“Excellent Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rawley Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Rawley Resort to your Saves list
Rawley Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Kellys Road | P.O. Box 189, Port Severn, Ontario L0K 1S0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Severn
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Fantastic room and amazing view. We booked a suite on two levels in the separate building, directly on the water. We loved it, as it was clean, comfortable and cozy. We appreciated the tasteful details as the complimentary cookies, the classical music that welcomed us when we entered the suite, etc.
The staff at the desk and the lady who owns the resort were all friendly, helpful and welcoming.
I would definitively recommend this resort to others and, if possible, I will return.
A few steps from the resort there is a lock that allows the boats to overcome a difference in water levels, very fascinating to watch at. For the rest there is not so much to see at walking distance, but the resort is so beautiful that you don't feel the urge to go away from it.
The reason because I didn't give the resort a full mark is the restaurant. I hope that the staff and the owner will take my remarks as a mean to help them to make the stay at Rawley's even better and not as an unmotivated criticism.
While the breakfast surely presents a pleasant touch of class through the complimentary serving that the house provides on its own initiative, waiting between 30 and 40 minutes for an omelette, when there was very few other guests, is difficult to understand. We also had to repeat our requests to waiters in two occasions (one morning for an extra cup of coffee, the next morning for an extra slice of bread) because they just forgot it. However, considering that we were on vacation, waiting longer than normal wasn't a big deal for us.
A little detail that I would suggest for the management to take in consideration is to add a spreader knife to the dish with jams and peanut butter, because it's not so great to spread jam on the bread with the same knife that one previously used to cut the sausages.
However, the part of the experience that left us not too satisfied was the dinner, also because in a classy place like Rawley and with such positive reviews, the level of our expectations was quite high. My piccata was just okay, while my wife's steak was definitively hard and tasteless. She also ordered a dessert and the pastry didn't taste fresh, but rather as it had been there for a while waiting to be served. I don't know... we had only one dinner there so it might have been just an unfortunate coincidence and probably all the other nights the dinner at Rawley is top quality.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
After reading your review I found it to be very fair and reviewed with constructive criticism.
First of all thank you for your remarks on our waterside lofts. We are glad you liked the little extras and our amenities.Our waterside lofts make you feel like you are at home except you can sit back and relax and let us take care of you.
The staff will be pleased to hear your comments about their friendliness and being helpful.
Breakfast is our hardest meal of the day. It seems some days everyone comes at the same time so it's not like dinner when you can request reservations. The kitchen gets overwhelmed along withal of us. Many a times I myself have worked in the kitchen during breakfast service so I can answer this with experience. I cannot explain why you experienced this unacceptable service though when it wasn't busy. I usually recommend to guests you want to eat quickly and leave that they should come early so this is a surprise to me. I spoke with the staff but it's hard to know who was serving you when I don't know who you are and when you were here. It would be so beneficial to me if you could kindly let me know what day you experienced this breakfast and dinner service. If you call and speak with me or you can also speak with our Manager Lisa.

I have addressed your displeasure regarding your breakfast taking a long time, and the steak being tough with all our departments. The Chef would be very pleased if you could contact him and let him know which steak you had this way he can address our supplier so we can all improve on this. It is extremely important to us that our customer is happy in all areas of our resort. Your feedback has been shared with the dining room staff and the Chef. On behalf of all of us we sincerely apologize.
I think your idea about the extra knife for the jam is a great idea and I think we are going to entertain that idea.

We hope that this did not have a negative influence on you so you will return for another stay in the future.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Caledonia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Spent 2 nights at this beautiful Inn. Our room exceeded our expectations it was a lovely suite with beautiful furnishings and very clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Stephanie took my reservation over the phone and was on duty when we arrived,she made us feel so welcome. Breakfast in the dining room was great we had a window table each morning looking out over lock #45 of the Trent-Severn waterway. Now if only the weatherman had cooperated.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Rawley for a get away. Our staff will be delighted to know they helped
exceed your expectations. I left a copy of your review on Stephanie's desk and I know she's going to be thrilled when she reads it.
Your comments are very welcomed and very much appreciated by all of us.
You are right the weather was not on our side but hopefully next time you stay, and we hope it's soon, that the weather will be better.
Thank you for taking the time to share such a nice review on your past stay with us. We hope we can extend our hospitality to you again very soon along with the sunshine !!
Totnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were not staying at the resort but booked to have dinner there. The menu was interesting and all the food was well cooked and presented. The waitress serving us was superd and the food outstanding. Would definetly eat here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Your review was shared with the Chef and his staff and they truly appreciated your nice review.
We appreciate you taking the time to review Rawley and our team here. We all take pride in our guests services, from the front desk, spa, dining room and housekeeping to grounds keeping.
Everyone of the staff here enjoys the guests and happily assist in any way they can to make their stay special. We are happy that you were happy.
Thank you very much.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed here for one night in one of the terrace suites. These are in a separate building from the main and are very private. We had a two-room suite with a sitting area and small kitchenette. Everything was perfect - the bathroom was very spacious, the bed firm but comfortable; and the outside seating area was lovely.
We had supper and breakfast there as well. Our server on both occasions was very attentive and the meals were delicious.

