care of not only you but others, therefore, despite his/her friendly manner, its service will likely to be in a businesslike manner when busy.
It will be optimal if there is an office controlling all the outdoor activities in order for all the guests, including short vacationers, to fully enjoy their sojourn whatever the weather is.
We have missed a lot of its unique experiences, we still cannot deny that this is one of the best resorts we have ever experienced. We still even recall smiling faces of the staffs who become good friend of ours, We, thus, will definitely make sure to come back here again during its ‘better’ season with more slow life, not 3 days only, manner.
- Also Known As:
- Soneva Kiri By 6 Senses
- Soneva Kiri By Six Senses Hotel Koh Kood
- Soneva Kiri By Six Senses Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Remote yet accessible, Soneva Kiri sits on Thailand's fourth largest but least populated island, Koh Kood, in the Gulf of Siam. Surrounded by lush, vibrant tropical vegetation and white beaches, fringed with palm trees, the resort has been tastefully and cleverly designed to complement the landscape and blends seamlessly into the outstanding natural beauty. Soneva Kiri epitomises the Soneva concept of 'intelligent luxury'. Only an hour's flight in the resort's private plane from Bangkok, it feels a million miles from the real world. The sense of tranquillity, seclusion and harmony with nature is second to none. Far away from the beaten track and well-trodden tourist attractions this is Thailand as it used to be thirty or even fifty years ago, genteel and untainted. And also just one hour by boat from the wonders of Cambodia. The 35 pool villa resort is perfect for groups or families, as it provides villas with up to 6 bedrooms. It also has a unique children's den in the form of a manta ray, and a newly launched Intrepid Explorer's Club for the children under 5 years old. It was recently awarded with The Smith Award "Best for Families" from Mr. & Mrs. Smith. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Soneva Kiri Thailand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.