The hotel was the worst venue for a holiday, we have experienced in travelling the world. Cold and uninviting. The hotel did not have a name.
The short-comings of this hotel on Thursday 2nd June 2011, are as follows :-
1. The hotel was not open to receive customers on arrival
2. The room allocated was not a double room, but a twin bed room
3. The room stank of stale urine
4. Air conditioning did not work and the filters were clogged
5. The french doors to balcony could not be closed and secured. The door frame was rotten and the glass was standard 3mm plain glass, which rattled.
6. The louvre doors to the balcony could not be closed and secured.
7. The balcony safety rail was not secure and the concrete structure of the building around the securing points of the rail was cracked and loose from the main concrete structure
8. The balcony looked out to a field of weeds and abandoned fallow land. There was an abandoned table tennis table in a clump of trees, surrounded by weeds.
8. Ants were in abundance within the room
9. The bathroom shower head did not have a fixing point for showering
10. The bath showed evidence of corrosion of the base enamel
11. The linen was dated and raggy
12. There was no food available or bar facility
13.There were no other guests at all in the hotel
14. The breakfast on 3rd June 2011 consisted of a slice of spam, a slice of cheese and a slice of bread, black coffee together with grounds and a diluted orange juice.
15. There was no internet service
16. The reception did not have Taxi information
17. There was not any tourist information
18. The room did not have safety or any guest information
19. The room did not have a hotel telephone directory or emergency contact telephone numbers
20. The swimming pools were not attended by life guards.
The above is a precis of what was experienced by us and we raise serious concerns, of this hotel. A more serious concern is in respect of health and safety issues, which are clearly being neglected.
We had to spend one night in this hotel, against my better judgement whilst arrangements were made to transfer to a suitable hotel.
Distress was caused to myself and my wife, who cried at the appalling experience and findings of the Hotel Irrinna.
Had it not been for an English couple we met who had arrived after us, we would not have been able to eat on that evening. We were taken to a local taverna by the English couple, returning to the hotel at 2200hrs 02/06/2011. We went to the room and found immediately that the hotel closed and switched out all of the lights.
I am not of the ilk to make complaint using expletive or abusive language, but make complaint based on hard and fast fact.
I am of exemplary public standing and my standards are set high. The Hotel Irinna rates lower than low on my scale.
There is lack of enthusiasm evident to hosting of guests.
To move on, Myself and my wife arranged a taxi to transfer to another hotel in Argostoli.
Extra expense was incurred to transfer, which was unnecessary, in the making of telephone calls and arrangements of taxi tranfers.
This review is true in every sense.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Here is our reply to this review, sent to the T.O. which speaks for itself
Report response as inappropriate
On 2nd June, early afternoon, Mr. and Mrs…. arrived at the hotel, and immediately checked in. They were allocated in a sea view room, at the second floor of the building.
After a while, they came down and went to the Hotel’s bar, where they ordered and were offered beers and afterwards they directed to the pool area.
Later they asked for Internet access. WIFI internet service was down on that day. For this reason we did apologize and give them the alternative to use a PC with internet access in one of Hotel’s office, i.e. in private. They thanked us for that and seemed to be very happy especially if we consider they stayed in that office for approximately 40 minutes.
In the evening we were informed, that other guests of the Hotel invited them to dine in a tavern nearby (abt 200 meters), and a staff member of ours, offered himself to take them with his car there. Late when they came back, night audit staff was at his place.
The next day in the morning, Mr. … came at the reception and announced they would leave, because “there were not many guests in the Hotel, and he and his wife wanted to communicate with people and talk”. We had already been informed by Company’s representative that they would leave for the reason mentioned above). Later they came down with their luggage and Mr. … came at the reception holding a newspaper, and, very friendly in fact, commented on an article, having with me, personally, a pleasant conversation (this newspaper we were requested to deliver to another guest).
In the meantime we were asked to call a taxi; immediately in front of the Client, we called a taxi and advised the Client of the expected time of taxi’ s arrival and of its code number.
In view of the above facts it is obvious that Clients did not want “ to cause embarrassment to themselves and to the ownership” according to their statement, and at second thought they decided to harm seriously the Hotel and subsequently the owership.
All the above facts, as outlined above can be evidenced, if required.
As regards his statement:
Client’s allegation that there is no name is not correct. There is a huge sign with the Hotel’s name in front of the main gate of the Hotel.
1. His allegation that the Hotel was not open to receive Clients:
Second June was the opening day of the Hotel. The Hotel was ready (pools in operation and staff on their place). If they were right, how they checked in?
