“A Little Piece of Paradise in Mauritius” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beau Champ
Roseville, Minnesota, United States
“A Little Piece of Paradise in Mauritius”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Four Seasons Hotel Mauritius Review - A Little Piece of Paradise

You will know within 5 seconds of driving up to the Four Seasons Mauritius at Anahita that you have found your home for the rest of your stay on the island. You will also never want to leave.

At least that was our experience with the Four Seasons Mauritius as we got out of our cab from the airport and were greeted by name by the general manager for the hotel with flowers for my wife and a golf cart ready to take us to our villa.

That's right, we didn't even have to check in - the hotel knew who we were, when we were coming, and that we would greatly appreciate a chance to rest in our villa after 45 consecutive hours of travel.

Beauty does not even begin to describe the pristine grounds of the Four Seasons Mauritius, which has been open since 2008. I was so impressed by the surroundings that I managed to take 10 photos of the area during our 2 minute golf cart ride to our villa.

Four Seasons Mauritius Review - The Villa

The villa itself was straight out of a travel magazine. Before you even get into the villa, you notice a wide open outdoor patio, a plunge pool, private lounge chairs and plenty of seating areas.

Inside it is even better, with a wide open floor plan, comfortable beds, a huge closet, open vanity and multiple indoor and outdoor bathing areas.

Since we were staying at the Four Seasons Mauritius for our honeymoon, there was even more amenities to enjoy. A fantastic bottle of champagne, delicious freshly made Macaroons, and some pralines. The Macaroons were served in a heart made out of chocolate, and even the little imprint of the Four Seasons was made out of chocolate. They clearly know how to make someone welcome!

The only complaint we had about the room was really out of the hotels control - we would have preferred a king sized bed instead of two beds, but this was not the fault of the Four Seasons due to an accommodation change from another hotel. #firstworldproblem

Four Seasons Mauritius Review - The Resort

We stayed at the Four Seasons Mauritius Resort at Anahita 5 nights, and we wish we could have stayed for at least twice as long. With activities like Golf, Watersports, Scuba Diving, Paddleboats, Sailing and more, there was something for everyone to enjoy, even if it's just enjoying the sun on the beach.
The golf course was designed by Ernie Els and is the only course meeting PGA standards on the island. Greens fees on the course were free for hotel guests, and we were able to secure a tee time without issue a day in advance. The course has 6 holes on the Indian ocean (definitely the highlight), as well as nice palm trees and other features for the inland holes. The fairways were fairly open, but be prepared to lose a few balls if you hit extreme lefts and rights.

While we did not have a chance to go snorkeling (they offer 2 expeditions per day), we did get a chance to go Scuba Diving with Bruno, the dive master for the resort. Bruno was an excellent teacher and spent extra time helping guide me, as this was only my second Scuba diving experience and the others in our group were much more experienced.
I also recommend the Paddleboats in the Lagoon for anyone wanting to see more of the area around the resort.

Four Seasons Mauritius Review - The Food

There are 3 sit down restaurants and the O Bar at the Four Seasons Mauritius. You have breakfast daily at Beau Champ, which is located on the mainland near the resort entrance. Breakfast is a combination of buffet and menu items where you can order hot items from the menu and get breads/fruits/meats/juices and much more from the buffet. Breads and pastries are hosted in the wine cellar for a cool effect.

During our 5 days on the island we tried most of the hot items and they were of good quality ingredients, with many seafood options. If I were to have a complaint about some of these items, it's that some dishes lacked flavor and could have used some more seasoning. I'm guessing that this low seasoning is a factor of geography or the preferences of other guests.

Most people will have their lunch at Bamboo restaurant overlooking the beach, which offers excellent snacks packed full of flavors of the world and healthy portions.

Dinner occurs in one of the three restaurants - Bamboo, Beau Champ or Aquapazza, the Italian restaurant on site. The days that we were there, only 2 of the 3 restaurants were open each night. We managed to try dinner at each restaurant during our stay, with the highlight definitely being the Indian themed night on Wednesday and a Tropical themed night on Friday. The Indian food was cooked to perfection and was among the best Indian food we have had anywhere. This shouldn't be a surprise, though, because the majority of the population of Mauritius is of Indian descent.

