“Very bad service and breakfast! Not recommended!” 1 of 5 stars

Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Barnagay Ilog Malino, Bolinao, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bolinao
Quezon City, Philippines
“Very bad service and breakfast! Not recommended!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I just arrived yesterday from our stay at the Puerto Del So resort. I must say that our experience has not all been that pleasant and far from the expectations one might get from seeing inviting pictures in their website or the net. I don't particularly write reviews but this time I am compelled to express my thoughts for a stay that could have been far better.

First of all, the place itself is nice. I like the facilities like the houses, the pool, the jacuzzi, the green grounds, and peaceful setting. But that is all that I like.

Housing

We stayed at their Casitas which has 2 separate rooms and shared bathroom. With the promo, it costs 7k plus. Without promo it costs double. My impression? It's not worth it. It's nice but 14k or even at 7k discounted, go somewhere else. It's overly priced I think. If you spend 7k for a room at a 5 star hotel, you get far better accommodation, food and service. More on these below.

Breakfast

Our package included free breakfast, but you have no choice as to what free breakfast you can have except Continental breakfast. Fine, Continental is not bad I said until I saw what it was. About 6 pieces of triangularly sliced toasted bread, and one little piece of butter which is not even packed. Now tell me, how in the world will you spread one little piece of butter onto 6 pieces of bread?!!! And toasted bread they say, well, what a disappointment their toasts had been. The bread were more like heated but NOT toasted. No ham or bacon, no jelly or marmalade, no eggs even. Nothing of what makes a typical Continental breakfast. And they have the face to say it's Continental. One foreign guest present also commented, "I don't know from what Continent it came from." They also served a small plate of fruits. The sliced watermelon and half ripe mango was good, but the banana, the cheapest fruit you can find no matter the season, they served only half!!! What an insult! No wonder they give no other choice for your free breakfast. They are shortchanging customers. If you want another type of breakfast, you must "upgrade" and pay extra P100. Then they give you ham and eggs. Why must you be first be upset before you eat?

Staff

Here is an area that really made me mad. I called the front desk twice at about 8am from our room. Nobody answered. I had to walk to the office and the door was still locked. Somebody from outside noticed us and instructed somebody and the office was opened. I asked why there was no one in the front desk when I called? The answer I got from the resort manager by the name of Bernie Diaz is that the call is directed to security when the office is closed. I insisted that whether it was forwarded or not, nobody answered the phone at a time when the front desk should be opened which is 7am as written in the notice that I read. He did NOT apologize but insisted nobody called them. He made me feel that that I am lying. I asked again why no one is manning the front desk at 8am when in fact the notice on the desk says that it is open at 7am? His answer is the same. Awful customer service!!!! They pride themselves as 3 star international resort and nobody is available at the front desk even at 8am? What if you suddenly have a need during the night or in the early morning, who takes care of you? Angrily, I told him I will notify the main office here in Manila.

When were were walking with our luggages, some of the staff saw us but never did they offer to help! Is it too much to expect to be helped when we were carrying our luggages? I'm not saying all staff are unhelpful for there were some who were. For most part however, especially the resort manager, they could be more helpful and professional.

Smoking

There were ashtrays by the poolside. I guess smoking is allowed in the area. Just imagine guests smoking while your children are by the pool.

Parking

If you have a car, don't expect to part inside the resort. They have an unlighted area outside the gate. They say they have roving guards at night. But just be aware that it's outside the very gates of the resort and most of the area is hidden from the post of the guard house.

My recommendation, go somewhere else. It's overrated. Or else, EXPECT HIGH PRICE WITH TERRIBLE SERVICE. Then you will not be disappointed like we did.

CarlosP

Room Tip: Try nearby resorts.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
ph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

i heard and read a lot of bad and good comments on this resort, but when we reached the place we were greeted by Security personnel with a smile and lead us to the Front Office. Ms. Rona and Ms Elma greeted us upon our entry to the lobby. They serve us with welcome drinks (tanglad juice) and a shell necklace (what a surprise, feel like i'm in hawaii). They explained everything to us. Their housekeeping staff assist us with a smile and while walking they just keep on explaining to us about the resort. We enjoy the swimming pool and the jacuzzi then at night we had a massage (Leoniza and Irene), a relaxing night for us. The following day we had breakfast, we enjoyed their danggit and boneless bangus. We tried their landtour wherein they took us to 16th century lighthouse, the wonderful cave, sea cave is fantastic (we stayed their for long hours), we enjoyed to watch the waves and some story bout that place. We enjoyed so much with our stay at this Resort coz of the their courteous staff. They always wear a smile on their face. Eventhough we pay too much on our room, it replaced by a friendly people we encountered every now and then during our stay.... i will definitely recommend this Resort (the best so far in this province) Keep up the good work. God Bless to all..

