“Food portions and quality down, prices sky high” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rawley Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Rawley Resort to your Saves list
Rawley Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Kellys Road | P.O. Box 189, Port Severn, Ontario L0K 1S0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Severn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Food portions and quality down, prices sky high”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I have to completely agree with the last two reviews on the dining experience. We have a cottage near Rawley lodge and have been visiting for several years now whenever we need a fine dining special occasion dinner. That summer, I took my boyfriend hoping to have another spectacular meal. The piano man Eric, was great as usual, and our server was excellent. Like others though, I felt extremely embarrassed by the menu and prices as I had told my boyfriend approximately how much it would cost him and it turned out to be twice what I had expected!
1. The portions were TINY, scallop appetizer was nothing, the fish I had was probably the size of my half my hand, with a very measly vegetables and mostly broth. His ahi tuna main was slightly larger, but came in at a hefty price. The wine list prices had also jumped significantly, and was not worth it for the two small glasses we had. Overall, I believe we paid over $150 for two glasses of wine, shared appetizer and two mains. Even for a nice meal in Toronto or another metropolitan city, that was ridiculous! Needless to say, we will not be returning but trying out some of the other restaurants nearby or simply cooking our own meals at our cottage where we won't leave hungry and our wallets empty after eating.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
barryhoneyman, Manager at Rawley Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
This review is most concerning as we pride ourselves on the quality of our food and service. It has been four months since you dined here and please know that at lot of changes have occured in our dining room. Since the unfavourable reviews about our dining room were listed we have made some changes to our menu. All these reviews were written four months after you all dined here and many changes have been made. Please know we are truly sorry for your disappointment and be assured we have discussed your feedback with all our team and take your comments to heart.
We do hope you will return and if so please contact me before you arrive so that we can discuss this in more detail.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We visited this restaurant for a 'special occasion' dinner in July 2011 and were very sadly disappointed!
A nice location, a pleasant restaurant - but that was it!
We were placed at the rear of the room, even we had made reservations, the food was very nice, what there was of it, but to say the portions were minimal, was being kind! On questioning the waitress, who was extremely friendly and helpful - and who unfortunately bore the brunt of our complaints - we were told that they had just got a new chef who had just changed all the menus. The restaurant had obviously seen the need to increase all the prices at the same time. There is value for money and there is 'rip off' and this definitely was not value for money!
The friends who were with us, who knew the place of old, were also highly embarrassed as they had recommended the Rawley Resort as 'somewhere rather special' for the evening.
So disappointed were we all, that we left after a skimpy main course and went home and had dessert and coffee at home instead! If there had been a good old UK fish and chip shop on the way, I would suggest we would have taken some home, as everyone was still hungry!
A great disappointment!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dining experience at Rawley Resort. Four months have gone by since you were here in July and many changes have occured including larger portions. I am sure you can appreciate that our Chef had just started the beginning of July, during our busy season. That is a big task to handle. We have received many compliments from numerous guests who frequent the restaurant. When reviews are justified, we don't mind remarks that give us the opportunity to rectify problems and fine-tune service. Constructive criticism is welcome, but remarks such as yours, "really letting itself down", is not constructive critisism when you never stayed here and enjoyed our suites, fine amenities and personal service which would have given you an overall picture.
We feel our prices reflect the quality of our food. After reading your other reviews it appears that your food choices are more selected to Italian, home cooking or pub style so this could be why you did not enjoy your meal. Fine cuisine such as ours is not like home style cooking.
The owner met you on the night you were here, and you spoke as her family is from Aberdeen where her family is from. I am disappointed that you never asked to speak to me, as I am in the dining room every night, and your concerns would have been addressed right away.
If you are ever in the neighbourhood again, visiting with your friends, who live in our area, please drop by and speak with me so we can discuss your concerns in more detail.
Please know that we all sincerely apologize for your frustrations you experienced in our dining room and welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further.
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We have eaten at the Rawley Lodge serveral times and always had a wonderful experience.
The food has always been great and Eric the piano player always entertaining.
We ate at the Rawley late April, the food was boring and mediocre! We went again this weekend, the food portions were small (my husband left hungry) and the prices have gone up by at least 35%. I believe they have a new chef? Please don't let this gem go down hill.....What does it cost to add a few extra vegtables???

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Constructive criticism is welcomed with open arms as it allows us to improve the hotel and restaurant for future guests, providing that the reviews are justified. We always discuss the few concerns we receive with the Chef, myself and staff. Fine cusines is not served like home cooking as the food is prepared to expand on the flavours and what should be served together with that particular meal. Each plate is created and served differently. We have discussed your review and to satisy some of our guest's appetites we have added more vegetables to the plate.
Your remark that our prices have gone up 35% is misleading. Our prices have increased 5-10% due to the higher cost of services and food. This increase is the first we have made in 5 years and still leaves us at the minimum industry margins. Your April dinner was prepared by the Chef that left us at the end of June, so it was not the same Chef. Our new Chef enjoys a fine reputation in the restaurant business and we routinely receive many compliments from our guests. We are truly sorry that you were not pleased with the lack of vegetables, but if you had let your server know right away, they would have been more than pleased to look after your request. For your future information, Eric, the piano player, who plays here many nights travels and plays in different places so he is not here all the time. We offer a couple of wonderul pianists and a great guitar singer so that all our guests staying for a few nights may enjoy a variety of entertainment during their stay.
I noticed that you and your guests did not stay with us, and only dined in Rawley's Grill. You live in the neighbourhood so if you wish to stop by or give us a call we can discuss this in more detail. We hope readers visiting Rawley's reviews on Trip Advisor observe the collective wisdom of all the reviews, and know that we pride ourselves on personal service and quality throughout the resort. Please come for another visit and let our great team show you what we do best "Look after you."
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Finally, after a few less than impressive performances rawley is getting it right. We were never a fan of the food, and the service has always been friendly but not professional. We were a little worried about going this year after the less than enthusiastic front desk girl informed us "there have been a lot of changes over the last couple of months." like it was a bad thing.

