“Compelled to review after Amazing Holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Avithos Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avithos Village | Svoronata, Svoronata 28083, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Svoronata
Hayling, null, United Kingdom
“Compelled to review after Amazing Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Yes, this is my first review of a holiday, so you may wonder why I would care/bother to do review now. However, after our first overseas trip as a family I was compelled to do something that would help reflect this resort in the glory it so deserves.

A hidden gem of a resort, recommended by friends and whilst somewhat skeptical at first, my hubby and I decided we were ready to travel with 3 children aged 7, 6 & 3.

Even before children I've never wanted to be in a 'kids club' resort, and now that I have 3 of my own, I still have no desire to be. 2 weeks at Avithos only validated that we don't need any clubs.

Booked almost 12 months ago, I have listened to many comments from fellow parents on how the children will tire, and how we 'must be mad' not to book the children into a kids club. However, we work full time and juggle a busy life, children at school and preschool, so a perfect opportunity to relax and spend time together. This is the perfect balance of retreat for adults, Greek culture, and fun for the children. Why?

Well, retreat wise, Avithos is a very peaceful resort mixing all ages, nationalities of families. For parents, the pool and its well maintained cleanliness is a haven for both parents and children. My daughters 'took off' in the pool which has a mix of shallow areas and deep alike. Plus a satisfying 'baby pool' for my 3 year old when not in the larger pool with us. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the pool area - which was clearly cleaned daily.
I never thought I could enjoy a pool with 3 children, but the amount of sun beds and seated areas around the pool make it easy to be safe whilst all ages enjoy the pool itself.

The pool area hosts a bar which serves food ample for children and adults alike. Angela's french fries are amazing, and the drinks are well priced to keep you cool.

As a family of 5 we chose a maisonette which was shown to us upon arrival by Christina. I was shocked at how pretty the interior was, boasting much space for 5 of us, including large sofa beds for the children, a table and chair area, and a large master bedroom upstairs. Also there was a lot of outdoor space with 2 sun loungers and table and chairs.
I was pleased to see a large fridge in a family apartment. The maisonette was serviced daily with extended services every 3rd day or more upon request.

Avithos is impeccably maintained, the garden areas and walk way's are immaculate. Nothing is too much trouble for Nikos, (and also Christina) who are there to help and make you feel like its your first holiday ever.

We've already booked for 2014 as I truly believe its popularity will only improve.

Its a great base for exploring the island too. Surrounded by beaches, the lively (though certainly no Faliraki) Lassi (try Sirtaki for food and a lovely chill out garden), and capital Argostoli (try CaptTable just of the main square for a good deal on lovely food) make Avithos a good balance of peace but access to other parts of the island.

Sami - an hour on a stunning drive over the mountains to see some of the most breath taking views. The caves there where interesting, cool in temperature, and all children loved it. (boy/girl). Sami port was quiet, and stunning.
A slightly challenging drive to Antisamos beach which was pebbly but not affecting any enjoyment at all. Laying in the gentle waves looking at the scenic view and surrounding was fantastic.

Overall, I cannot recommend Avithos enough. Its a true hidden diamond, and almost want to keep it to yourself to protect the haven in the sun.

Room Tip: The maisonettes provide plenty of room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My mum and I have just returned from avithos resort. we picked this resort after the reading the amazing reviews on trip advisor I cannot emphasise enough how accurate they are. Resort is gorgeous, clean, massive pool, fantastic outdoor bar/seating area. Nikos and his family are lovely and nothing is too much trouble for them, offering me and my mum lifts to a friends villa nearby and picking us up at 12am! One day they ran us into argostoli because they needed to go there anyway so offered us a ride.
Had the perfect break and will definitely be back, thank you so much avithos resort!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel is close to the airport of Kefalonia. Service is excellent and the personnel very nice to the customers.
From there you can also rent a car and visit the island of Kefalonia, which is so beautiful...

St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Having visited Kefalonia annually since 1985 (usually twice a year), we have seen many changes, made many friends, and stayed in various wonderful apartments, but the Avithos Resort with it's facilities and meticulous management surpasses all. We have this year completed our 10th. visit to the Resort, and were accompanied by our daughter and two grandchildren who live in California (the girls are aged 12 & 10 and this was their 3rd. visit). The Resort is superb for them with it's large pool and many nearby safe beaches for sea swimming, which we all enjoy. The attention and help given to us, and all their clients, by every member of the staff, ensures that every visit is a pleasurable experience. The reception staff, Nikos, Vasili, and Christina are always ready to greet the visitor every time one passes, to advise on places to visit,or on tavernas for good food (and there are many nearby), or just to have a chat.
Our visit with the family was in June but we are already booked to return at the end of August.(this time unfortunately without the family as they have gone home to America)

Room Tip: A good variety of types of apartment -- All are excellent
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Southsea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is our 3rd year back to the Avithos Resort - we found it by chance the year before when we had a villa round the corner and just wanted a luggage room for the day and yet, we found a total oasis of relaxation (and the SECOND largest pool in Kefalonia!), stayed for the day for a look around and instantly fell in love with the place!

