“Nice spot for lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice spot for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have stopped in here a couple of times on the way back to Glasgow from Perth. On both occasions the cafe was spotlessly clean and tidy, despite being busy. This is a stop off for coaches so the cafe can be extremely busy causing queues and wait for food but I have never experienced this as both times I have been there was early Sunday afternoon.

They have a selection of hot meals, sandwiches/rolls/paninis and baked potatoes. One thing I would consider a negative is there are only 4 or 5 selections of fillings for the sandwiches/baked potatoes so there isn't really a 'plain' option if that is what you are looking for. For example, they offer ham and pickle filling and cheese with red pepper and jalapeno chutney. I asked if it was possible to have a ham and cheese panini as they obviously have both these fillings. However, they won't make up paninis to order. They are made in advance due to business levels and they will only add cheese to the ham option or ham to the cheese option.

They also have a selection of HUGE cakes, I didn't sample any of these this time though.

Service was quick, there was no queue when we arrived and we probably waited just over 5 minutes for the panini's to arrive.

Staff were pleasant enough, no issues there.

There is a nice shop in Baxters, gifts, food and drinks, could spend a fortune in it!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Perth, United Kingdom
“Going downhill very fast, complete lack of supervision.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We are regular visitors here, at least once a month. Visited today, Saturday 16th February. On entering thd restaurant I found the top tray dirty, tried second tray down, dirty. By the time I got to 6th tray I gave up trying to find a clean one. Ordered 2 Panini, a tea and a cappuccino. Young girls were struggling to cope and forgot what was ordered so I got a tea and a latte. Said I had ordered a cappuccino so chocolate was sprinkled on latte.

Restaurant was filthy, umpteen tables were needing cleared, oh and no teaspoons. My wife asked for teaspoons and was told "oh sorry, I'll just get some", after 5 minutes I rather more forcibly reported there were no teaspoons, and after a further 5 minutes young waitress arrived at table, without teaspoons, asking how many I needed. I'd already stirred coffee with handle of knife. Classy service.

Pull your socks up Baxters, greasy spoon cafes provide better service than this.

And 2 tables in our vicinity were full of dirty dishes when we arrived, they were still needing cleared when we left.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, United Kingdom
“good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

lovely shop with lots of choice and unusual items, restaurant can be busy at times , with coaches but always had a good welcome and service. Slight change recently in the way the main course food is served a longer wait but alot better.

Visited February 2013
United Kingdom
“Good Food & Worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We visit Baxters on a regular basis and the food is always very nice and the staff friendly. The free relish is a great way to get us to buy one that we like ! We love browsing the shop and the building and toilet facilities is always immaculately clean

Visited January 2013
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea with Santa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was the best afternoon possible for a 2 year old for her birthday on Christmas eve. Santa was the best ever. His helper was delightful and could not do more to make the visit a success. Fab afternoon tea for her, activities with Santa and a present to boot. A must do for any child at Christmas. Just one niggle. I agree with the comments about the lack of table clearing and sticky mess in the main restaurant. The shop is ok but could be soooo much better!

• Visited December 2012