“THE BEST B&B AND STUNNING GARDENS!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Metamorphozes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valaire
Les Metamorphozes
Domaine du Prieure, 41120 Valaire, France   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Valaire B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“THE BEST B&B AND STUNNING GARDENS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Last year I was travelling down the Loire Valley on business. I was off the beaten track and found myself in this tiny village of Valaire. There was only one B&B that I could see, Les Metamorphozes. The gates were open and there was a sort of art exhibition going on. I was mesmerised. People were milling around, glass of bubbly in hand, looking at some very modern paintings indeed. The artists were also there, but my French was not good enough to converse easily. (It's better now).

I wandered around the gardens and found myself relaxing and just breathing in the beauty of the area. There is a lake at the bottom of the gardens with a small island on which there is a sort of oriental looking summerhouse. I sat for at least half an hour on the veranda of this summerhouse and just let the whole beauty of the area wash over me.

I put off rushing back to Paris and asked the hosts if they had a room. I was delighted when they were able to offer me a choice of rooms. Each room is different and has a theme. I chose the oriental room which overlooks the gardens and faces east so the sun the next morning came streaming in. The bed, by the way, was large and extremely comfortable. The room was very large and faced east and south. The rooms that I saw all have very modern ensuites with mixer taps.
Breakfast the next morning was a selection of hams, meats, cheeses and smoked salmon. I also had a choice of teas which is very difficult to find in France (tea is not generally good in France). I felt very spoilt!
Sadly, I was unable to stay for dinner as the hosts need 24 hours notice. I was sent to a charming small hotel up the road where the food was definitely gourmet and not too expensive.
I was just delighted with the whole visit.
I promised I would return and next time book early enough to stay for dinner too.
I had to leave the car on the roadside but there is very little traffic so that did not bother me much.
There is no public transport so if one wants to leave the car to go visiting chateaux it is difficult.
It is not a children sort of place. I think it is a relaxing place to be.
I paid 75€ per night which is probably the best quality/price ratio I have had for a long time.

Room Tip: It is situated near Chateau of Chaumont sur Loire
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

DEPLORABLE! OUTRAGEAOUS!
The house is beautiful, a real museum. Shame it lacks warmth and heart, basically because held in hostage by both owners we can describe as sinister, unpleasant, arrogant, rude, haughty and who excel at making you feel painfully uncomfortable.
You are "welcomed" by a warning not to eat fruits (or anything else) in the bedroom and to be careful not to spoil the bed linen otherwise you'll be fined over 200 euros! You are requested to wipe off the shower glass panel after each use and you are constantly reminded you are nothing else but an invited guest (true!...still a paying guest though!!!) and that this is their house.
They claim they know everything and are superior in every possible aspect to the average human being, (i.e the customer!), and therefore don't accept any diverse opinion. Milady, a depressive and neurotic "artist" as she likes to call herself, doesn't hesitate to insult your country and ancestors and condemns a whole nation to doom because she had a bad experience back in the 60s. We are witnesses, not without pain,to her extraordinary hatred towards Spain, who knows why?
If you are English and wish to have some tea you will have to undergo her boring and pedantic talk about Chinese tea and how much she knows about the sacred art of drinking tea and that the British don't have the foggiest idea about what a good tea is!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Valaire hotels

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

This is not a hotel but a 'maison d'hote' or the equivalent of a B&B. That concept is very dear to the hosts and they insist that they are not running a hotel and that guests should behave as friends visiting each others which means that they expect people not to ruin the rooms after their stay or showing up at anytime they want for breakfast as they do have a fixed schedule and insist on sharing this moment with their guests. Once those rules (which are more good manners) accepted, then you can only enjoy the stay.
The rooms are really awesome, decorated with great taste and very comfortable. The house is located very much in the middle of nowhere (the village has less than 100 people living in and is around 20 km from Blois but still very central for a visit of the Loire castles) and you do need a car but the other side of the coin is that you can enjoy watching infinity of stars in the night in a calm beyond description. There is a restaurant around 50 m down the road with good food (called l'Herbe Rouge) and a nice terrace; the breakfast with the hosts (!) is included in the price and there is plenty to eat (including very local cheeses). The property itself is located on a very wide garden with a water spot and several fruit trees where you can have nice walks and right next to the construction where the rooms are located, the owners run an art gallery that is interesting by itself.
One reviewer mentionned the hosts and as I wrote earlier, they do run their B&B with the purpose of sharing an experience with their guests so they will insist that you are in their home and stay at the same table as everybody else at the time they decide (for breakfast and welcome drink). They will not hesitate to ask your mind about various topics (including politics and religion) as well as sharing theirs. If one is open to this then this is actually a good experience but if one is scared at the idea of having discussions with people with more liberal and conservative ideas than his then this is something to consider before booking.
Recommanded for the experience. We will return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Nice place, big and clean rooms, cozy garden, silent and peaceful countryside. A really good restaurant just in front (we didn't dare to taste the home cuisine).
The only con is the hosts. They were incredible.
The lady welcomed us with a dry "do not haul your trolley bag on the gravel: it leaves tracks". And the best one - when we asked for a (very italian) slice of lemon with the breakfast tea, she replied: "we use very expensive tea: we don't want to spoil it with lemon".

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Hosts
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Les Metamorphozes? Share your experiences!