“The Fish and Chips are as good as they say” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Cabanas
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Stunning view over the river (Ria Formosa) Special meals by pre-order:Cataplanas, Octopus with sweet potatos, Seafood-rice, Salmon filet with rosemary sauce, Fried prawns in batter beer, Shepherds pie, Mixed fisherman's seafood buffet (shrimps, oysters, crabs, welks, prawns, razor clams, mussels)
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
“The Fish and Chips are as good as they say”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

So I've been reading about how great the fish supper is in here and had to try

I love fish but hate batter and mushy peas

This place has changed my mind. The fish was delightful. The batter delightful , thin, crisp with a slight lemon flavor. The mushy peas weren't as I had before, these were more a pea purée The chips although frozen were good ones, big and crisp

You get three pieces. The first comes within minutes of you starting your meal, you are then asked if you can manage another. Oh yes, fish this good you can so go ahead and order

Plates licked clean we decided to share a dessert. The fig and cacao tart which was like a tiramisu in texture and absolutely delish

Half a lite of wine and a coffee and the total bill was less then €25

We will head back for the lamb shanks very soon I think

Don't pass this place up. Great friendly service as well

Burnley
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I panicked when i saw some of the poor reviews...but either the reviewers went on an "off" night or it was a case of nothing will please them??? My wife and i had an excellent evening of good food and good service. One of the things i also liked was chatting to other diners, both English. Portuguese. The quality of our meal was very good as was the quantity we received....my only slight disappointment was the starters.....but the rest of the meal more than made up for that. You must go there and try it but book first as even in May it was busy. By the way .... The views are superb!!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Luton, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food ... And lots of it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Although we were staying in an all inclusive we fancied some time away from the hotel so decided to try Sabores da Ria as it had such good reviews. We were not disappointed.
Our first trip was for lunch. We sat outside where there is a great view over the estuary. We had the fish and chips but only managed 2 pieces of fish each, although more was forthcoming if we wanted it. For €8.90 it was a bargain and the fish was lovely.

Our second trip my husband had steak cooked on a stone, for which he was given a bib! The steak was enormous, a pound in weight apparently. Although he thought it was one of the best steaks he'd ever had he couldn't manage it all. I had the fish mixed grill and was quite happily eating my 3 grilled fish, new potatoes and salad when the waiter turned up with another plate containing 2 full size fish and 2 sardines! I gave it my best shot, and the fish were delicious, but on this occasion I had to admit defeat and food won! All that fish for €11. You can't get better value for money than that.
On our next visit we sat inside the restaurant as all the outside tables were booked but as there is air con it was fairly comfortable. I had the duck breast with caramelised onions which came with loads of lovely mashed potato and mixed veg. Yet again the duck with the onions was gorgeous. It was cooked medium rare which was explained beforehand by Edgar our waiter. My husband had the mixed grill which was pork, pork and more pork but delicious apparently.
On our last visit my husband had the beef steak a Sabores which came with a sauce. He enjoyed the steak but not as much as the steak on the stone. I had the lamb chops which were nice and juicy and cooked to pink perfection.
I have to say that you probably won't find better value for money in Cabanas. Not only do you get the quantity you also get the quality, as all the fish and meat is fantastic and cooked really well. Also, if you like a glass of wine with your meal then the house wine is €5.50 for a litre jug and is perfectly fine.
If you go to Cabanas you must go to this restaurant at least once but if you do you'll probably go back again .... and again.

Visited May 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Family restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We had two meals here on out visit to the area and both were very positive experiences.
The restaurant is unpretencious but there is a buzz about the place and the food is well cooked and fresh.The sardines,sea bream,prawns all top notch as was the fish and chips.Even better they serve the chips and one piece of lightly battered fish and then bring another piece and a third if you are up to it..all for €8-90. Their prices are considerably less then the UK or Ireland.A good wine list..Varcas( Varghas?) in both red and white are excellent.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Travira
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Returning visit to a great restaurant, fresh food, great value.
Exceptional fish plates
Nice, friendly, efficient staff.
Reasonably priced.