So we've now spent the past 3 years back each July. We travel as a family of 7 (mum, dad, 2 x kids and 3 grandparents) and we stay in 2 of the maisonettes which are perfect for us. The pool is huge and the grounds and apartments are always kept spotless thanks to the fantastic team that Nikos has. Nikos and Christina always look after us and help you with anything you need. Katarina is always a pleasure to chat to at the pool bar in the evening (think my son has a crush on her) and Angela works flat out in the pool bar at lunchtimes - please try the Kefalonian Rigadana (sp?), it's a bit like a Greek brushetta - and the chips are scrumptious! Angela knows as soon as i approach the bar that i'll be placing an order for an ice coffee and is always happy and helpful.

We have now raved about the Avithos Resort for the past few years, to the extent that some families we got chatting to this year and last had read my previous reviews (see i am a real person who actually goes to the resort!!). Also, we have 3 sets of friends and their families who have also fallen for the resorts charms and have visited also - huge pressure for us that they liked it, but then who wouldnt!

Top tips would be;
Restaurants & Bars -
1. The 2 Tavernas on the Avithos Beach do great food and the beach bar is very 'Cafe Del Mar'.
2. Butlers Restaurant in Lassi has the most amazing underground bathroom/museum
3. Da Veronicas has a fantastic snazzy chill out bar with a kids activity area to keep the munchkins occupied whilst you can peruse the huge cocktail list.
4. Palatino up near the Castle of St George has the most amazing meze food (please try the baked aubergines....mmmmm)
5. Premier in the square in Argostoli does nice food, caters well for kids and does the most amazing array of ice creams possible
6. Not sure of the name of the restaurant but it's in Argostoli overlooking Lixouri - it's very swish and has chill out sofas behind glass walls. The food was lovely and the setting just amazing. Cocktails are about 10euros so it's not the cheapest place but the location makes it worthwhile.

Beaches -
1. Avithos - great atmosphere & our favourite, this year quite a few stones have kicked up near the shoreline but it's still an amazing beach. Best beach bar on the island!
2. Trapezaki - very chilled out and very sandy all the way out - nice rustic beach bar and great snokelling.
3. Ai Helis - like Trapezaki and the opposite way to Avithos about same distance
4. Kaminia - a large stretch of beach which is very wild and free - lots of sunbed options at different stages on the beach but the one we went to they are FREE
5. AntiSamos - pebble beach but stunning location and great snorkelling (and pedloes)
6. Aghia Thomas - very small coupe of beaches but lovely and sandy - also has a rock platform formation which you can dive off with a ladder for climbing back up
7. Katelios - we didnt go on this one but it's on the way to Kaminia and looks lovely
(Myrtos is pretty from the look out but shelves off considerably and biggish waves so not good for small kids)

Excusions;
1. Captain Vangelis Ithaca Trip from Skala.
2. Assos and Fiskardo are nice little fishing villages worth a visit

You wont regret staying at the Avithos Resort, it's an extremely relaxing place and you'll feel welcome from everyone there.

I've posted some photos and a video - although the video was taken on our last morning there so the apartment looks a bit messy - i should have done it as soon as we had it cleaned!

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just returned from our first visit to Kefalonia, a perfect 2 week break at the Avithos Resort. Kristina, Nikos and his brother (Vasily hope I\'ve spelt correctly) are a wonderful team and were always ready with a smile and advice and tips on the best beaches/restaurants to be found on your travels, and offering a lift if required. All of the staff are superb, the rooms are kept immaculately clean, and the gardens which are so well tended to, are a dream perfectly framing the magnificent pool area and snack bar, where Angela made a wonderful Greek baguette (my husband has craved them since). Car hire was made incredibly simple and exploring the island was a dream come true all the magnificent beaches of which our favourites were Pessada, Antisamos and Myrtos (blown away by the view) and Ai Helis, however we have left some to explore on a return visit which I hope will be next year. Thoroughly enjoyed eating at Esperides, Dum Spiro, the Akropolis (and popped into Crazy Georges for enormous glasses of wine) and the restaurants at the Avithos beach. We also managed to catch the turtles in Argostoli and strolled around the shops enjoying coffee in the cosmopolitan square. We drove up to the national park for amazing views of the whole island and stopped off at the Robolo winery (a necessity you understand). My favourite spot was Assos, so pretty, will return just to spend more time there, my husband\'s favourite spot was Fiscardo and my daughter enjoyed the tiny coves at Pessada, the water is beautiful to swim in.. When we left on 30 June it was the usual mad panic at the end of term and I\'m delighted to say we returned home totally chilled and relaxed and suitably bronzed and eager to return again very soon. Thank you to everyone at Avithos for making our stay with you so memorable and enjoyable :)

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've never felt inclined to write a review before but Nikos and his team deserve to be recognised.
I stayed here from 11th July for originally one week with a friend. Surrounded by stunning scenery and pure luxury I couldn't bear to leave so did a Shirley Valentine and stayed an extra week on my own!
I have never stayed anywhere like this: it truly feels like a home from home.
The place is an absolute haven and cannot wait to return.
Jeanette. (11th - 25th July 2013)

Room Tip: I chose a ground floor room. The gardens are stunning and you have the option to move in or out of t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Avithos Resort? Share your experiences!