“Don't be fooled by exterior. Very good cafe with a few minor niggles” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Whistle Stop Cafe

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by exterior. Very good cafe with a few minor niggles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We called in for coffee and cake on a quiet raining weekday. It doesn't look great from the outside but with trust in TA we gave is a go and it's a good find.
A nice looking menu and plenty of seating available. The cakes we had were very good and l did overhear other people praising their food.
I appreciate this is my own opinion from a one time visit. I didn't find the service all that warm and welcoming and with only a few other customers there wasn't much atmosphere to fill the hall. I thought the menu was expensive but I have no reason to doubt the quality. This may be the angle the owners are going with which I can appreciate.
This is subjective criticism but based on a few cafes we've visited on holiday I found it lacking in the overall experience.
Ultimately I would return if in the area (I'm not sure there's much alternative) and would recommend it to others.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“What a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a fabulous place to eat in a beautiful location. We made a couple of visits while in the area ..... once for coffee and cake and then for a full cooked Scottish breakfast. Both were excellent. The latter cooked to order and served by efficient and friendly staff. I would certainly recommend this place. By the way, if you want to eat in the evening it's best to book and take your own bottle!

Visited May 2013
Higher Kinnerton, United Kingdom
“Unexpected fabulousness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Holidaying in the remote village of Kinlochewe, we (me, husband and children 9 & 11) were not expecting to find a cafe/restaurant of this standard. Although the outside is modest (although neat and well kept), the food was excellent. I visited for coffee and cake on one occasion and for a full meal on another. We were lucky to get a table for the meal as hadn't booked in advance and a number of later visitors were turned away. The menu is varied and full of local ingredients. My son had a burger and my husband a home made beef pie both made with locally sourced meat. I am a vegetarian and had a number of delicious options. There is no child menu but it is possible to order smaller portions of the pasta dishes which was perfect for my 9 year old. The cafe has not license but customers are welcome to bring a bottle. The venue is beautifully decorated with local art and there are some quirky artefacts in toilets. Apparently the mens toilet has a Margaret Thatcher nut cracker! We received great service on both occasions we visited.

Polmont
“Tribute to Liz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a regular stopping off place en route to the west coast, but not often enough on a Friday, when the scallops arrive. The last visit was unplanned and unannounced (on a Thursday evening so no scallops) The café was full apart from a table set for 6, but I was seated there anyway, enjoyed a beautifully cooked steak followed by the unbeatable sticky toffee pudding, and was on the road again within the hour. Can't wait to get back there again.

Stirling, United Kingdom
“Food all day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Any kind of delicious food at any time of the day. There is no standing on ceremony. Come in as you are. Steaks for breakfast or whatever you want. Good food, reasonable prices, lovely setting. What more could you want.