Well the changes have all been for the best and even though our reservation making was a little less than impressive, everything else was amazing! Food has always been our least favorite part of rawley and we usually eat our, but this time we ate every meal at the resort. Our dinners were incredible and the wines were an equal match, and a lady named Mary Lynne gave us impeccable service and one younger girl we had on another stay had improved a lot.

I had to call the resort manager Mike a few times to arrange some special things for my anniversary and he made it all happen, exactly the way I had hoped, and even added a few touches of his own. We met Mike at the resort and he is one of the few people you will meet in this business that really genuinely cares and goes out of his was to make your stay perfect.

To the girl on the front desk who may or may not be there still...Change can be a good thing, and at Rawley it is! Good work! We will definitely be back to see what else they have in store!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with us at Rawley Resort. Thank you so much for your very kind words. Your review was shared with our staff and feedback such as yours is not only delightful to hear but can be used as a learning experience. This way all of us can work at improving so that your next stay with us will be even better.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

First of all I would like to thank everyone who’s created this oasis and keeps maintaining it. We just fell in love with this property.

I’ve booked the suite with the waterfront view for two of us, since I wanted this stay to be romantic. But it just exceeded all our expectations! The room was very clean with tasteful and upscale décor. Our balcony was huge with absolutely stunning view.

All employees were very polite, we felt like we were welcomed, any request was fulfilled immediately.

The only criticism was the breakfast, which had a very limited selection and not the same every day.

We had a lunch once in their restaurant with water view, it was good not the best, but not overpriced (30$ pp with wine and beer).

I defiantly recommend this hidden gem to all my friends and will be back very soon.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have mixed feelings about my stay at Rawley Resort. It is a beautiful group of buildings with a spa, pool and gift shop (which I didn’t get a chance to view).
The desk staff was a mix of the perfect greetings and friendliness to an individual who called me “man”, wasn’t clean shaven and had his shirt half tucked in and half un-tucked with his tie in an awful mess. It looked like he just woke up. This particular gentleman basically talked to me like he was with a group of friends, to the point of annoyance and didn’t know much about anything when asked. I ran into the night watchman, late a few nights running and he dropped his broom and rushed to me as soon as he saw me lingering around. He was the total opposite of the other “man” at the front desk. I talked to him for a short while about the resort and surrounding attractions. He brought up the resort’s spa and pool but not to the point of pressure. He was cleanly groomed and well kempt, wearing the same uniform as the other individual. When checking in and out the service respectable. I was offered a hand with my luggage and there are a bunch of brochures in the lobby with local things to do as well as flyers for other resorts and golf destinations. The ladies at the front desk are quite helpful.
I attended a function there and wish I didn’t have to pay with my own money. Room prices seemed through the roof and unjustified. Food was good, but highly overpriced. I didn’t even see steak on the menu! The wait staff in the dining room was very good at points. Courtney is worth requesting. The live music was much too loud at times and turned us off spending more money on drinks to the point we went to our rooms to hear ourselves instead of talking over the music. A few quite intoxicated loud, young people made me wonder if the bartender would ever stop serving them but I didn’t stay around long enough to find out. Thankfully there is an LCBO across the street.
The overall cleanliness of the resort was better than good. Rooms looked like they had never been used before. No ice machine anywhere to be found, I had to ask a server where to get ice and that took ten minutes. I wanted to go up to the lighthouse but I was told it was out of service. To me that was one of the biggest let downs. It is such a beautiful area, building and atmosphere but without any view to enjoy it all.
I give my stay there 3 out of 5 for the nice resort but the little negative things seemed to add up. Also, the room prices were as steep or steeper than anywhere I’ve stayed and I travel often with my wife and family. I would shop around before returning the next time I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My husband and I travelled around the Muskoka region staying at different inns before arriving at Rawleys resort .with no reservations they accompanied us with a water front 2-story villa. No one helped us with our luggage, the time was about 6:00pm the pool chained up maintenance had left for the day we were told so no swimming. then again we had no reservations.We were amazed at the bedroom, volted ceiling double doored balcony over looking the harbour, boats where docked there but we still had privacy, no t.v. in bedroom only in livingroom main floor.En-suite had no bathtub only a large shower and only one sink tho the bathroom was huge.Dinner was a mouth watering filet mignon and an amazing salmon 2 glasses of house wine total $107.00 the menu selection was minimal including the breakfast menu . Breakfast was included.The staff very friendly then again there were only two maybe three couples staying there when we did probably do to the chilly and stormy weather. theres a couple places to grab food outside the resort if you choose to.A cute town named Coldwater is a 5 minute drive away. There is not alot to do at Rawleys but relax which is what we wanted.For that touch of class we probably will return but with reservations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rawley Resort? Share your experiences!