“Tried Unsuccessfully to Stay Here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rawley Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Rawley Resort to your Saves list
Rawley Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Kellys Road | P.O. Box 189, Port Severn, Ontario L0K 1S0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Severn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Avon, Colorado
“Tried Unsuccessfully to Stay Here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

I tried unsuccessfully to check in to this location when I arrived at dusk, mid-week in late August.

My wife and I were on a driving trip at the time and we did not have reservations. We just stopped by looking for a room.

The front desk person quoted me a room rate for a suite and mentioned that it had two separate beds. I responded that I was happy to pay the rate but that I wanted to sleep in the same bed with my wife. She said she had an executive suite but that she was unable to upgrade me at the standard price.

Given that it was after dusk in the middle of the week in late August, I asked her if she thought she would be able to rent the executive suite that night. After telephoning her manager, she replied "no". Neither she nor her manager seemed to put it together that they would be smarter to give me some kind of deal. They didn't even try.

I asked if I could see the two rooms and she replied that since she was the only one working the answer was no.

I decided not to check in and stayed at the nearby Inn at Christie's Mill instead. I am leaving a review of it on this site.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

We just returned from another excellent stay at the Rawley Resort in Muskoka. With easy access to and from Hwy 400, this beautiful resort in Port Severn comes highly recommended. Newly re-built in May 2007, this resort has a range of room styles and sizes in a number of different buildings, many with nice water views. The rooms are excellent -- spacious, clean, nicely appointed. The dining room is beautifully decorated, and the food is both tasty and well presented. A piano player entertains in the dining room in the evening. The staff are all friendly, and professional. In fact, we found this to be one of the best aspects of the resort. You get the sense that they all really care about their customers. Even the new "trainees" learning their jobs for the upcoming busy summer season were friendly and helpful. The resort is well-maintained both inside and out. We will be sure to return again -- to stay and to dine.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

We traveled to Rawleys Resort for an evening away. We received a great rate on a Waterside Loft that was absolutely beautiful! Everything in the room was in its place and very clean! We dined in the restaurant for all meals. The restaurant it self is stunning, very nice decor however I was not too impressed with their food. The menu is quite small which is fine, however the food was average and many options on the menu were not available.

The staff at the hotel are all very welcoming...we were not to sure where to park, and the chef who was outside was more than happy to help us.

The hotel offers a selection on DVDs that you can sign out from front desk complimentery. I thought this was great! The only issue we had at this property was ordering in-room dining. The restaurant closed earlier than what we were informed, resulting in us almost not having dinner and there was no menu in the room.

All in all we had a wonderful stay at this property and will definitly go back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

What a wonderful night away. My husband and I checked in on Saturday for one night. We had an Executive one bedroom suite. I cannot say enough about the decor, and the bed was heavenly. The bathroom had a large jacuzzi and rainhead shower.
We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant on the main floor and were not disappointed. The chicken stuff with lobster was excellent and the wine list was very good.

• Liked — The bed was very comfortable
  • Disliked — Heating fan going on and off through the night (not a big deal though)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

We went as a family there shortly after the resort re-opened. We really liked the rooms. Between us we occupied a variety of rooms: premium suites, executive suites and waterside lofts. It is clear that time and expense went into the renovations.

The food in the restaurant ranged from very good to excellent. One night we walked over to the Inn at Christie's Mill and had dinner and we really wished we had stayed at Rawley where the food was significantly better. The atmosphere of the restaurant at Rawley could have been cozier but we were all very happy overall.

We also had spa treatments at the Inn at Christie's Mill which is a tacky and outdated place, both in the spa and regarding the dinner menu.

We were at the Rawley Resort with two small children and there is really nothing for them to do, but the small pool area was nice.

Our main complaint was regarding the front desk staff who were very confused and quoted us completely different prices each time we called. They also verged on unfreindly. When we finally got there though, everything was fine. We requested a crib, and not only did they give us one, but made it very cute with toys inside and everything. I think this was the doing of one of the owners who was very friendly and accomodating. The rest of the staff were excellent.

Port Severn is a lock town and is not at all remote or woodsy, so if you go to this place you need to know that it is not "cottagey". Otherwise, it is a very good choice.

• Liked — Rooms, Food
  • Disliked — Making the reservation in terms of dealing with the front desk
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

Rawleys was just what I needed. I needed to get away from work. My husband and I were celebrating five years of marriage. We went to Rawleys for two nights. This place is ideal if you just want to relax by the pool with a good book or in your magnificent hotel room. I have stayed at 5 star hotels that weren't as nice. This place had GREAT modern decor, all the amenities one could want. It was tastefully done. Dinner was delicious, breakfast was alright as well. The service at dinner was a little slow, but they recognized that, and compensated for that. I can't rave more about our room, it was so gorgeous and clean. The pool was quite nice as well. The place is on a marina so you'll see boats go by as you eat on the patio. I did feel that the prices to stay there were a bit pricey and would only suggest that they offered package deals (like dinner and accomodations coupled together). I do intend to go back next year.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We booked for a two night stay after reading great reviews on TripAdvisor. We first ran into some issues when they booked us in the Executive Suite instead of the Waterside Lofts. After this we told them they had made a mistake and instead of an appoligy and good customer service they informed us they "never double book and we must have made the mistake and besides the lofts were full". This was besides the point, but since we were told the Loft was $450 a night and the Executive Suite was $400 we figured we'd save the $100 bucks and simply stay in the Executive Suite. We arrived and they had made another mistake on when we had booked at the restaurant (they booked us for Saturday night instead of Sunday).
However, our room was beautiful. We were in suite 301 and the view was not over the water, but the balcony was large and the suite was clean, bathroom was huge and the whole suite was nicely decorated. Luckily we were only staying here while visiting family during the day because we found there was not much to do (which is great if you want to simply relax).
In the end we checked out, and we were charged $450 a night (once again we were told it would be $400). However, no change was made. We informed them of all our inconviences and there was still no customer service. We were told that they would contact the person who took our reservation and call us to let us know "what happened". However, our vacation is over and this is too late...and still we never heard ONE apology.
All in all, it was relaxing if it weren't for the reservation staff (restaurant staff was GREAT, including Misty our waitress who had a great sense of humour and attitude!).

• Liked — Suite Decoration/Balcony
  • Disliked — Reservation/Front Desk Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rawley Resort? Share your experiences!