The overall dining experience at the Four Seasons Mauritius was top notch, even if there were a few dishes that lacked the flavors that we experience stateside.

Four Seasons Mauritius Review - The People

During our stay I recall saying to my wife several times that this is the most diverse group of people I have seen in one place in a long time - and this was a very good thing. Diversity is a good thing when it comes to vacationing and there is a reason why we chose Mauritius for our honeymoon - we wanted to escape the United States as well as avoid the common areas couples go to honeymoon.

There is no doubt we were the only couple from the United States at the Four Seasons Mauritius, but we didn't have trouble meeting friendly people from nations around the world. We met couples from South Africa, Germany, Spain, Brazil, and the UK, as well as seeing couples from the Middle East, India, China, Japan. Many nationalities were represented well at the Four Seasons, many of the people were on their honeymoons as well. There was truly a great balance of people at the resort.

Four Seasons Mauritius Review - The Service

The level of service provided by the Four Seasons was unlike any other hotel I have visited. All employees must be instructed to stop their tasks and say hello to every guest, because even the gardeners said hi as we walked by. Employees on golf carts offered us rides to our final destination as we walked the path, maid and turndown service did an excellent job of making up the room each time we left and they even provided us with padded beach chairs and multiple towels for comfort when we sat at the beach. In fact, the beach staff took great care of us as we enjoyed the sun - bringing out water and drinks often without needing to ask.

I know that the Four Seasons hotel chain prides themselves on providing an impeccable level of service, and they definitely delivered on this promise during our stay. The service level was extraordinary.

If I were to have one complaint here, it would be that some level of communication was difficult either due to a language or cultural barrier. Mauritius is primarily influenced by Europe and the official language is Creole, so English was a second language for almost all employees. There were some things that we didn't fully understand about our room rate and accommodations that could have been better explained (or understood). This had to do particularly with our half board accommodations and what exactly that entitled us to receive. There were charges for many items when we received our checks at dinner that were unclear… and they were later taken off when we settled our bill. Some more clarity here would have been very helpful.

As we left the resort, it was clear that they wanted to have us back as guests in the future. We were asked no more than 5 times by employees when we were coming back next. While we're not sure when it will happen next, hopefully it will be soon!

Four Seasons Mauritius Review - The Recommendation

If you ever find yourself in Mauritius, I couldn't recommend the Four Seasons Mauritius at Anahita more highly. It is truly at the pinnacle of resort experiences, the service is impeccable, the facilities are immaculate and the food is diverse and good. With an all villa property, rooms may be more expensive than other hotels on the island, but in our case it was well worth it.

Overall rating: 5 stars out of 5

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with a beachfront villa. Oceanview isn't as nice as the beachfront.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Where to start? My husband and I married on the east coast of Mauritius and spent our honeymoon on the west coast at the Four Seasons. The staff were friendly and attentive without being obtrusive; the somelier for the hotel's restaurants Thomas was excellent, as was the food every evening and the service generally but Thomas deserves a special mention; we stayed in a villa on the island which was lovely; we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and both wished we could have stayed longer..... the golf course is a must for those that play.

It really was a special place to stay and we will be returning for an anniversary in the future. The thing I really have to commend, which I hadn't expected was that the hotel laundry service provide an excellent wedding dress dry-cleaning service. We had married on the beach and my dress had become rather 'grey' around the edges and underneath and rather unfortunately a wedding guest had spilled a cocktail down the front of my dress; planning to wear it at a celebratory dinner in the UK after honeymoon I was worried I wouldn't be able to do so. The staff took extra special care of my dress and three days later returned it to me in immaculate condition; I couldn't believe it - it didn't look like it had been worn. I was able to wear it again and when I had it cleaned afterwards at home locally in Dubai (for a lot more money) they didn't do nearly as good a job and there was significantly less to be cleaned the second time around! I have never been moved enough to bother to write a review, but this hotel was definitely worth the visit and the time out (eventually) to write this review. To all those thinking about staying at this hotel, I hope you do, enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Being in the leisure industry for five years now, I have to say this is one of the best hotels I have dealt with and stayed at.

