“Nice But......” 3 of 5 stars

“Nice But......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I spent 14days in Jan 2013
A really nice clean Resort but not a full Ayurveda

Staff and resort is brilliant but lacks things as below.

Basically Yoga is only for 1 hour in the morning and not really enough.
Ayurveda only two treatments (about 1.5hours)
food warmish to cold lack of fresh juices (can be purchased separately)

Priced Med range not cheap not expensive.

front office staff could have a bit more of a can do attitude but pleasant over all.

if they resolve this it would be a really brilliant place and i would recommend it.
No health and beauty despite being advertised on the web.

So I suggest please feedback honestly as I think they will improve

Room Tip: all rooms are pretty good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

For the first time that I can remember I returned to a holiday location - and don't regret this for one moment. We were welcomed into the peaceful Devaaya existance and we did our best to absorb as much as possible of this small paradise.
Gently starting the day with Yoga, moving through the treatments and Ayurvedic procedures, we were tempted not to make any trips outside. However we did visit Panjim (the state capital) for an hour or two of shopping at a recommended store.
Recharge your batteries - book Devaaya for 2 weeks and feel good!

Room Tip: get the Superior rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I spent 6 nights at Devaaya after a busy 4 weeks studying in Mumbai. It was everything I needed - peaceful, quiet, comfortable, clean and relaxing. My room was lovely with a balcony overlooking the neighbouring fields and coconut trees. The treatments were great and very worthwhile (though, as someone else has noted, don't go if you are uncomfortable without clothes!), helping suprisingly well with joint pain from rheumatoid arthritis. Going during off season I actually found quite worthwhile. Though it was rainy and there weren't as many activities on as on season, it was so quiet, and the area was really lush. I also found the rain quite soothing! The food is great and there's enough of it that you don't feel the need to snack, and the service is immaculate! I would recommend taking the pre-yoga cleansing, yoga, and meditation every day, as suggested, as it really contributes to the overall ayurvedic experience.

I only got back yesterday and miss it already. I'm definitely inspired and willing to continue living an ayurvedic lifestyle. I will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Frankly speaking I was skeptical when I was asked to check this hotel out as it is located on an island and so obviously, you can’t just go loitering around looking for markets n all. Well, I took the leap and the property/resort turned out to be surprisingly good.

The booking was arranged by our tour operator Antilog Vacations and they did gave some good services + Ayurveda package along at cheaper rates than what others were offering.They offered us 5-6 ayurveda resorts and we booked it finally

The rooms are huge with 2 huge windows which makes the room look airy,2 washrooms for a single room, 1 mirror overlooking the room, a 21 inch LCD TV, 1 writing desk, a coffee table, 1 bedside table and a ok wardrobe which can be just used for keeping folded clothes and to top it off...everything at your fingertips and yes keep the A/C on 24*7 cause it’s a 1 ton split a/c which needs time to cool the room and if you want that perfect cozy feeling then you need to have the a/c running at all times.

The swimming pool was a standard size swimming pool, which is looked after every day, but the sad side... no changing rooms for the swimming pool which turns out to be a folly when it comes to ladies and the washrooms attached to the pools are not well managed and dirty.
Let’s venture towards the restaurant now.

The food is the best vegetarian and Indian food I have ever eaten, just delicious. The staff is very friendly and always more than welcome to provide you anything you need.
I would state that the only thing which needs to be taken care of is the buffet breakfast. The choices in the articles served on table can be increased.

The room service is slow, which I actually don’t complain about, Goa being a easy going place and frankly speaking even though they take 10 mins instead of 2 ... they do the job well so thumbs up on that.

The retreat needs a stay of at least 10 days to get the full benefit of the Ayuveda regime, which starts with yoga every morning and 2 treatments per day. Everyone is scheduled for a daily doctor’s appointment and this gives the feeling of really being cared for.
Thanks for making my trip delightful. Surely returning next year!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Though there were several things to like about Devaaya (staff, location, excellent retreat atmosphere, treatment) my experience with the management was bad enough that I have warned my expat friends here in Mumbai to stay away.

After falling ill on my second day, with an upset stomach and some dizziness, I ended up retiring to my room and missing dinner. After reception called to inquire after my health, the doctor sent a tea that the staff member told me would calm my stomach. It ended up making me *violently* ill and had me up all night with miserable stomach cramps and emptying myself out. The next morning, I called my parents and my doctor in Mumbai, who said it sounded like I had a bacterial infection from tainted food or water or something washed improperly. We decided it was best for me to cut my stay short and head back to Mumbai for treatment.