2. Room allocated a twin room. As it is widely known and commonly used , in the tourism industry the term “double” is referring to the room’s occupancy, except for when it expressly refers to the type of bed(s). More specifically “double” is also the term used by the “hotels4U” for selling our rooms. In addition to this, there is a field for any special (not guaranteed) request for the potential guest, which was left blank in the case of the Client in question. However would there be anyone to believe that the Hotel would have refused to allocate The Clients such a room –even if his request would be only expressed at the very moment of check-in, or afterwards – given the fact that due to the low occupancy at the opening day the request should be considered “said and done”?
3. The room was not occupied before, and the Hotel had just come of a very intensive cleaning due to its opening at that date, therefore argument for smells as described, are TOTALLY UNTRUTH.
4. The airconditioning DID OPERATE. It had been checked before and after Mr. and Mrs. …’s departure and the respective room was occupated afterwards by other Clients and later also occupated by other ones. We assume that, as it is an individual airconditioning unit and operates with a remote control, Clients did not use the remote control in a right manner and they NEVER ASKED how it operates.
5. +6. French + external doors. French and external door to the balcony are wooden and DO CLOSE.
7. Balcony’s safety. The balcony’s rail is ABSOLUTELY STABLE. It is a shame to recruit false statements well beyond the real situation. We kindly request you to ask the local rep to come and check it.
8. Fallow land. The Hotel is built in a land estate of about 70.000 square meters.
There are extensive gardens with flowers and grass around the building and also in some parts there are forest trees. This room gives nice views to the sea. The Client focused where he deemed would help him to add more and more against the Hotel.
9. Ants. The Hotel is situated in the countryside; it may happen and it would be immediately remedied, if reported to the reception.
10. Fixing point in bathroom. There is not a fixing point in bathroom. In this room there is a bath, not shower.
11. Bathrooms are cleaned with special intense products, which may affect their appearance to some extent, but at no case the operation or hygiene of bathroom items. And at this point we beg you to ask you rep to check this bathroom and advise you personally.
12. There are not raggy linen in the Hotel. Hotel’s linen stock may be examined by rep, if required.
13. Bar facilities. How Clients did have drinks upon their arrival? On the 2nd June staff was at the Bar until 24.00 hrs.
14. No other guests. It was the opening date. A few guests did arrive on the same day, and more guests were expected and arrived to the Hotel on the 5th. Usually holiday makers prefer a quiet, peaceful, place to spend their vacation. On the other hand one cannot blame those who state they would be happier with many other guests among them; and we do believe that this was the real reason of Clients’ decision to depart, as they declared at first instance.
15. The breakfast of 3rd June contained:
French coffee or nes café (in packet), milk, tea.
Bread, toast bread, crackers and cake.
Butter, marmelade, and honey.
2 kinds of cereals.
Ham + cheese.
16. Internet. (Please see our statement of facts). Clients did have internet access for as much time as they liked, free of charge.
18. Taxi information at the reception. Please see the facts above. ALL the telephone numbers of taxis’ organizations and taxis’ drivers individually are available at the reception and taxi service was immediately made available to the Clients upon their request. Telephone call made by the reception to the taxi organization for the said Clients is included in the recorded calls of the day.
19. No tourist information. The reception operates on 24hrs basis. There is everything to the service of Clients, as information, assistance or suggestions, currency exchange, maps which we offer to the Clients at no cost.
20. No safety indication in rooms. On the back of every room door, there are written safety indications. Obviously the Clients did not see the respective indications.
21. Telephone directory. There is no telephone directory. We refer to the reception’s services.
22. Lifeguards. The Pool is fully licensed and operates according to the Greek law.
23. The Hotel is not advertised as a Hotel suitable for disabled people, due to the various levels it has, resulting to the need of stairs.
In conclusion we kindly point out, that the Hotel has been operating for more than 30 years and with MedHotels for about 15 years. Every year we have repeated Clients who come again and again and bring their new members of their family to the Hotel. In view of all the facts stated above, we kindly confess that we were astonished to receive this report from the Clients’ part; we repeat we were told by themselves almost apologetically, that the reason of their departure was that of the low number of guests and moreover, your Company’s rep after having communicated with the Clients and obviously having their agreement, agreed to a further charge of one night more, as cancellation fee.
Apart from the above, it is essential for us to point out that the Client did not keep his reservation, not to give publicity of his letter until he heard from you “with a satisfactory result”. Consequently we cannot but express our deep disappointment and state that this behavior aiming to harm, lies beyond our understanding . At the end the idyllic place where the Hotel is situated (before the gulf of Agia Pelagia) overlooking the Ionian sea, surrounded by trees, gardens and pool, is far away (perhaps at the opposite side) of the HELL, that the said Client wrote in a very popular site just to harm, without any obvious reason.
We thank you for your attention.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.