Upon arriving they greet you with such warmth and passion. Throughout our stay (7 nights) they did their very best to make our stay more pleasurable.... Every member of staff at the hotel was amazing and greeted you with a smile.

All the restaurants offered a great dining experience, and they chefs are fantastic! If it’s not on the menu, no problem we'll make it just for you! General facilities in the resort are to a high standard and the grounds are perfectly kept. Also the concierge were great, knowledgeable and on hand to arrange any tours. Water sports at the resort and great, beach service I experienced was also fantastic. Gym instructors also knew there stuff and were very helpful.

Whilst in Mauritius you HAVE to go to the zoo and see the lions, a real breath taking experience. Also the water park is a fun way to pass time.

Would love to visit this resort again very soon, very sad on my last day when I checked out!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We just spent ten days in this beautiful resort which comes very close to perfection. The villa with six bedrooms was simply amazing with a private pool and a private beach. The style, rooms, ambiance, location, water sports, diving, sailing were all very kids friendly. If I should add some point of criticism. The food was not always excellent like the rest of the resort and the waiting time for extra's during breakfast could be better. If you have other things planned like diving or playing golf in the morning, be sure to be early at breakfast or you could miss those activities. Also you can rent bikes for free, but many times we discovered our bikes were used by others. Four Seasons should find a way to lock the bikes. On the website you can find that they offer horseriding. Unfortunately for our kids, it's an hour drive from the hotel in an overcrowdy environment. But all the rest is just perfect !!!!! Unfortunately I'm back at work today !!! Congratulations to all the staff.

Room Tip: All villas are quiet and very clean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I really should have written this a year ago.

This resort excels in about every way, style, rooms, food, ambiance, water sports, gym, location. Have I left anything out.

If the rates stay reasonable I will return and that is something I never would consider, but the experience was so good.

Thank you to all the hotel staff for their hospitality and attentiveness.

My wife and I left feeling very spoilt and pampered.

The location, rooms, facilities, and food was second to none.

Breakfast was our most fun time the staff were so hard working and looking to get what ever you desired. Wow never had such excellent breakfasts. Simply amazing.

I hope to go back again one day.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let me first introduce you by telling that I am a seasoned traveller and stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world. When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure. For our Mauritius holiday, we decided to stay in One & Only for a couple of nights, followed by the Four Seasons (FS) for 6 nights. I advice everybody to try at least 2 hotels in Mauritius so that you can take in some different scenery.

Before rating the hotel : I have been to the Seychelles, Maldives, and now Mauritius. While Mauritius is very nice, I have to agree with many other reviews on the internet : it is not in the same league of the stunningly beautiful and tropically exotic Seychelles and the Maldives. The latter islands have truly the most beautiful, powdery white sand beaches of the world, and are covered by a dense, jungle-like vegetation (with lots of palm trees), while I found the beaches at Mauritius nothing to write home about, and the island vegetation rather sparse (except for the implanted palm trees at the hotels you will stay). Nevertheless, we truly enjoyed our time in Mauritius, but we probably will not come back.

Our stay in the FS was an overwhelmingly positive one and we were pampered from beginning to end of our too short stay. And while the One & Only hotel (a 20 minute drive away) was also a very nice experience, it does not come close to our experience at the FS.