Up to this point, I had no problem with Devaaya - I felt as though an unpleasant incident was cutting an otherwise very nice stay unfortunately short, and even the night before had been encouraging my mother to come down and join me. Though I got sick off something there, I knew that western stomachs can react unpredictably to Indian food and water, through no fault of the staff or the retreat, and mine can be touchy at the best of times.

However, when I went to check out, my opinion of the place was drastically changed.

There, I was told that not only would they not be refunding me, since I didn't give them advance notice I was cancelling, they would actually have to charge me extra money, because they discount they had given me only applied to stays of 3 days or more (when I booked through the website, I was told that there was a 10% discount on all stays during Monsoon, which is rather common across all of India).

Going back and forth with the manager was aggravating, and given that I was still lightheaded and ill, extremely unpleasant having to stand at the front desk on the phone. She finally agreed to make an exception and authorize a refund "out of consideration for my illness" - but they would be charging me the full rate for the two days I stayed and I would only get what was leftover from what I prepaid. Eventually, it was to the point where if I didn't leave, I would miss my flight, so I had to give in in order to get in the car. As it was, I barely made it.

Here are the things the manager told me when I was arguing with her, which I expect will be mirrored here:

- You have no proof it was food poisoning: Confirmed at the Hironandani hospital that it was a bacterial infection from food/water (I had originally suggested to the manager that it was a reaction to the Malaria pills I had taken several days earlier - the doctor told me that it was too late after taking them to be that)

- It must have been something you had in Mumbai/on the airplane/anything you had in 72 hours: In Mumbai, I ate my parents' cooking, at their house. At the airports/airplane, I had a bottle of water. And stomach bacteria attacks like the one I had take minutes to 12 hours max to develop - all time I was at the retreat.

- You can't get sick from vegetarian food: This is blatantly untrue. Please read some science.

- You don't understand Ayurveda: I'll admit that one up front. I'm a complete neophyte, and was looking forward to this stay as an introduction. Sadly it wasn't a great one. Either way, it's not really relevant to this. As far as I can tell, either Ayurveda means "deciding on a course of treatment without ever seeing the patient after hearing a second hand account of a single symptom and giving a medicine that makes things much much worse", or this was not a proper experience of Ayurveda. I'm thinking next time I'll take the longer flight and go to Kerala instead.

- No hotels ever offer refunds: This is blatantly untrue. I have traveled extensively and stayed everywhere from the Taj Palace Mumbai to tiny boutique hostels in Belfast. The excellent customer service at quality places understand that emergencies come up and do there best to be accommodating and minimize the unpleasantness, because they know that's how you ensure referrals. and repeat business

And that's the sad part - the money-hungry and unpleasant attitude from management turned what would have been a positive review into a warning to stay away, or pray that your visit doesn't have the slightest hiccup. Devaaya will certainly not be getting mine or my family's business again, and I doubt it will be receiving any from any of the other expats in our circle here in Mumbai.

Room Tip: If you have any sort of joint issues / are not accustomed to sleeping on a hard surface, bring a tra...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

we were looking for a restort holiday, when were advised to try the Devaaya. When we arrived we had second thoughts and were thinking that we should try to relocate. 12 hours later we were hooked. The retreat needs a stay of at least 10 days to get the full benefit of the Ayuveda regime, which starts with yoga every morning and includes a balanced 100% vegetartian diet and 2 treatments per day.
Everyone is scheduled for a daily doctors appointment and this gives the feeling of really being cared for.
The peaceful environment, the almost complete lack of the sounds of modern life were an unforgettable part of the experience.
give it a try!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We visited Devaaya after a hectic period. Our objective was to relax and regain energy. We recommend to prepare well and carefully read the background on their offering. For us it was a very nice first introduction to Ayurveda. We staid for a week and received an advice from the Ayurveda doctor to follow a certain diet and to undergo 2 treatments (mostly massages) a day. No alcohol and no coffee/tea (except for green and herbal teas). It was very relaxing and we left Devaaya feeling so much better then when we came! Just one week gave us an astonishing amount of energy. Location is marvelous and the Devaaya people are doing everything they can to make your stay comfortable. We hope to come back soon!
Leo & Wendy

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Devaaya Ayurveda Retreat? Share your experiences!