The grounds of Rawley Resort are beautiful and well looked after. We enjoyed an after-dinner stroll around the resort.

I recommend this resort highly. All of the staff there were friendly and helpful. The manager went out of her way to accommodate us as we were a late arrival and we had no reservations.
Stay here, you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your Rawley experience. It's nice that you liked the terrace two bedroom studios. They are great for families and groups especially with the ground floor walkout to your patio. The patio offers nice water views also.
We are proud of our gardens and delight in hearing our visitors feedback. Cindy, our flower child as we call her tends lovingly to our gardens daily to make sure they stay blooming all season long.
Our herb garden is growing wonderfully this year also so Chef Andy is delighted too.
Our staff are always delighted to read nice reviews and we really appreciate your feedback. When you try hard to do a good job it's always a pleasure to be rewarded with kind words and to know that the hard work is making our guests stay the best it can be.
Should your travels bring you to our area in the future we would look forward to welcoming you through our doors again and we hope it's soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I would like to start off on a very positive note by stating that you have a beautiful place in a wonderful location. The restaurant staff and ambiance are both outstanding. I would like to think, that on the occasion I visited your restaurant, the chef was trying to avoid disappointment by serving a meal that really should have been taken off the menu that night, as he was clearly struggling to find enough lobster to put into our meal.

I know my friend has made her comments on my behalf already, so please don't shoot the messenger, you seem a little angry with her! I think she felt a little awkward as she had recommended your restaurant to me and I had wanted to take them somewhere really special to say thank you for their kind hospitably for the 2 weeks I had stayed with them in Port Severn. The restaurant, staff and location were not a disappointment, just the shortage of lobster, everything else was perfect, so thank you. Next time I'm over in Canada I would not be put off eating at your restaurant again, just more lobster next time please! Best wishes, Kathy from the UK

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

JULY 11TH -13TH another Perfect weekend at Rawley Resort Everything about this quaint little spot is fantastic .. Food was outstandingas usual .. after our fantastic dinner.. .we . sat around the piano with Eric who makes you feel like family..singing and .chatting like hes known you forever... such a fantastic atmosphere.. The complimentary breakfast has a wonderful touch with fresh banana bread and a healthy smoothie and a fresh fruit tray . delicous this place is.so relaxing you will simply love the décor . its such a quality resort .. can,t wait to go back .. Thank you liz and your wonderful staff...and a special thank you for the upgrade.. to your waterview loft .. simply superb..

Room Tip: all the rooms are fab ..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
OwnerRawleyResort, Owner at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Thank you for your very nice review and for sharing it on Trip Advisor. We are all so pleased to hear you returned to us for another stay and it too was pleasurable.
We were glad to make your stay special and to be able to upgrade you. When we have the opportunity, we too, enjoy upgrading our repeat guests. Your enthusiasm for Rawley and the staff is a great feedback for all of us to read. It brings a smile to everyone's face. That's a great motivator. We greatly appreciate kind words made by our guests through Trip Advisor or in person. We constantly strive to achieve high quality standards so when we read your review along with other reviews this let's us know it's working.
In regards to breakfast the Chef and his team bakes the banana bread and muffins fresh and everyone gets together to create a daily smoothie. How often do you get a shooter for breakfast !
Eric is family to everyone of every age group and loves to have guests join him around the piano. It's amazing how he can remember faces and their favourite songs. The more people singing with him the merrier. A truly fun way to finish off your evening.
We all look forward to your return and if I can assist you with your next reservation please call me as I am usually always here. If not leave a message and I'll return your call right away.
Please know that you too create a fantastic atmosphere. Again, thank you from all of us.
Thornhill, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We visited for a second time in Aug 2013. It is just a comfortable venue to relax and enjoy the setting and the great food. The prices are reasonable and I don't think you can get a better quality property in Muskoka. The only drawback is the fact that there is not a lot of local activity but Bala is a small community worthwhile visiting with a great bakery. Also, the Trent Severn Big Chute Marine Railway Lock 44 is close by as is Lock 45 right next door. This is a great property to visit and relax and enjoy the Spa Services.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, we are truly happy to receive a second great review from you regarding your recent stay. To be able to share in making your second stay with us delightful couldn't have pleased us more. Hopefully we can carry on the tradition for many years to come and soon I hope.
On the other side about your comments on things to do in the area please do not hesitate to contact me directly for some suggestions as to venues nearby Rawley. (even more bakeries)! I would be more than pleased to hear from you and we can discuss in more detail the following:
some uaint shops in nearby Coldwater which is close by.Very nice clothing store. Local activities include the Martry's Shrine (where Pope John visited) St. Marie among the Huron's, Discovery Harbour, Kings Wharf theatre, a boat trip on the day "Tripper" to Beausoleil Island in Georgian Bay (our kitchen can prepare a picnic lunch. Cycling and walking trails, horseback riding. Or you can sit back relax, visit the spa, sun at the pool, sip a refreshing beverage on the patio, maybe a banana split and sit on our waterfront Muskoka chairs, enjoy watching the boats go by on their way to Georgian Bay.
Looking forward to hearing from you and again thank you the staff are going to be so pleased to read your very thoughtful and kind review.

Been to Rawley Resort? Share your experiences!