“The Most Amazing Holiday!” 5 of 5 stars

Avithos Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avithos Village | Svoronata, Svoronata 28083, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Svoronata
London
“The Most Amazing Holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We whizzed through baggage claim and customs at Kefalonia Airport and were met by the driver organised by the team at Avithos. He took us the 10 minute transfer to the resort along with another couple from our flight. He pointed out some local sights and where the nearest shops were and assured us that we had made an amazing choice for our hotel.

On arrival the room was not ready as we had landed in the morning; we were immediately switched to another room and our bags were taken up while we were given the guided tour. So many smiling faces around the pool and everyone looked so happy. The sun, needless to say, was beautifully warm.

Within 7 hours of waking up in West London we were in our room. First mission a cold drink and a swim.

The staff could not do enough for us including dropping us off and collecting us from various local restaurants. They organised car hire, sketched where to park in the main town and told us some of the local stories and must see sights. They helped us pick a shop for proper Kefalonian gifts away from the tourist trails and booked tables at the busier restaurants, even recommending local wines. After setting up a new business it was the first time I relaxed for so long in about 3 years and nothing was ever too much trouble. Angela who ran the restaurant and bar by the pool was like our holiday-Mum. She fussed around us at breakfast and made sure we never needed to ask for anything.

The resort is relatively small and never seemed busy or never noisy. We chatted to other guests and kind of spent 8 days drifting in a bit of a lovely dream. Before we left to return to the UK we booked for next year and are bringing my parents.

I cannot recommend this resort enough and hope to return many times in the years ahead. Book direct and use Easyjet to get there - we saved money on the 7 day package price, the transfers were organised by the resort and we got 8 nights rather than 7.

It's what you dream of to find a resort in a beautiful location, without a long transfer, that isn't too crowded and where you are treated like you are staying with friends. Avithos is just that place.

Room Tip: We were overlooking an olive grove in 214 - peaceful and lovely for a glass of wine on the terrace
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
Wivenhoe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Avithos resort fully lived up to my expectations - the five star reviews on here are well deserved. I spent three nights there in the middle of july. The best thing about Avithos has to be the staff - very friendly, helpful, welcoming. Room was comfortable, clean, everything I needed. Wireless internet rather sluggish, but then again who goes to Kefalonia to use the internet?

The thing that really impressed me about Avithos was the way they dealt with an Expedia booking error. I booked 4 nights through Expedia, but when I emailed the hotel to confirm the booking they told me that they only had a room for me for three nights. This was the evening before my flight, so it was too late for me to arrange anything else, but Avithos had already taken care of everything - they booked me a room in a nearby hotel, which was almost certainly more expensive, paid the different themselves, and drove me there after I checked out. To me this speaks very highly of Avithos (but not so much of Expedia - if I were you I'd just go directly to the hotel website).

The area is beautiful, Avithos beach wonderful and not far away either by car (5 mins max) or by foot (10-15 mins). If you don't want to explore very much I would say a car isn't necessary (though the roads aren't designed for pedestrians, so do be careful!), and I was happy spending a few days between beach and hotel by foot. My only complaint with the area would be the restaurants - the service is almost universally great, but the food not so much. If I go back (which I'd very much like to) I think I'll stick to To Enetiko, by Avithos beach, which was by far my favourite restaurant in the area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Έδεσσα
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a 5 star hotel in everything. Me and my family (wife and two girls) stayed for a week in mid July . The rooms are perfect- we stayed Gia one night in the family room which is spacious enough with a garden in front so the kids have the space to play. The other nights we stayed in a maisonette which is simply perfect with a small kitchen, refrigarator and mwave oven. The pool was fantastic, very clean and with plenty sunbeds. The breakfast had everything you want. Beaches nearby are sandy and well organized but if you want to go to myrtos ( the most famous) you will definitely need a car. Finally, the staff are all of them the most kind and helpful hotel staff I ever met. I will go there again for sure

• Stayed July 2013
Worthing, West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Lovely hotel, always clean, brilliant location, really hospitable staff and hotel owners always go out of their way for you. 100% on all levels, we will be coming back. Amazing holiday and all down to you guys, thank you so much.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The whole resort is run seamlessly, with owner, Nikos, giving you helpful advice on where to go and what to see as well as even offering us a lift down to the beach on a couple of occasions. The resort itself is well kept with a fantastic pool area surrounded by sun loungers and gardens. The rooms are spacious and well kept with enough space and cutlery to make your meals should you wish but it is also well located to eat out on the island as well. All the main beaches are walk-able and the surrounding area is fantastic. We had a fantastic week with thanks to Nikos and his team.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I would like to recommend a simply wonderful place to stay on the Beautiful island of Kefalonia. We (a party of over 30 friends and family) just returned from a one week stay on the island and we cannot say enough good things about Avithos Resort! Impeccably clean and neat, exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, great food, wonderful rooms (from one bedrooms, to villas) beautiful grounds and pool area, poolside bar and café.. everything was better than expected. Nikos was my main contact, although everyone (except a few cleaning staff and grounds keepers) speaks impeccable English. All were very accommodating and helpful. And while we stayed in Svoranata, they also have villas up north on the island. The prices were very reasonable as well. We traveled with a car, which you will need to get around as the resort is a small distance away from things like stores and restaurants. Angela (the wonderful poolside bar attendant) can recommend excellent restaurants if you wish or Nikos can arrange for food to come to you! On the other hand, if you wish, you can cook your own meals in their fully equipped kitchens in your room. If you are looking for a better than expected visit to Kefalonia, this is the place to stay! We highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We spent one week at Avithos Resort. A totally relaxing and enjoyable experience. Excellent, friendly team at the hotel. Good-sized pool that never felt over-crowded. A quiet resort that is ideal for couples and families. It's on the outskirts of the local village Svoronata and a short 5 min walk to one restaurant, or a further 10 mins to another on Avithos Beach. - Fantastic fresh food at the Avithos Beach Restaurant (Calamari starter!). For the week that we were there, we hired a car for three days (via the hotel reception) and it cost €90 in total. Recommend trips to Antisamos beach (where Capt Corelli was filmed), Myrtos beach (prob 2nd most famous and beautiful beach in Europe), Yia Efisimia (to hire a 20hp boat and travel up the eastern coastline stopping at private beaches along the way, €70 for the day). Also, Assos is a great trip and has a nice bay as well as seeing the turtles in Argostoli harbour between 9am and 12pm.

The hotel is family-run and nothing is too much trouble. They helped us plan our trips out and were more than happy to recommend good places to eat around the island - hence the detailed description above! They even offer a quick lift to a local restaurant and pick-up if necessary. Also, the hotel is only a 15mins (€15) taxi journey from the airport.

Overall, a relaxing, enjoyable and genuinely hospitable experience... Would return again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Avithos Resort? Share your experiences!