What we did like :
-the beach. This was truly a nice surprise as we were a bit afraid that the man-made beach at the lagoon was going to be a big disappointment (after having read all the Tripadvisor reports, and after having staid at the nice beach of the One & Only). Well, the beach is very, very nice for Mauritian standards (sand not too soft and no waves at all, but that is not different from elsewhere on the island). In fact, I would even rank it higher in beauty than the beach of the One & Only hotel. It is a lagoon, so you will not see the typical blue shades of the ocean, but there is a complimentary boat trip every hour to the Ile De Cerfs (20 minutes away) where you can walk or sunbath along natural beaches with incredible blue water (again, no palm trees, and do not expect beaches like on the Maldives or Seychelles).
- the entrance and main lobby of the hotel (with the black marble floors) is just amazing and one of the nicest hotel lobbies I ever visited (especially at night when enlightened). The hotel is made to impress to you.
-the villas : very spacious, uberluxurious and comfortable. They all come with their own private plunge pool (which is rather useless since the water was too cold to take a dip).
-the grounds and gardens are well manicured. The domain is very large, but they run a very efficient buggy service and you can also rent bikes for free.
-the food was excellent and memorable, especially at the Italian Restaurant and Beau Champs. In addition, a local lady was singing at the Italian restaurant, guided by a guitarist : simply stunning voice, comparable with the late Witney Houston (they should send a video of hers to a talent scout : the voice of that lady needs to be discovered asap!).
- the staff (including the resort manager) and service are out of this world and will do all they can to serve you. I do not know how they do it, but somehow they all know your name by day 2.
- complimentary golf

What we did not like (with some suggestions for the hotel owners) :
- to our disappointment, you could not take lunch at the beach. Somehow, they did offer some very small snacks on the beach (but these were not included in the all-inclusive formula that we were booked on). It would have been nice if they offered a lunch menu on the beach.
- the spa is very nice (with stunning architecture and setting, especially at night). However, what I did not like that much was the light in the spa treatment rooms. They should dim the light more (which would add to the relaxing athmosphere). Also, while the treatment was ok, I would not rate it excellent. Somehow, this is one of the points where I think that the Four Seasons hotel chain can learn a lot from their competitor Banyan Tree which offers the best spa treatment of the world (all starting with a complimentary foot bath).
- beach service was a little inconsistent : some days they offered lots of complimentary snacks, some days none.
- we were forgotten once by the boat to take us back from Ile de Cerfs to the resort (the boat simply did not show up). After some calls by a security agent, the boat came with a delay of 30 minutes. We were never offered an explanation nor apology.
- on their website, they offer airport transfers for the outrageous price of 140 euro one way. Just know that you can also arrange a taxi for 35 euros one way (which I booked through Taxis Mauritius).
- they ask a fee for wireless internet (I think 10 euros a day), which I think I ridiculous, because (1) you pay already several hundreds of euros a day on accommodation, (2) other luxury resorts like Oberoi and O&O offer this for free, (3) it irritates guests (and will keep them irritating) when they have to pay for this feature.

In summary : a stunning 6-star hotel, probably the best on the island (and definitely better then the One & Only hotel) with incredible service and staff. I only rate it 4 stars, not because of the hotel as such, but because Mauritius did not impress me a paradise island (for that reasons alone, I would recommend travelling to Seychelles or Maldives, which also each have their own Four Seasons hotel).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have just returned from a week at the resort, we had an Ocean Villa and it was absolutely amazing. The staff are amazing and genuinely want you to have a amazing time, although it may cost a lot to get there, the value for money is far greater. We have stayed at lots of places around the world but nothing compares to here.

Our Villa was perfect, in Villa dining is extremely recommended well worth it, the food and service is amazing. Nothing quite like eating lunch in your own Ocean Villa.

Water sports available was fantastic and so much fun, all included in price.

Beau Champ was our favourite restraunt but all food was amazing and very good standard. Lovely personal touch where all staff remembered you by name and always asked if there was anything they could do to improve our holiday.

Pool staff were so hard working and did anything and everything for you.

Don't forget to go see the Turtles near the golf course, hole 9 very rare opportunity, amazing creatures!

Would recommend this hotel to anyone, 10/10 for everything!

Thank you for making our Honeymoon a holiday we will never forget!

Room Tip: Ocean Villa worth the extra money if you enjoy snorkelling, amazing fish by our villa
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita? Share your experiences!