“Incredible trek with Said Salim” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Lushoto
New York, New York, United States
“Incredible trek with Said Salim”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

In June 2013, my boyfriend, his father and I spent three wonderful days trekking in the Usambara Mountains with Said, as part of a two week trip to Tanzania. It was a highlight of our visit! Said met us at the bus station - very good, as if he hadn't we would have had lots of other guides offering their services, and we can't imagine anyone else could have been as great a guide as Said. He designed a brilliant itinerary for us, - meeting us after breakfast at the lodge we stayed in and then an idyllic walk through the hills to a convent high in the mountains, where we stayed the night. The next day we hiked through mountain villages and learnt so much about the local environment and culture - Said was so knowledgable, having grown up in the area himself. He could name all the plants, landscapes, gave us a great summary of Tanzanian history and could spot wildlife from miles off!

After watching the sunset high up in a mountain village and staying in a small guest house the second night, we woke early and returned to Lushoto, where we climbed to a viewing point from where we could see a wonderful view of the Valley, and then had a feast of cheese, chutneys and rye bread at a local biodiversity farm. It was a perfect itinerary, and we only wish we had had more time with Said and on the hike!

I would unhesitatingly recommend Said's treks to anyone - well worth the journey to the Usambara. Also, having met and spoken to other guides and the tourists with them, we felt certain that Said's trek was by far the best! He is the longest serving guide in the area, and knows routes the other guides don't. Also, where other guides take their guests to 'cultural craft' exhibits - where there is pressure to buy souvenirs, Said only took us to a local market, where we were able to enjoy the atmosphere with no pressure to purchase.

Finally, Said is a remarkable man. Having been ended up on the streets of Arusha at the age of 9, he went on to graduate from university, learn many languages and run his tour guide business. He now works to improve the lives of local children, and - he modestly told us - runs a computer training scheme for them.

You can email Said at: usambaraguide@yahoo.com !

Visited June 2013

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Said Salim, the guide who made my safari the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

During the month of May 2013,

I left alone for Tanzania, where I made a 3 days safari across ngorongoro crater,tarangire and lake manyarg national parks! A guide I had in a previous expedition gave me Said Salim' number, owner of the Usambara Adventures (a Tanzanian tour and safari company - http://www.usambaraadventures.com/index.html - or should I say the best one).

I call him on a very short notice and explained him I was alone and had a very limited budget. With out any remarks on the short delay, he presented me the best plan I could have found respecting all my constraints!

Sawing the other groups and jeeps, I can tell I definetly had the best guide! I had a wonderful experience! He always did his best to find as many animals as he could, while respected the animals and the parks. He was so knowledgeful and provided numerous information about each animal. The whole trip he listened to my demands (like starring longer at an animal) and proposed me different options.

Kind, friendly, professional, experienced and knowledgeable, that's how I would describe him. Furthermore, he uses a part of the profit to reinvest it in the Tanzaninan community (which I testified myself!).

Really the best choice! If you are going to Tanzania, call him! He does not only do safaris, but all kind of expeditions and can take you in charge directly from the airport! And really fair prices!

Thank's again!!!

Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic Trip with Said Salim!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a wonderful time trekking through the Usambara mountains with our amazing guide: Said Salim. The landscapes are breathtaking, the people are welcoming, and we just had the best time. Our guide Said really made the trip for us. He was really easy going, had lots of good local knowledge and stories to share and was generally a great guy to be around. He is always smiling and upbeat, and a very gentle soul that was a pleasure to be around.

We trekked for 10 days with Said in the Usambaras. He also organized a 10 day safari for us through 5 different national parks. All of it was a great success. The driver and cook he hired for the safari were experienced and great guys to hang out with. The food we ate was well beyond our expectations and we could not help but put a few too many pounds on. We travelled for 5 months this past year, and the trip to Tanzania and the time spent with Said, was hands down our favourite of it all.

If you are thinking of a trip to Tanzania and don't want to book with a larger tour group, I would highly recommend Said. He will customize a trip to meet your needs and you will not regret it!! He is a great guy who gives back to his communities, drop him a line!

Visited September 2012
San Sebastian
“Wonderful hiking with the best guide ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We met Said Salim in Lushoto and he offered us plenty of different choices among which we could choose the best option according to our expectations and the available time. We hike among Usambara mountains, departing from Lushoto and reaching Mtae. We learned a lot about local tribes' culture, animals and plants. During our hiking we could see very beautiful and unique landscapes, welcoming people and cheerful children. We had the chance to interact with local people and we even learn how they cook. Said was our guide and thanks to him it was a very enriching experience, he was very kind and taking a very good care of two of us always prioritizing our expectations over anything else. He is a very experienced and professional guide, the best we have ever met!!
Website: http://www.usambaraadventures.com. Email: usambaraguide@yahoo.com

Visited August 2012
Berlin, Germany
“Beautiful walk with Said”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went on a day trip hiking through Usambara Mountains starting in Lushoto. Said (Usambara Adventures) took us to a beautiful walk. He also picked us up at the bus station the day before which was pretty nice! He's a great guide and I would highly recomend to visit Lushoto and meet up with Said there!

Visited September 2012