My wife and I were married in the Eastern Cape in mid-August, and then spent a four-day honeymoon at Hillsnek. We found ourselves constantly saying to each other how "perfect" everything was. Hillsnek really strives for perfection, and achieves it in every aspect of game reserve hospitality. Rather than go on and on, I will list the highlights:
1) Food. Our chef, Donald, cooked us some of the most innovative, delicious meals I have ever had. He incorporated local ingredients and unique takes on standard South African meals. Between the proper meals, high tea (which is much more than just tea), and the yummy snacks that we took on game drive, we ate SEVEN times a day.
2) Outdoor showers. In addition to bath tubs in the rooms, there are secluded outdoor showers behind every tent/cabin that are a delight to use.
3) Game drives. Our ranger was knowledgeable, funny, and knew exactly where to go to get us the closest to the wildlife, while remaining safe.
4) Every little detail. Hillsnek really thinks of every little detail throughout your stay. Things you never would have thought would make you more comfortable or feel more pampered suddenly appear (I don't want to ruin the surprise) several times a day.
5) Constantly innovating. There could be something monotonous about staying at any game reserve for too long, but Hillsnek is constantly changing the routine, serving meals in different places, changing the themes/goals of the game drives, creating new activities. Makes even a long stay constantly interesting.
We will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HillsNek Safaris is an intimate, luxury tented camp positioned on the banks of the Bushmans River. Situated in a tucked away corner of the Amakhala Big 5 Game Reserve, the lodge is 70km's from Port Elizabeth in the malaria-free Eastern Cape. An abundant variety of wildlife includes white and black rhino, elephant, giraffe, cheetah, lion, buffalo, zebra and a myriad of plains game. The stone, canvas and thatched main lodge is at the heart of the camp, with four private safari tents elevated on wooden decks that enhance the spectacular views of surrounding plains and bush. All tents have panoramic views of the African plains, and game viewing can often be enjoyed from the comfort of your bed. Personalized service and outstanding hospitality is the hallmark of every stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Tingo and Odigeo so you can book your HillsNek Safaris, Amakhala Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.