Room Tip: for a couple choose the single bed..
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The location is in isolated part of Bolinao, Pangasinan, Philippines. Its a bit pricey for the room. The first one the air conditioning didn't work well. We were moved to a different room where the A/C worked only a little better. The beach wasn't a good one for swimming. It's too shallow for a considerable distance until the break water.
On the other hand, we enjoyed the candlelight dinner at a table right on the beach and on the next day we got serenaded at our table, which was romantic.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I went to Bolinao for the first time last May 31, 2012. Because of some negative reviews of Puerto del Sol in www.tripadvisor.com, I really didn't expect much from the said resort. However, all my misconceptions arising from the bad reviews were all erased during my stay there.

Upon our arrival in PDS, we were greeted by courteous employees: from the security guards, the front desk clerk and the Resident Manager himself, Sir Bernie.

Sir Bernie, very courteous without being intrusive, toured us around the resort.

Puerto del Sol is truly a piece of heaven, the best resort in Bolinao. The Mediterranean-designed villas and casitas looked inviting and comfortable. The place is well-maintained and clean. We were very impressed with the property management of PDS.

We had our breakfast at the Aplaya, the restaurant facing directly the resort's beachfront. We didn't expect much from the food, as there are many not-so-good comments about it. Again, we were surprised. First, the waiters are very professional and courteous. Their service is up to industry standards, down from the way they handle the glassware to the way they deliver the food. Now, we understand why the food is quite steep compared to the other resorts.

We ordered French toast for breakfast. The serving is quite big. It is served with butter (lurpak, no less) and jam. Brewed coffee is delicious. Presentation is also up to hotel standard.

Again, now, I understand why the food is priced as it is. It is professionally prepared, presented and served. The ingredients used are the best one can find in the market.

And did I say, the breakfast is delicious?A bit on the bland side, as they follow international standards.

All in all, Puerto del Sol, is one of the best resorts I have been to. This coming from a seasoned Travel Agent as myself.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

The place is fantastic but the good news ends there. Very expensive resort. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! Don't book the upstairs Mansion rooms. The aircon doesn't cool the room esp during the day. Air from A/C is blocked by the heat from ref & tv. The downstairs mansion beds are too small for males. Foreigners beware! The numBer fo the Housekeeping is NOT working. During our whole stay it just keeps on ringing. The next option would be to call the Front Desk. Wrong move! It's manned by inept staff. Can't answer simple queries & simple requests take too long to get resolved. Bidet holder in upstairs Mansion #8 is broken. Bidet is on the floor - who would use that??? Shower ring curtains are rusty.While we were there, we were served juice & iced tea that tasted more like water. Food is either bland or so-so. The resort is very far, very expensive. Don't allow yourselves to suffer our same fate. But if you have low standards, go ahead & try it for yourselves. But if you have high standards, you've been warned

Room Tip: Book at another resort. NEVER Puerto Del Sol. Their service sucks!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Was able to go there a few weeks back with my friends. Upon entering the resort you will notice the beautiful garden and the inviting pool. Staff were all courteous and all welcoming. Unfortunately, we only decided to eat lunch during our stay, for we were supposed to go somewhere else that time.

The resto has a homey feel to it as one can see the turquoise sea from the dining deck. Food is great. Love their "Lechon kawali."

Later that afternoon, when we reached our destination (the resort we were supposed to go) and saw the place. We all began to think of Puerto del Sol and how that place was far better than that densely occupied resort. So, we decided to pack are things again and headed to Puerto Del Sol. Well, by the time we got there it was already full. Regrets.

Anyways, there is always a next time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Auburn, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

On the website, they don't say that we are not allowed to bring outside food, our food got spoiled(what a waste of money). They don't allowed you to wear shorts and shirts to used the swimming pool. There's nine of us came to this place, they charged me for nine people to used the beach, plus $100.00 a night to stay overnight. It's one of the reason that never to comeback ever again to this place!!!!!! We stayed overnight planning to go to land tour, no service available.In our room the lock to the door is broken, they fix it using scoth tape, coffee machine is broken, faucet was nasty, it looks like nobody cleaned it forever. Service in the restaurant was horrible, you have to flag down server to get something, they don't come back and check up on you. We pionted a tourist who relieving himself on a shoreline and he said; it's ok because he was checking out. It's ridiculous answer coming from resort staff. The Wi-fi is ridicilous, very very poor, slow............they charge me $12.00 to used it for 6 hours and it's not even working in our room. You have to be inside the restaurant for the wi-fi to work and still very slow and inconvinient for the guest. We came all the way here from United States to enjoy the resorts, but what we have are all disappointments as soon as we get there. We spent a lot of money to see this resort and now I know it's not worth it! We will tell everyone, we know in the U.S.not to ever come here, it's a waste of money and time, disappointments, frustrations and headaches. We don't recommend this resorts to anyone!!!!! Don't come to Puerto Del Sol it's the "WORST RESORTS EVER"!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort? Share your experiences!